Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Back on Super Tuesday I became a democratic undecided delegate for my Minnesota House of representatives district #60b, which is east-central Minneapolis. i'm not very familiar with state politics, so I want Goon help in deciding.

We have

http://www.phylliskahn.com/index.html Phyllis Khan, the incumbent

V.S.

http://ilhanomar.com Ilhan Omar the challegner

I'm expecting a call from Phyllis Khan tomorrow night, the two issues that come into my head immediately are Police Shootings; the fact that runoff from Minnesota farmers in the Mississippi River causes a death zone in the Gulf of Mexico; and making sure our drinking water doesn't turn into Flint. How do I intelligently get her to address these

FULL COMMUNISM NOW and Accelerationism suggestions need not apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Actually, vote Trump.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What America Needs is a Khan imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also how the gently caress do you get your house rep to call you personally

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well i just googled, and holy poo poo did omar get a concussion at the 2014 caucus after being threatened by a khan supporter?
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2014/02/allegations-threats-bullying-follow-cedar-riverside-caucus-brawl

quote:

MinnPost has learned that the day before the Cedar-Riverside caucus, Warsame told another council member, Andrew Johnson, that he should warn his aide to stay away from the caucus or there could be trouble for her.

Warsame is supporting longtime incumbent DFL Rep. Phyllis Kahn; Johnson's aide, Somali activist Ilhan Omar, is widely believed to be supporting the challenger, fellow Somali Mohamud Noor, though she says she's neutral in the race.

Omar did attend the caucus, and ended up in the hospital with a concussion.

Noor supporters said their supporter, ZamZam Ali, won out over activist and Kahn supporter Mohamed Jama to run the meeting.

After the disagreement over who would run the caucus, Jama stood on a table and began chanting his initials. That’s when chaos broke out, with diverging stories from both sides over who threw the first blow.

Jama said Omar slapped him before she was hit. Omar denied that and said a group of women attacked her while others held her hands

if you get a call from Khan you might want to ask her about her position regarding this incident

i've never even been to minneapolis, nor have i participated in politics beyond casting a vote, but i'm inclined to be sympathetic to omar here

speaking very generally it might be good from the standpoint of achieving optimal representation to give a member of the local east african community a chance to represent her community in the legislature, but that's heavily contingent on the personal qualities of the candidates. that story makes me feel like omar might pass that test, but you're in a better position to judge

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Aliquid posted:

also how the gently caress do you get your house rep to call you personally

Be an undecided delegate! Kiss my ring congresswomen!

Baron Porkface has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Mar 8, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ noice

sounds like Omar may have a chip on her skull over this race

vv ur right

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Mar 8, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

its a lady whose last name is omar i think

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

its a lady whose last name is omar i think

Yes, a black Somali lady. If she was a Gay Black Muslim I would have voted for her instantly, but as a straight she has to work for it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I really like that Minnesota has been consistently behind electing immigrants to office throughout their history.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
She supports $15 minimum wage and would probably be a fresh face. Get the new blood in there.

Omar comin

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Ask them their opinion on FULL SOCIAL DEMOCRACY NOW

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
vote for hillary op

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im willing to be told like 'khan is the most important person in the legislature for defending all things that are good how dare you unseat her' but it feels like unless omar is like deeply obviously bad at legislating you should probably vote for her

of course if khan is any good at this politics thing she'll have enough delegates in her pocket to get elected without worrying about you. but that's just a guess! i pulled it out of my rear end!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

im willing to be told like 'khan is the most important person in the legislature for defending all things that are good how dare you unseat her' but it feels like unless omar is like deeply obviously bad at legislating you should probably vote for her

of course if khan is any good at this politics thing she'll have enough delegates in her pocket to get elected without worrying about you. but that's just a guess! i pulled it out of my rear end!

I can't for the life of me find the actual caucus results becuase the news is all about POTUS. In my precinct Khan won by 1 delegate with 3 undecided but I don't know about the rest of the district.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
vote for whichever one hates the movie Fargo more

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
vote for whichever one hates Brainerd more

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Rep Khan is DFL-Lead: Legacy Funding Finance, member of State Government Finance and member of Ways and Means. For as good of a legislator Ilhan Omar could be she will not have the seniority that Rep Khan has and will not take her place on these committees.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

karthun posted:

Rep Khan is DFL-Lead: Legacy Funding Finance, member of State Government Finance and member of Ways and Means. For as good of a legislator Ilhan Omar could be she will not have the seniority that Rep Khan has and will not take her place on these committees.

this is good information, thanks. i guess the follow-up question that occurs to me is, who takes her place if she's unseated by a fellow DFL member? assuming the gop doesn't take control of the chamber, would khan losing her seat be a setback in terms of policy or just a chance for lower-ranking members of the party to move up the ranks? is there a specific legislator who would take her place that would be worse in terms of policy outcomes?

if she's got some specific ability to get good progressive [your favorite left-of-center buzzword here] poo poo done then i could forgive a few concussions in the caucuses, i'm 'pragmatic' like that

not that my opinion matters but w/e this is the internet im just talkin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

karthun posted:

hmm, yes, but what about a decade from now?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Minnesota's politics are wierd as gently caress sometimes. I think it's the only one that has elected multiple third party politicians (usually Green Party) to office in the 20th century.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Aliquid posted:

hmm, yes, but what about a decade from now?

In a decade Ilhan Omar will still be a relative backbencher. These seats are basically seats for life and it takes 20-30 years to trickle up the seniority.

oystertoadfish posted:

this is good information, thanks. i guess the follow-up question that occurs to me is, who takes her place if she's unseated by a fellow DFL member? assuming the gop doesn't take control of the chamber, would khan losing her seat be a setback in terms of policy or just a chance for lower-ranking members of the party to move up the ranks? is there a specific legislator who would take her place that would be worse in terms of policy outcomes?

if she's got some specific ability to get good progressive [your favorite left-of-center buzzword here] poo poo done then i could forgive a few concussions in the caucuses, i'm 'pragmatic' like that

not that my opinion matters but w/e this is the internet im just talkin

First off the GOP do have control of the house. I fully expect the DFL to get it back this year and for house control to trade back to GOP in 2018 and back into DFL hands in 2020 when we can fix some of the hosed up districts. Secondly Mary Murphy, who was elected 40 years ago in 1976 is the 2nd ranking DFL member. Rep Murphy will probably have to choose between chair of Legacy Funding and chair of Education Funding because I doubt the DFL leadership will let her have both. In regards to Ways and Means, the DFL-Lead there is Lyndon Carlson Sr. He was elected in 1972.

I disagree with Rep Khan on a number of issues, but I do have to say that she and the rest of the DFL elected leadership in Minnesota have done a good job. 2017-2018 will be the last 2 years of Mark Dayton and Khan. Both of them still have major legislative agenda issues they want to get through. Might as well let them.

-Troika- posted:

Minnesota's politics are wierd as gently caress sometimes. I think it's the only one that has elected multiple third party politicians (usually Green Party) to office in the 20th century.

poo poo man, the two party system in Minneapolis is the DFL and the Green Party.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Omar comin' OP

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You should just vote for whoever won the state.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

greatn posted:

You should just vote for whoever won the state.

Usually state house representatives aren't voted on over the whole state.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

karthun posted:

First off the GOP do have control of the house.

hell, i should've looked that up myself. thanks for responding with information and facts and whatnot

a quick google indicates there aren't any somali-americans in the minnesota legislature (?) - i guess that seems vaguely 'too bad' to me, but i couldn't substantiate the argument that now is the time and place to change that (since it looks like the primary must decide this seat, the gop ran a somali-american and he got trounced in 2014 it looks like). i'll just leave it at that. could be interesting

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As someone who recently lived in Minnesota, I'd say Khan. It's rigged such that senior members have more power than newbies, so if the person who has been there a while has done a good job, it's helpful to keep them in.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Pick posted:

. It's rigged such that senior members have more power than newbies

That sounds like the fault of the senior member.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the likelyhood that the Ways and Means position will go to another Democratic even if it's not my own?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

how the gently caress can you elect a wrestler to run your loving state?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

how the gently caress can you elect a wrestler to run your loving state?

Friendly reminder that Donald Trump is also a professional wrestler.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the likelyhood that the Ways and Means position will go to another Democratic even if it's not my own?

100% if it aint an insider you vote for.

Compromise your values for the sake of bettering your network.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

100% if it aint an insider you vote for.

Compromise your values for the sake of bettering your network.

I was referring to the odds of the position not going to a republican.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baron Porkface posted:

Friendly reminder that Donald Trump is also a professional wrestler.

and whats the loving deal with trying to smear the DNR when you get caught giving a blowie to a fellow legislator? you dont loving call a cop a liar; you ask god for forgiveness and you defund the agency which the officer works for until such a time as the officer offers a mea culpea that he actually saw nothing and is so sorry for all the trouble hes caused

like, how the gently caress can you trust a state to govern itself when its legislators put their marriages ahead of ratfucking with money?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Source your quotes please.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baron Porkface posted:

Source your quotes please.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/gop-lawmakers-caught-half-naked-in-car-admit-trying-to-smear-cop-who-busted-them/

quote:

Minnesota State Reps. Tara Mack and Tim Kelly apologized to “law enforcement” but not the park ranger they claimed lied about them making out in a car in Lebanon Hills Regional Park, where Kelly was discovered with his pants unzipped and pulled down three weeks ago.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
like come the gently caress on, save your spring flings for an icehouse on Kabetogama like a good elected

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im writing this post to remind myself to ask her to change our stupid state flag.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Realtalk: I would select whichever one promises to eradicate mosquitos as a species in this state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I'd go with Omar, her website is better.

• Locked thread