Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I play out about 6 times/month. a couple gigs are Jazz dinner music, the rest are standard bar band fare.

I have many stories about people doing lovely things during gigs, but tonight was notable. I was doing the Jazz gig tonight. the piano is right next to some high tops.

tonight a man farted in my face 5 times in one hour. the restaurant was crowded and he believed, I assume, that he could rip rear end with impunity. these were not let out slowly; these were pushed.

it's not that the story itself is that great; it's that a man felt it was ok to fart in a band member's face at max volume multiple times during his dinner.

it occurs to me that these things happen to musicians that are gigging and we deal with them. and it's not a big deal at all, but it does strike me as funny that in any other facet of life I would not accept a man farting in my face multiple times as a part of the job. and yet, at a gig, I do.

please share the most ridiculous instance of someone disrespecting you at gigs.

also, here's a photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
ingignities

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mods, please do the needful

Also, I literally pushed a woman off stage last night. She wanted to sing backups and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Man, and I thought six minute setup windows because the first band is dragging rear end and no line check was bad. At least the tiny audience at that show was cool

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

A promoter had a deal with a roller-rink, on the second and fourth friday of the month, he would bring in 2-3 bands to play for the night. It wasn't a terrible gig, but the issue was that the target demographic (18-29 hipsters with money) never showed, only to be replaced by tweens dropped off by their parents. And these tweens knew just what was in-store, because they all came preppared with iPods. I've played to rooms with zero people, I've played rooms to indifferent people, I've played rooms where the members in the band out number the people in the audience. At the very least you get pity applause. The creepiest sound I've ever heard was finishing a song, and have not one person clap. The void is filled by the sound of 300 tweens with earbuds in roller skating in complete silence.

There was one kid though who about half way through, started air drumming the poo poo out of every song a band played, and later came up to each drummer and asked about their kits. So, there was at least one good thing about that gig. :unsmith:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is a bit STDH but it did, I promise.
I once played a gig where the headliners soundchecked for four loving hours.
Most of that time was them reading the paper and having a coffee, our band at the time was a threepiece and we didn't really take kindly to what was happening, all the promoter would say is that he couldn't do anything about it.
We got mad at him and things got a bit heated but it all calmed down and we finally hit the stage with no sound check. I was pretty furious, the sound guy did a good job but the first song was just awful.
We had a coach of about 80 people turn up to watch us, the gig went well and after I got off stage someone was waiting at the bar with a beer for me.
The bass player from the headliner was there and cheerfully said 'that never happens to me!' and I looked at him and said 'maybe that's because you're an arsehole mate' and I wondered off.
Our drummer was also there laughing his head off and he said 'dude that's the bass player out of The Smiths ha ha' - and it was, I'd just called Andy Rourke an arsehole :lol: Turns out it was his new band Foreign Bodies, there is no info about these anywhere now, nearest I could find was this:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/167.shtml

The funniest thing looking back was Andy would have had no idea why someone at the bar was suddenly calling him an arsehole.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

A promoter had a deal with a roller-rink, on the second and fourth friday of the month, he would bring in 2-3 bands to play for the night. It wasn't a terrible gig, but the issue was that the target demographic (18-29 hipsters with money) never showed, only to be replaced by tweens dropped off by their parents. And these tweens knew just what was in-store, because they all came preppared with iPods. I've played to rooms with zero people, I've played rooms to indifferent people, I've played rooms where the members in the band out number the people in the audience. At the very least you get pity applause. The creepiest sound I've ever heard was finishing a song, and have not one person clap. The void is filled by the sound of 300 tweens with earbuds in roller skating in complete silence.

Ahaha I'm used to being ignored but playing to a room full of people wearing earbuds is some next level poo poo

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Most of the people that piss me off are other musicians, heres a handy list I wrote a while back after a particularly brutal night of local bands in Atlanta. Also whiskey, lots of whiskey. All of these things have happened too many times to count.

It's time for this years stupid poo poo bands do that they need to stop. So listen up.

1. If your local venue has a green room with beer in, treat them like you would drink tickets. YOUR FRIENDS SHOULD NOT BE IN THE GREEN ROOM DRINKING ALL THE BEER. If you're not in the band, please leave. It's a luxury few places have and after driving all day it's nice to chill and stretch.
2. Set up your drum hardware before you go on!
3. Don't load your poo poo in/out while bands are playing, wait till they're done.
4. Show up on time to avoid #2 and #3.
5. DONT PRACTICE ON STAGE! Set your stuff up, hit a few notes to make sure all your cables/million loving pedals everyone seems to have works, and walk away until you hear a magic voice through the monitors commanding you to play YOUR instrument.
6. While sound checking play your instrument like you will when you play your set. If you smash the gently caress outta your drums when you play, hit them hard while you check, this is not the time to tap on them. Play your loudest distortion pedal. If you scream, scream into the mic.
7. If you drove less than 2 hours your still considered at home and don't need the door money. Give it to the touring band.
8. Don't play and leave, duh. If you have a killer house party planned, maybe make it an after party. Everyone leaving after the first band is lame. Plus ya know, some people like to party.
9. If you have gear issues, work it out before hand. Don't ask 3 minutes before you go on. If you have known issues, message people before the show, they're usually more than happy to help. Sharing is caring.
10. Don't ask to trade merch with the touring band, it's their life's blood. Also who gets the record/shirt at the end of the tour?
Rock Paper Scissors? I dunno I still haven't figured this one out.
Feel free to add your own.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Last weekend my band was finishing up our last set for the night and some people wanted to hear some Petty. We aren't a cover band but we know Last Dance With Mary Jane so we thought it'd be fun to have someone from the audience come up and do live band karaoke with us. So we asked if anyone knew the song and wanted to come up. Some kid was super into it. When he got on stage he asked us if we had the lyrics..... We were like, "dude...you said you knew it." Should have stopped it right then, but we were in too deep already. So we start playing and this kid raps super shittily over the entire song. Not even close to singing it. We've had people join us on stage before (never a bachelorette party or anything that annoying) and usually it's entertaining, but not this time. Just really bad. We'll think twice before inviting someone up again. Who comes up on stage to sing a song they clearly don't know???

There are a million other indignities I've endured but that one is the most recent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I play out about 6 times/month. a couple gigs are Jazz dinner music, the rest are standard bar band fare.

Many years ago I was in a jazz/light rock/new age band that had a steady weeknight gig in this sort of sad Italian restaurant in a strip mall. The band leader/percussionist was by dayjob a mailman in a neighborhood that had several rich widows living there. He was their lover and would frequently bring them to our "shows". One of them kept coming up to me and telling me that I looked liked Franz Liszt, that my hands looked like Liszt's hands, and would also show me pictures of Franz Liszt, as well as pictures of other young pianists about my age she had met who also looked like Franz Liszt and had hands like him. it was creepy.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 21, 2016

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?

peter gabriel posted:

This is a bit STDH but it did, I promise.
I once played a gig where the headliners soundchecked for four loving hours.
Most of that time was them reading the paper and having a coffee, our band at the time was a threepiece and we didn't really take kindly to what was happening, all the promoter would say is that he couldn't do anything about it.
We got mad at him and things got a bit heated but it all calmed down and we finally hit the stage with no sound check. I was pretty furious, the sound guy did a good job but the first song was just awful.
We had a coach of about 80 people turn up to watch us, the gig went well and after I got off stage someone was waiting at the bar with a beer for me.
The bass player from the headliner was there and cheerfully said 'that never happens to me!' and I looked at him and said 'maybe that's because you're an arsehole mate' and I wondered off.
Our drummer was also there laughing his head off and he said 'dude that's the bass player out of The Smiths ha ha' - and it was, I'd just called Andy Rourke an arsehole :lol: Turns out it was his new band Foreign Bodies, there is no info about these anywhere now, nearest I could find was this:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/167.shtml

The funniest thing looking back was Andy would have had no idea why someone at the bar was suddenly calling him an arsehole.

That is brilliant

At the end of a gig once I was so pumped I threw my bass into the air, but instead of catching it, it landed on my head and knocked me out :cripes:

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Are you Krist Novoselic? I'll assume so even if you say no.

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RRf-tBJMOM

I had to google this - Ah ha ha! That's not me though. I didn't stagger around like that, I just ended up spark out on the floor.
It was also a lovely little pub gig and not a huge televised event watched by millions. So...I guess you could say my mishap was a bit less embarrassing...?

I used to do a lot of stupid things in my early years. Once, the band drove our van along the sea front in Hastings while I stood on the roof in my leather pants, pretending to surf.
How I got away with that/didn't end up getting killed I will never know.

Aah, the good old days. Sometimes I just look back and go "gently caress me! what was I thinking?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My dad used to play in a band in the Phoenix area in the 80's. Really great musicians, couple of the guys there were full-timers earning their living exclusively off music. Played rock and pop songs of the era, as well as original stuff (depending on what they were hired for!)
Among the usual list of events like city festivals, parties, weddings, corporate events, etc was to provide live music for the Marine Corps Ball. They got all set up, started playing, and everything appeared to be going well.
During their first break, the lady who hired them and organized the ball asked if they could hook up a CD changer to the band's PA setup so they could play the Electric Slide. Yeah, OK, whatever.

They kept popping in new CDs, and the band never went back on that night. After spending hours hauling gear and setting up, they sat at a table the rest of the night surrounded by drunk Marines and their dates singing and dancing to the mix from a guy-turned-DJ with a milkcrate of CDs.

Still got paid for the whole thing.

The other thing he taught me is to never, ever, allow someone who asks to play your instrument. 99.5% of the time, they suck badly and will make terrible sounds. Even if they didn't, it's rude to ask that of the guys getting paid to be there.

He'd always make something up like "uhh, we're not allowed to because the venue's insurance doesn't cover us if someone else uses our instruments"

• Locked thread