Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
larger cases are easier to build in and change out parts or give you chances to upgrade components if say you want to get a sound card, another graphics card, or whatever. Also you can fit larger and quieter fans and coolers in the case. Personally I love smaller cases but working with them can be a pain if you ever have to troubleshoot it or what have you.

It's not like small cases don't exist. I mean you could always get an iMac, Mac Pro, or whatever M-ITX case you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
why would u ever buy an internal soundcard

pram
Jun 10, 2001

cmykjester posted:

larger cases are easier to build in and change out parts or give you chances to upgrade components if say you want to get a sound card, another graphics card, or whatever. Also you can fit larger and quieter fans and coolers in the case. Personally I love smaller cases but working with them can be a pain if you ever have to troubleshoot it or what have you.

It's not like small cases don't exist. I mean you could always get an iMac, Mac Pro, or whatever M-ITX case you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diJNybk0Mw

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram is right.

chinese people build your cell phones and laptops

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

can we just stop and marvel at your re-writing of the laws of physics and reality?

yepp, as moore said "every year computers will get smaller, however this will be off set by the need for empty space surrounding the components."

lol this makes no loving sense i mean people are making small form factor computers right now, they're just a small minority.

moore actually said that moore's "law" is no longer valid as the laws of physics and reality do still apply and moore's "law" is not a law of physics.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

PleasureKevin posted:

it doesn't have an optical drive or a case fan so i don't know what would make that noise

i have a case around this size and it's quiet as a mouse at full load.

but go ahead, reach deeper inside your arse to find a reason that your penis extension isn't actually a penis extension

kevin your device is still putting out heat, where will the heat go? Is there enough airflow that your things will not overheat? smaller cases mean that heat will build up faster!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

PleasureKevin posted:

all of this can literally fit in your pocket now, but because change scares us so much we ship enormous cardboard boxes around the world so we can make a new computer that looks enough like our last computer.

this cannot fit in my pocket kevin, the display is too big

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SHUT THE gently caress UP AND POST SOME loving SICK-rear end COMPUTER loving CASES!!!

this case is CLEARLY superior to others

TOOLS NOT TOYS!!

I HAVE NO loving IDEA

YOU KNOW WHAT gently caress CASES, WHO THE gently caress NEEDS A CASE FOR THEIR NICKELODEON-SLIME-COOLED PC? NOT ME, I DON'T NEED A loving CASE

pram
Jun 10, 2001
release teh slime

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP AND POST SOME loving SICK-rear end COMPUTER loving CASES!!!

TOOLS NOT TOYS!!

I HAVE NO loving IDEA

YOU KNOW WHAT gently caress CASES, WHO THE gently caress NEEDS A CASE FOR THEIR NICKELODEON-SLIME-COOLED PC? NOT ME, I DON'T NEED A loving CASE

cool

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

I HAVE NO loving IDEA

my name is commander shepard and this in my favorite case on the station :shepface:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

please note kevin: I am not saying that you are wrong that cases can be smaller, but with the wide variety of consumer part dimensions (especially video cards) it is better to err on the side of caution and buy a case that you know everything will fit into. I'd say that cooling is a secondary concern for everyone but those who overclock.

Please probate me, for I have run out of pleasure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

please note kevin: I am not saying that you are wrong that cases can be smaller, but with the wide variety of consumer part dimensions (especially video cards) it is better to err on the side of caution and buy a case that you know everything will fit into. I'd say that cooling is a secondary concern for everyone but those who overclock.

Done.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

kevin your device is still putting out heat, where will the heat go? Is there enough airflow that your things will not overheat? smaller cases mean that heat will build up faster!

you're being extremely stupid

here's my computer

it's only 10L but i guess it's another exception to the laws of thermal dynamics and i should commit it to a laboratory for research

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

BONGHITZ posted:

PCIe is a standard. mini-iTX is a standard.

my chief complaint is that new, smaller standards need to be made.

like i said, iPhones and Macs are put together by actual humans. they have enough room to accommodate human extremities during manufacture, but PCs don't? like you need to take up 10X more room than is necessary on your desk 24/7 so that the 4 or 5 times you ever open your computer you have a little more elbow room?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you want a mac then buy a loving mac

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i have a mac

but i feel that

users of another OS

are using what amounts to

physical and soft-ware wise

a piece of poo poo

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

i feel weird having the same mouse model as p.kev

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sweevo posted:

not gonna lie, i've still got a soft spot for giant beige towers with three times too many drive bays

bonus if they're made of thicker metal than most cars

in-win s500 for life

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Puppet Master posted:

i feel weird having the same mouse model as p.kev

why have both of you beaten the poo poo out of your mice with a hammer?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

that's just what the mx518 looks like

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

can we just stop and marvel at your re-writing of the laws of physics and reality?

yepp, as moore said "every year computers will get smaller, however this will be off set by the need for empty space surrounding the components."

lol this makes no loving sense i mean people are making small form factor computers right now, they're just a small minority.

this post is ban-worthy

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

that's just what the mx518 looks like

why does it look like someone beat the poo poo out of it with a hammer?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

because it's a piece of poo poo input device

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10151/msi-vortex-mac-pro-like-sli-pc-gamers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

TOOLS NOT TOYS!!

I HAVE NO loving IDEA

all of these cases own

you know what i want? a pc case that looks like this thing from the 90's. you might recognize it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

there's a piece of coloured paper or vinyl or something under the plastic shell and it wrinkles, which is a big problem for people who can see through their own hands while using one of the better mice not called mx revolution

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

there's a piece of coloured paper or vinyl or something under the plastic shell and it wrinkles

lol

nice clown mouse for clowns at the clown circus

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

they thought it would look cool as heck

it's not actually bumpy it's an illusion from the paint

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

graph posted:

because it's a piece of poo poo input device

yes. asym mice are v bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the mx510 was very very good and i headshotted many a dweeb with mine. also i liked the finish on that one but it was better than the revolutions or whatever

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

had a kickin rad raidmax with clear side window including a side fan with LED's in it as highschool/college pc

currently have a plain black corsair midtower that is nice and quiet because i grew up, supposedly

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

i had some of those sweet non-ribbon ide cables for maximum airflow. i think they might have glowed in the dark

Feb 24, 2013

PleasureKevin posted:

PCIe is a standard. mini-iTX is a standard.

my chief complaint is that new, smaller standards need to be made.

like i said, iPhones and Macs are put together by actual humans. they have enough room to accommodate human extremities during manufacture, but PCs don't? like you need to take up 10X more room than is necessary on your desk 24/7 so that the 4 or 5 times you ever open your computer you have a little more elbow room?

there are plenty of all in one pcs on the market if thats your fetish

b h m
Feb 13, 2016

Post more pics of the dog case please

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

GameCube posted:

you know what i want? a pc case that looks like this thing from the 90's. you might recognize it

reminds me of this thing:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

There Will Be Penalty posted:

reminds me of this thing:

in the year twoooo thousandddddddddd

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

THC posted:

moore actually said that moore's "law" is no longer valid as the laws of physics and reality do still apply and moore's "law" is not a law of physics.

i hate how people invoke moore's law like it's something besides a candid observation

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

b h m posted:

Post more pics of the dog case please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

• Locked thread