Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
ESO is actually a really good game that is very fun to play. It's a bad MMO, but it's a great single-player exploration game. Pretty much every race, class, and spec combo is viable (and really, really easy to change up on the fly), so you can be a Khajit sorcerer tank if you want to. You can play an orc healer rogue class if that's your thing.

If you play it like an MMO - race to quest hub, level as quickly as possible, look up a perfect build online - you will burn out and complain about it. If you wander around and find the neat poo poo they've put in various out-of-the-way places, you'll have fun.

That's my pitch: it's a bad MMO, but a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

a messed up horse posted:

ESO might be fun if you've not played many MMOs before? It's really not doing anything special and slams head-first into typical MMO design about halfway through the second area.

No offense intended, but this sort of attitude definitely bounces off ESO quickly. I did the same thing the first time, in fact. I went in expecting an MMO, playing it like an MMO. And it's a bad MMO, probably worse than most. For a while, it was pretty hostile to grouping in general (no group finder, difficult dungeons, and quests that vary between group-ready and requiring every individual member to complete... individually).

But I maintain it is a very good game. If you go into it expecting a cool single player game with a lot of players running around, you'll have fun.

If, however, you go in expecting to stampede to max level by racing between quest hubs, it's definitely not your bag.

Give it a try if you're on the fence. It's a good 20-40 hour single player game.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Brave New World posted:

I'm definitely going to play TOR at some point cause I hear the story is great and I'm a huge fan of both Star Wars and old school BioWare, but is it really true that the game is pathetically easy? Is it really as faceroll as I've been hearing?

The story in SWToR is not even close to "great". I hear a lot of people espouse this opinion and it makes me sad to think that this is what passes for great writing. It's okay. The big deal is that it's a long personal story - which is cool, your decisions have some impact on the characters around you - that's fully voice-acted.

But the story itself is a basic children's-book story.

I played ToR for a month of so, and hated it for about half of that. The game was made as a time-waster MMO; instead of, say, loading directly into your ship, you needed to walk down a series of long corridors in which you couldn't mount or sprint. The whole thing was just designed to take as much of your time as possible. I remember when they went F2P they locked sprint away behind a paywall - not sure how much more blatant you can get that "yes, this game is designed to make you spend as much time as possible on it."

I'm sure things have changed by now, because people complained bitterly about it. I just strongly dislike obvious time-wasters in MMOs (grinding rep, running down corridors, farming lockboxes, etc). Which, in turn, means I don't like a lot of MMOs :)

• Locked thread