Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well i just googled, and holy poo poo did omar get a concussion at the 2014 caucus after being threatened by a khan supporter?
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2014/02/allegations-threats-bullying-follow-cedar-riverside-caucus-brawl

quote:

MinnPost has learned that the day before the Cedar-Riverside caucus, Warsame told another council member, Andrew Johnson, that he should warn his aide to stay away from the caucus or there could be trouble for her.

Warsame is supporting longtime incumbent DFL Rep. Phyllis Kahn; Johnson's aide, Somali activist Ilhan Omar, is widely believed to be supporting the challenger, fellow Somali Mohamud Noor, though she says she's neutral in the race.

Omar did attend the caucus, and ended up in the hospital with a concussion.

Noor supporters said their supporter, ZamZam Ali, won out over activist and Kahn supporter Mohamed Jama to run the meeting.

After the disagreement over who would run the caucus, Jama stood on a table and began chanting his initials. That’s when chaos broke out, with diverging stories from both sides over who threw the first blow.

Jama said Omar slapped him before she was hit. Omar denied that and said a group of women attacked her while others held her hands

if you get a call from Khan you might want to ask her about her position regarding this incident

i've never even been to minneapolis, nor have i participated in politics beyond casting a vote, but i'm inclined to be sympathetic to omar here

speaking very generally it might be good from the standpoint of achieving optimal representation to give a member of the local east african community a chance to represent her community in the legislature, but that's heavily contingent on the personal qualities of the candidates. that story makes me feel like omar might pass that test, but you're in a better position to judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

its a lady whose last name is omar i think

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im willing to be told like 'khan is the most important person in the legislature for defending all things that are good how dare you unseat her' but it feels like unless omar is like deeply obviously bad at legislating you should probably vote for her

of course if khan is any good at this politics thing she'll have enough delegates in her pocket to get elected without worrying about you. but that's just a guess! i pulled it out of my rear end!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

karthun posted:

Rep Khan is DFL-Lead: Legacy Funding Finance, member of State Government Finance and member of Ways and Means. For as good of a legislator Ilhan Omar could be she will not have the seniority that Rep Khan has and will not take her place on these committees.

this is good information, thanks. i guess the follow-up question that occurs to me is, who takes her place if she's unseated by a fellow DFL member? assuming the gop doesn't take control of the chamber, would khan losing her seat be a setback in terms of policy or just a chance for lower-ranking members of the party to move up the ranks? is there a specific legislator who would take her place that would be worse in terms of policy outcomes?

if she's got some specific ability to get good progressive [your favorite left-of-center buzzword here] poo poo done then i could forgive a few concussions in the caucuses, i'm 'pragmatic' like that

not that my opinion matters but w/e this is the internet im just talkin

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

karthun posted:

First off the GOP do have control of the house.

hell, i should've looked that up myself. thanks for responding with information and facts and whatnot

a quick google indicates there aren't any somali-americans in the minnesota legislature (?) - i guess that seems vaguely 'too bad' to me, but i couldn't substantiate the argument that now is the time and place to change that (since it looks like the primary must decide this seat, the gop ran a somali-american and he got trounced in 2014 it looks like). i'll just leave it at that. could be interesting

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

do yall pronounce it minnesOHHH-ta with that canadian rounded OHHHH

once i got a transfer in minneapolis and these dudes sitting next to me on the plane were talking with that accent and when they laughed they literally went OHH OHHH OHH OHH OHH with that exact rounded o sound

loving weird

but i hear its cool i wish id gone when the metrodome was a thing

i did my phd using rain gauge data from the twin cities area, i should piss in those gauges before i die

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i really like this thread, thanks for opening a window into this whole process. i guess i'd go for the establishment liberal with experience. the system wins again

is this your first time running for and serving as a delegate? do you see anything coming out of this in terms of connections or otherwise finding areas of future political engagement through the process? i'm too lazy to do this poo poo so i'm interested in your experiences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

nice minnesotadown

(cant wait to hear about it)

• Locked thread