Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Trump Steaks
Trump Vodka
Trump Winery
Lil' Rubio
Lyin' Ted
Kasichmentum
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

tuning in late, what'd i miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

stormfront melting down right now

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

trip report:
/pol/ is extremely unhappy about this, and is saying that trump is in the jewish pocket

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

trump would knock out the oil, because he doesn't care about the environment :clint:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

This seems like a prototypical "nothing matters" night. It hasn't been remotely interesting to the average voter.

the only thing that anyone's going to remember from tonight is the torture stuff that's going to run in attack ads and push polls

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

so is trump aware that he's filming and starring in a general election attack ad, or...?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yup, of course he's not distancing himself from his jackboots

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

someone is definitely gonna die at a trump rally

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

trump has been copied up and down by all of them, this is why it's hard to take "omg trump's destroying the party" seriously

um, that's the evidence. in order to survive they're forced to embrace trumpism.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

cruz signaling that if the republicans want a contested convention, they have to pick him, otherwise he'll toss the whole thing to trump

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

trump claimed he improves against hillary every week
politifact found that it is theoretically possible to find two successive polls in which hillary's lead shrunk
we rated his claim Mostly True

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Prorat posted:

GE polls don't mean poo poo right now.

"trump's lead in the polls doesn't matter right now, he's going to self destruct when people start paying attention to him"
-every idiot pundit this entire cycle

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i thought donald trump looked ok this debate relative to how piss-poor he's been at the past few, but if frank luntz agrees with me i might have to re-evaluate

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump is getting his rear end kicked in the polls right now. And it matters because he keeps saying that he's winning!

nomination polls.

trump has led the nomination polls consistently all primary season, except for that carson blip. anyone paying attention should have been able to predict this, but a lot of pundits assumed that his complete lack of experience, policy knowledge, qualifications, temperament, or filter would torpedo him. they were banking on "intangibles" and got rolled over by the numbers, which on the R primary side have ended up being pretty accurate (really, on the D side too except for Michigan).

they thought they were smarter than the numbers, but they weren't. now a lot of them are doubling down and saying "well, trump is a unique perfect storm, that's why it was ok that we disregarded all of the numbers and just said he was gonna lose anyways." they have learned nothing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

everyone is making fun of this but it's legitimately correct, people care way more about tone than substance, trump is absolutely killing it with the general election crowd

zeppelin i get that you are more bullish on trump than the average forum poster, but trump only looked good for the GE debate relative to how bad he's looked before. he stumbled a lot and his lack of substance was pretty clear.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

I'm starting to think Donald "Tianmian Square was Awesome!" Trump isn't actually going to pivot!!

it's a tone pivot, being a blustering jerk isn't going to work but it's not like he's going to abandon the I MAKE THE DEALS, WE WILL BUILD A WALL persona

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

why do people keep saying this

when hes calm it just underlines that he cant loving answer questions without changing subjects every three sentences

our expectations for him at debates are really low. he didn't shout LIAR, FALSE or talk about his dick, so he looked presidential. talking about what a sweet power play the Tienanmen Square Massacre was in a debate is not some clever 11th dimensional chess move, it's stupid. it has a powerful appeal to people already behind trump and is absolutely toxic to everyone else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

a substantial plurality of the republican base is blood-gargling psychopaths whose biggest complaint against romney is that he didn't directly accuse obama of being osama bin laden's gay lover on stage. trump's path to the nomination has always been clear, ever since it became obvious that the GOPe can't force the others out to effect a consolidation. even after the Great Collapse marco still has trump something like 55-45 one on one, but he won't ever get a shot at that. the reason nothing matters is that all of the poo poo that most politicians never say because it's GE poison, trump is happily spraying everywhere, and the base will follow him to the ends of the earth for it. i do think he looked more presidential than in the past at this debate, but when he's talking about how awesome it must have felt to squish students under tank treads or how we must get rid of our treacherous fifth column, you get this:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

don't play into the narrative that GE polls matter in march, they don't

"this far out from the election, the lead that this candidate enjoys means nothing and will surely evaporate"
-a bunch of pollsters from july 2015-january 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

most independents actually are more reliable partisan voters than most people who declare party affiliation, the mythical swing voter is virtually nonexistent in the grand scheme of things

you absolutely win elections by boosting your own turnout and/or depressing your opponent's

this is correct, it's why all this talk of Reagan democrats is bullshit. these people are republicans and have been for 20 years. the tea party is overwhelmingly "independent" yet self-described tea party voters are, in some areas, more likely to support the republican candidate than registered republicans. democrats win elections by getting young and minority voters to the polls, republicans win by keeping them away.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

if you're looking for a conservative truly and completely losing his mind over trump btw check out Ben Howe's Twitter (@benhowe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the only part about this debate that was remotely interesting was trump praising China for Leaning In on Tiananmen Square protestors and that is already forgotten

I really hope that comes back in the GE

• Locked thread