Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Rep Khan is DFL-Lead: Legacy Funding Finance, member of State Government Finance and member of Ways and Means. For as good of a legislator Ilhan Omar could be she will not have the seniority that Rep Khan has and will not take her place on these committees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Aliquid posted:

hmm, yes, but what about a decade from now?

In a decade Ilhan Omar will still be a relative backbencher. These seats are basically seats for life and it takes 20-30 years to trickle up the seniority.

oystertoadfish posted:

this is good information, thanks. i guess the follow-up question that occurs to me is, who takes her place if she's unseated by a fellow DFL member? assuming the gop doesn't take control of the chamber, would khan losing her seat be a setback in terms of policy or just a chance for lower-ranking members of the party to move up the ranks? is there a specific legislator who would take her place that would be worse in terms of policy outcomes?

if she's got some specific ability to get good progressive [your favorite left-of-center buzzword here] poo poo done then i could forgive a few concussions in the caucuses, i'm 'pragmatic' like that

not that my opinion matters but w/e this is the internet im just talkin

First off the GOP do have control of the house. I fully expect the DFL to get it back this year and for house control to trade back to GOP in 2018 and back into DFL hands in 2020 when we can fix some of the hosed up districts. Secondly Mary Murphy, who was elected 40 years ago in 1976 is the 2nd ranking DFL member. Rep Murphy will probably have to choose between chair of Legacy Funding and chair of Education Funding because I doubt the DFL leadership will let her have both. In regards to Ways and Means, the DFL-Lead there is Lyndon Carlson Sr. He was elected in 1972.

I disagree with Rep Khan on a number of issues, but I do have to say that she and the rest of the DFL elected leadership in Minnesota have done a good job. 2017-2018 will be the last 2 years of Mark Dayton and Khan. Both of them still have major legislative agenda issues they want to get through. Might as well let them.

-Troika- posted:

Minnesota's politics are wierd as gently caress sometimes. I think it's the only one that has elected multiple third party politicians (usually Green Party) to office in the 20th century.

poo poo man, the two party system in Minneapolis is the DFL and the Green Party.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

-Troika- posted:

Jesus gently caress how many D&D posters actually live in Minnesota? This is starting to weird me out a little.

All of us do. That's why posting drops off during bike riding season.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

KAHN BABY KAHN

e: Is it really about "firsts" despite similar politics?

It's about Khan wanting to get an equal rights amendment for the Minnesota State Constitution. It will be 10 years until Ilhan Omar will have any seniority to get anything done.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Was talking with some folk recently. Apparently, there is a lot of room to cut MNDoT's budget and get rid of some useless folk who demand thruput with no concern of anything else other than "BUT MY REAR END COLLISSION STATS!!!!"

What I'm saying is we should save this state a boatload of money while making others money, reducing health disparities, all while SLOWING THE MOTHERFUCKING RATE OF TRAFFIC AND GETTING MORE FOLK TO WALK.

And fire anyone who disagrees in MNDoT.

Don't worry, with the rip up of 94, 694, 280 and 36 coming you will be able to walk faster then you can drive in the eastern metro. Next year we have 169. God 2017 will be the worst for traffic in a generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

Your highways are gently caress'n monstrocities. Bury them and build on top.

Live gently caress'n closer to where you work

I'd be happy if we could get rid of THAT loving KMART.

• Locked thread