Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Bernie "I Hate Math" Sanders
Hillary "I Am Inevitable" Clinton
TRUMP *steaks*
View Results

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

It never would. She was elected in a state that wasn't nearly as progressive as Vermont and didn't grow up in extremely progressive places. I kinda don't really care about a candidates policy past unless it's really bad and Clintons is just mixed. What I care about is them admitting they need to do things in order to get votes, which is what she's done.

Like the meme that politicians don't do what they say they will in office isn't very true because reelection is a thing.

Your political opinions are poo poo, how fitting of you to support a poo poo candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Heavy neutrino posted:

To be completely serious though, I thought the best question and one of the most important point in this primary was the one about Warren's claim that personnel is policy. HRC and Sanders will surround themselves with astronomically different financial people, and it's not a stretch to be worried that HRC's people might not be able to see or prevent the next crash.

Neither Bernie nor Hillary has any incentive to hire people who can't see financial crises coming.

As for prosecuting specific bankers, sure I guess, but if you read most of the books on the subject ("Fool's Gold" being a good example) no one person was really sufficiently to blame or even acting with malice. (The most malicious people were those shorting that market, who got to be heroes for some reason.) It's not like Enron--the last collapse really was a failure of people to accept oversight, not because oversight would halt their sins, but because they were blind ideologues who thought markets self-regulated because their brains are full of sand. But they hadn't been proven wrong at that time, not yet.

Pick has issued a correction as of 07:51 on Mar 10, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Heavy neutrino posted:

i don't know much about fracking but am i wrong to think that the locally un-opposed, ecologically harmless fracking that HRC would theoretically support is a metaphorical leprechaun

heres my conspiracy theory

HRC: you may only frack if you follow these guidelines, which ensure that no environmental harm occurs

*guidelines do not actually ensure that no environmental harm occurs*

*people get hosed but the fracking industry gets a nice return on investment*

You are wrong. HRC's proposed changes, which she's been pretty explicit about including in the previous debate, would permit fracking to occur. There would be a lot less fracking, but that's because it's currently mostly regulated at the state level i.e. barely.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Immortan posted:

Mexicans hate Guatemalans. You should learn about the latin hierarchy.

I believe the Peninsulares are on top of that ladder iirc

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Epic High Five posted:

In that case Hillary has won every GOP debate

The difference is that her poll numbers have stagnated while Trump's rises.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

You are wrong. HRC's proposed changes, which she's been pretty explicit about including in the previous debate, would permit fracking to occur. There would be a lot less fracking, but that's because it's currently mostly regulated at the state level i.e. barely.

She also lobbied to overturn fracking bans for Eurozone countries such as Bulgaria despite mass protests.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Immortan posted:

The difference is that her poll numbers have stagnated while Trump's rises.

Trump would kill to be as popular with GOP voters as Clinton is with Dems. Maybe he'd have a majority of the votes from a single state if that were the case :smugdog:

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Pick posted:

Neither Bernie nor Hillary has any incentive to hire people who can't see financial crises coming.

As for prosecuting specific bankers, sure I guess, but if you read most of the books on the subject ("Fool's Gold" being a good example) no one person was really sufficiently to blame or even acting with malice. (The most malicious people were those shorting that market, who got to be heroes for some reason.) It's not like Enron--the last collapse really was a failure of people to accept oversight, not because oversight would halt their sins, but because they were blind ideologues who thought markets self-regulated because their brains are full of sand. But they hadn't been proven wrong at that time, not yet.

Uhh. Who told you no one acted in malice. I suggest you look up 'Matt Taibbi' if you honestly think that. That line was sold to protect the wealthy, not because people committed lots and lots of fraud.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NNick posted:

Uhh. Who told you no one acted in malice. I suggest you look up 'Matt Taibbi' if you honestly think that. That line was sold to protect the wealthy, not because people committed lots and lots of fraud.

And I recommend you read something by Gillian Tett.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Epic High Five posted:

Trump would kill to be as popular with GOP voters as Clinton is with Dems. Maybe he'd have a majority of the votes from a single state if that were the case :smugdog:

1. You are very stupid if you believe Clinton is loved by the majority of democrats, specifically on the issue of "trust".
2. :shillary: only has one rival in the primaries, the God Emperor currently has three, hence split vote.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Immortan posted:

1. You are very stupid if you believe Clinton is loved by the majority of democrats, specifically on the issue of "trust".
2. :shillary: only has one rival in the primaries, the God Emperor currently has three, hence split vote.

Just what a loser would say. Over half is less than half, less than half is over half. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH EASTASIA

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Epic High Five posted:

Just what a loser would say. Over half is less than half, less than half is over half. WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH EASTASIA

Quoting Orwell while defending a poo poo candidate like :shillary:.

Political revolution indeed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yo I was out collecting people for the past few hours, whats the executive summary of this debate?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Love Stole the Day posted:

I believe the Peninsulares are on top of that ladder iirc

Actually, Mexicans are loathed the most among hispanics across Central and South America. Try talking positively about Mexicans with first generation Cubans or Brazilians.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yo I was out collecting people for the past few hours, whats the executive summary of this debate?

Reagan sucks, Bernie sassy apparently

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Reagan sucks, Bernie sassy apparently

sassy like a black president, or sassy like an old jewish man who didnt get applesauce with enough sugar for his latkes?

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Pick posted:

I'll check her out but in my experience finance journalists are pretty bad.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

My Imaginary GF posted:

sassy like a black president, or sassy like an old jewish man who didnt get applesauce with enough sugar for his latkes?

To his credit, Bernie crushed it tonight. The crowd (presumably donor shills?) were even authoritatively chanting his name after closing statements.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pick posted:

Seriously, Fool's Gold is way better than Griftopia and I've never understood why more Goons haven't read it

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Immortan posted:

To his credit, Bernie crushed it tonight. The crowd (presumably donor shills?) were even authoritatively chanting his name after closing statements.

sounds like the crowd was very white

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Pick posted:

a lot of hillary people would not see the crash coming as they are the ones who cause it. doesn't really matter to them, finical crashes are a good way to pocket government money and further increase finical insecurity among workers.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I mean, the bizarre thing is we know the rating agencies committed fraud as well as many executives willing selling poo poo products they knew were not valuable. The notion it was all legal just doesn't hold water from what I have seen.

Bernie is gonna throw them in jail, break 'em up, and we can live with a little more financial security. As TYT mentioned tonight, Hillary's argument the banks aren't too big to fail today, when they are bigger, is absurd.

We need to start breaking them up with the powers of Dodd-Frank before they cause another crises that reaches to every sector of the world economy.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

sounds like the crowd was very white

idk it seemed like a big venue so there was a mixed crowd

like alan grayson silently lurking behind a honduran immigrant family

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

NNick posted:

As TYT mentioned tonight

The Young Turds are popular here, aren't they.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NNick posted:

Bernie is gonna throw them in jail, break 'em up, and we can live with a little more financial security. As TYT mentioned tonight, Hillary's argument the banks aren't too big to fail today, when they are bigger, is absurd.

You know, if you leaned in to the news a little harder and followed Joy Ann Reid or Steven Rattner on twitter, you'd have found out tonight that the banks are secretly smaller, not bigger, than they used to be. And thus don't need to be broken up.

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/707766434437398530
https://twitter.com/SteveRattner/status/707766258784194560

Immortan posted:

The Young Turds are popular here, aren't they.

I dislike them in general but I've been watching some of their election coverage just 'cause it's so goddamn hard to find live video coverage that's talking about something other than how amazing Trump and Hillary are and how much Bernie Sanders is doomed.

XboxPants has issued a correction as of 08:50 on Mar 10, 2016

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Let's prosecute, oh, let's say Joe Cassano of AIG.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

XboxPants posted:

I dislike them in general but I've been watching some of their election coverage just 'cause it's so goddamn hard to find live video coverage that's talking about something other than how amazing Trump and Hillary are and how much Bernie Sanders is doomed.

You know about Cenk, right? The amount of poo poo you can get away with out there if you call yourself a progressive.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Pick posted:

You're looking at it from the wrong end. Obviously neither candidate wants to hire financial regulators who'd let the economy crash, but unfortunately people don't wear unquestionably true labels reading "this dude can prevent an economic crash," so the matter will be left to judgment calls based on connections, attitude, and the culture they're soaked in. My contention is that HRC's connections to Wall Street, her attitude of conciliation and accommodation to Wall Street, and the sort of people she frequents (both when giving massively paid speeches and when attending high-rolling fundraisers set up by Wall Street people) will lead to catastrophically bad hiring calls.

To say that neither has any incentive to hire people who will be blind to oncoming catastrophes, and therefore neither will do so is... honestly really loving dumb. I don't have any incentive at all to score more than three hours when running a marathon, so obviously I'd never possibly fail to score under three hours, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mayor Dave posted:

Seriously, Fool's Gold is way better than Griftopia and I've never understood why more Goons haven't read it

Probably because the narrative voice is so flat. I wouldn't call it a "fun" read, it's just very clear and informative.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

NNick posted:

I mean, the bizarre thing is we know the rating agencies committed fraud as well as many executives willing selling poo poo products they knew were not valuable. The notion it was all legal just doesn't hold water from what I have seen.

The rating agencies were full of the low-pay flunkies who couldn't cut it elsewhere, and they were being tasked to do something they had almost no incentive to understand. Even then, some of them raised concerns, but to what end?

There's nothing illegal about overpricing per se. You can argue there should be.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

XboxPants posted:

You know, if you leaned in to the news a little harder and followed Joy Ann Reid or Steven Rattner on twitter, you'd have found out tonight that the banks are secretly smaller, not bigger, than they used to be. And thus don't need to be broken up.

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/707766434437398530
https://twitter.com/SteveRattner/status/707766258784194560

Wow that's an incredible frame job with the asset class growth chart. Glad "Hamilton Place Strategies" has our backs in the key slicing-and-dicing data until it fits our narrative field.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 09:42 on Mar 10, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
this seems to be the paper that the chart is from. I don't have the technical expertise to read it (and even if I did, I assume the usual Wall Street distortion of reality is in full play), but that chart actually looks at the median size of bank assets -- which is to say it tells us precisely gently caress-all that we'd be interested in. There's also a claim that huge banks are now smaller than they were in 2007, but the authors provide no footnote or source for the claim. Enjoy picking through it if you can, or cut to the chase and reach the obvious conclusion that should be drawn after reading the disclaimer:

quote:

HPS counts large banks among its clients; however, this paper reflects the views of the authors alone.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Immortan posted:

You know about Cenk, right? The amount of poo poo you can get away with out there if you call yourself a progressive.

Vaguely and there's not much you could say that would surprise me, it's really obvious just from watching that he's a pretty big shitheel.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Vaguely and there's not much you could say that would surprise me, it's really obvious just from watching that he's a pretty big shitheel.

That last tidbit says his Armenian American cohost said he disavowed those views 5 years ago. Maybe Ana made him change his mind.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I recognize that its probably the most impossible pipe dream ever, but I might die from excitement and joy if we were to have a future where our leaders consist of Trudeau, Sanders, and Corbyn

maybe don't get your hopes up on Trudeau

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The TV was on at McDonald's this morning, and it seems like the angle the CBS morning coverage went with was people on Twitter arguing over the color of Bernie's suit.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, Bernie's LF as gently caress

but in a good way

agreed

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Bad Caller posted:

That last tidbit says his Armenian American cohost said he disavowed those views 5 years ago. Maybe Ana made him change his mind.

And he would totally have us believe that he didn't name the show after the Genocidal group either, right? Give me a break.

Also this debate drew only 5.5 million viewers lol. Get ready for Trump.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ramos: Senator Sanders, here is some grainy old video of you saying that Cuba is great. What do you make of this?

Sanders: Are you sure that’s not Bruce Rappaport?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2016/03/10/the-washington-postunivision-democratic-debate-abridged/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Ramos: Senator Sanders, here is some grainy old video of you saying that Cuba is great. What do you make of this?

Sanders: Are you sure that’s not Bruce Rappaport?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2016/03/10/the-washington-postunivision-democratic-debate-abridged/

quote:

Salinas: Secretary Clinton, why don’t people like you?

Clinton: HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ANSWER THAT

SERIOUSLY

IS THERE AN ANSWER I CAN GIVE WHERE YOU STOP ASKING ME THIS QUESTION

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF PEOPLE CAME UP TO YOU ONCE A WEEK AND ASKED YOU WHY NOBODY LIKED YOU

ISN’T THAT TECHNICALLY BULLYING?

• Locked thread