Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Back on Super Tuesday I became a democratic undecided delegate for my Minnesota House of representatives district #60b, which is east-central Minneapolis. i'm not very familiar with state politics, so I want Goon help in deciding.

We have

http://www.phylliskahn.com/index.html Phyllis Khan, the incumbent

V.S.

http://ilhanomar.com Ilhan Omar the challegner

I'm expecting a call from Phyllis Khan tomorrow night, the two issues that come into my head immediately are Police Shootings; the fact that runoff from Minnesota farmers in the Mississippi River causes a death zone in the Gulf of Mexico; and making sure our drinking water doesn't turn into Flint. How do I intelligently get her to address these

FULL COMMUNISM NOW and Accelerationism suggestions need not apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Aliquid posted:

also how the gently caress do you get your house rep to call you personally

Be an undecided delegate! Kiss my ring congresswomen!

Baron Porkface has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Mar 8, 2016

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

its a lady whose last name is omar i think

Yes, a black Somali lady. If she was a Gay Black Muslim I would have voted for her instantly, but as a straight she has to work for it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

im willing to be told like 'khan is the most important person in the legislature for defending all things that are good how dare you unseat her' but it feels like unless omar is like deeply obviously bad at legislating you should probably vote for her

of course if khan is any good at this politics thing she'll have enough delegates in her pocket to get elected without worrying about you. but that's just a guess! i pulled it out of my rear end!

I can't for the life of me find the actual caucus results becuase the news is all about POTUS. In my precinct Khan won by 1 delegate with 3 undecided but I don't know about the rest of the district.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Pick posted:

. It's rigged such that senior members have more power than newbies

That sounds like the fault of the senior member.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the likelyhood that the Ways and Means position will go to another Democratic even if it's not my own?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

how the gently caress can you elect a wrestler to run your loving state?

Friendly reminder that Donald Trump is also a professional wrestler.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

100% if it aint an insider you vote for.

Compromise your values for the sake of bettering your network.

I was referring to the odds of the position not going to a republican.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Source your quotes please.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Im writing this post to remind myself to ask her to change our stupid state flag.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Ralp posted:

This is an incredibly powerful platform that I wish more politicians would adopt.

Is this seriously a thing?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Do you ever get the gently caress out of that shithole which is the poor hipster's version of a bearded chicago to visit outstate?

Because boy o howdy let me tell ya, we got an island outstate in the family, and in the loving summer and fall if you aint in the cabin by sundown you gonna get bit

Gonna be real loving funny watching zika come to America

Are there more mosquitos than during the Bush administration?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

-Troika- posted:

This state has AT LEAST ten thousand different lakes in it, and tends to have long, hot, humid summers. Mosquitos are endemic here.

Right but doesn't the food chain need mosquitos?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

As much as a state fair needs cheesecurds

You aren't building your case.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just got a call from Ilhan Omar, talked about the following:

-She says neither the DFL or the state or local governments did anything about that caucus assault, if Khan doesn't provide on hell of an explanation and evidence that she's done something against it I'm going to hold it against her. If this had happened in Chicago or Boston I would've thought that was a mafia attack.

-She wasn't aware that the north American Vexillogical Association rated our flag 67/72 of state and Canadian province flags. https://nava.org/digital-library/design/surveys/2001-State-Provincial-Flag-Survey.pdf I asked her to look into the process by which Canada got it's new flag.

-She believes in eliminating grand juries in order to make prosecuting cop shootings more effective and just. I'm going to ask around about this, because i don't necessarily believe her.

-She wasn't familiar with what is called non-point source pollution and the fact that runoff from Minnesota and Mississippi river state farms causes a dead zone in the gulf of mexico. I didn't press her on this because I only asked on behalf of some environmentalist family members. As far as I care Louisiana and Mississippi can drink our cow poop water, gently caress them.

I also got a vague idea of the delegate count, the numbers weren't with her at the time she called

Ilhan has 141 or 52% of delegates
Khan has 47 or 17% of delegates
Muhammad noor has 9% (he wasn't at my caucus site so he can :w2byob: )

If no one gets 60% of delegates it goes to a primary

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I forgot to update!

two Fridays ago I got a call from KHAN!

-She was much more informed about nuclear power. She was a bit slippery on why Minnesota should have a nuclear power moratorium; she said that there weren't good options for waste disposal, people informed about nuclear power know that this is an issue of bad law, not the limits of technology.

- She was on the ball about non-point source pollution and gave the recent example of shooting down a Republican scam to poison the water https://d229l5sflpl9cp.cloudfront.net/static/vetotext/52478.pdf

-She was ambivalent about grand juries, I have no reason to believe that she would vote against a Democratic majority in the issue.

-She regrets being blase about the caucus violence. I couldn't think of anything she could have done to address that so I didn't push the issue.

-She is an archliberal with an immaculate voting record and Omar has never brought up a policy issue in which they are in disagreement. She did mention that Omar never contacted her on any issue before running and never has any sort of feedback from her other than the fact that she began running for congress.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Also khan was interested in changing the state flag, she tried it a while back and has a prototype still in her office.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

why the gently caress does changing your flag seem like such a loving motivating issue in elections?

Like, I don't understand it. Your flag isn't, like, Indiana's or some truly godawful state's

It's something that can be easily done without passing taxes or passing new laws and poo poo. It's congress's job to get a good flag.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The prosecutor in the Jamal Clark case decided not to press charges, Khan called and said she believed he performed due diligence and approved that he didn't pass it off on a grand jury, I wonder what Ilhan will say about it.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The flag was adopted in 1893. it's on the illegible seal that no one loving reads.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Pro sports are what separates us from Iowa, so money well spent.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Convention in 1 hour, will give updates if there's wifi at the High School.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Holy gently caress the convention was a disaster, will give a writeup after getting some sleep and maybe barfing. imagine being trapped on an airplane tarmac for 17 hours while the flight attendants bellow about binary genders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

No beer, it was at a middle school and you didn't want to offend the (lots of) Somali Muslims. Writeup still pending.

• Locked thread