Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
Well that's funny, I'm going completely the other way. I've got a colossal unfunny earnest post lined up talking about technocracy and how the nation state should be discarded as a concept (essentially TEAYCHES, WhiskeyJuvenile and Trumps Baby Hands writ large). Citizenship should be fixed too, fungible so people can satisfy that wishful privileged bullshit Moses Mendelssohn said.

Also, I've only got more leftish over time, and generally found identity politics made interaction in leftie contexts more pleasant and productive. It's only on this subforum in the last year that I've been introduced to the idea that somehow economic stability and treating people fairly regardless of their intrinsic characteristics are somehow at all in opposition. I get that it was tactically unsound to bear down on in the '60s (should've pushed for a 30-hour workweek), and I see the balance sheets with drone manufacturers predominantly donating to HRC's HRC and feel vindicated in my longstanding mistrust of all three parties, but we need to stop wasting human potential in needless subjugation.

But world leaders passed the buck for three decades on energy deficits and ecological collapse and now it barely makes a difference whether the humans that scrape through the next two centuries are zealously oligarchical misogyracist ritual necrozoopedophile cyber circumcizers or not. The only important thing is evidently trying to save what we can, in terms of information and knowledge if not diversity or anything else. Western alcohol culture is beginning to recover from the effects of the prohibition and ww2, russia is... still struggling under the effects of leninism et al., humanity has just about rediscovered anything of use that might have burned in the library of alexandria, but if civilization collapses now there are no guarantees we get to this point again. No guarantees any of your malnourished descendants get to even hear about the concepts like freedom of press, religion, speech, assembly, control over their own bodies, academic pursuit, whatever; let alone seeing feeble attempts at implementing those freedoms.

And then there's all the information in nature, which dwarfs anything human. Megadiverse coral reefs filled with exotic chemistry that could help humanity directly or otherwise disappearing in acidification as we speak, for example. Near certainty that immeasurable value is being lost forever. This planet is like a lone, becalmed ship and we are spraying the remaining irreplaceable potable water overboard because the rainbows look pretty.

Really my honest political opinion is "why are we making such slow progress building alliances it really should be everyone vs. GOP + fossil fuel industry as of TYOOL 2000". Everything else pales into wilful distraction.

:shillary: is vacillating over the coal industry and thus deserves quiet uncredited retirement.

PyPy posted:

I'd sooner vote for Mickey mouse than a woman for the presidency.
I worry about the circumstances of your upbringing, the trauma you might have suffered, but most of all any responsibility you might have over others that might allow you to act out your cartoonish sexism. I hope you are practised at questioning and checking your actions to make sure they aren't harmfully prejudiced. Please try to leave your children, if you have any, with less damage than you had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

...our only hope is a space colony that lives in a giant Rivenworld-halo-type ship for a few generations while Mars is terraformed...
cheers

Necc0 posted:

Hate to break this to you but terraforming Mars is literally impossible. Its core is dead meaning no magnetic poles which means no ionized atmosphere which means basically no meaningful atmosphere or protection from radiation. Any addition atmosphere we could add to it would just be blown away.

Earth is literally all we've got.
yeah terraforming anything even within two millennia requires many orders of magnitude infrastructure more than we can currently conceivably put outside the earth orbit gravity well. And you are right that solar winds would strip a martian atmosphere quickly. But if our calculations about the mars regolith are correct, we could have a very moist atmosphere that outpaces the loss to solar wind if we can just get enough radiation on the martian poles, for a maximum of about 1.3 MA. But this is not a survival strategy.

Frankly with that amount of sheer mass outside earth orbit, we might as well build entire sky-cities 50-60km up in the venusian atmosphere, which is actually like a balmy earth day in terms of radiation and constituent gases. Just don't sink or the acid and the heat will turn you into overdone ceviche.

Best Giraffe posted:

Why are nerds obsessed with "information" now? I know it's a real concept in science and poo poo, but that post and others like it are a bit histrionic. Especially coupled with fantasies about the future of human existence resting on terraforming Mars!
I'm not seeing a post with both histrionics over preserving knowledge and terraforming. But preserving knowledge is one of the key strengths of our species. Without it we are flabby, lovely apes.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Stabbatical posted:

wait, if data is the new money then why do companies buy data and sell data for money instead of more data

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Cash-revenue is irrelevant

i dunno what a "world spirit" is but nobody apart from you was saying data was replacing money

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
^^ 1 saurus 1 :can:

Ragnar34 posted:

I pick none. We must contain the disease of sapience, not let it escape and grow. We should do more reasonable things with our time, like screaming our lungs to bloody chunks with disgust at being forced to exist without our consent.

Don't vote for Trump though.

I amended my opinion, if anyone is keeping track: Ragnar34's posts itt are manna from heaven, loving beautiful

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Immortan posted:

This man gets it.

Is one truly a goon if one cannot post to the forum?

If you think about it, a probation is like a temporary buff to charisma, perception and willpower

• Locked thread