Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Greetings. I have an i7 6700k system with 16gb of DDR4 3000 and have been using a Titan X.
My PSU was an EVGA Supernova 750 with an Asus Z170K Mobo

I ordered 2 GTX 980ti and a 1000w Corsair RM 1000x to run in SLI recently.
They came in today and I went about installing. I hate installing or replacing PSU's because I always seem to run into issues, sure as poo poo I got a big issue.

I plugged everything up and....nothing. So I checked all the cords and connections and I had the 12v CPU connector up in the corner with the wrong cable on it. I found the right cable and got some brief glimmers of power.
I recheck all my connections again and the 28 pin on the mobo slid right off, the thing had a hard time going into the board and the clip didnt want to catch.

I played around with all the connections some more and got lights to come on in my 980ti, then I hear a sizzle and a crackle, that dreaded electrical sound.
I tried my old PSU with my old GFX card and that thing wouldnt work anymore either. Im 80% certain my motherboard is shot so I ordered a new one, and extensively researched it to make SURE its compatible with Nvidia SLI. When I look at the specs for the Asus Z170k it doesnt say anything about being SLI capable I just assumed it was since it had the PCIE lanes for it and it says crossfire ready..crossfire not SLI.

So I have $3,000 worth of hardware, 2 PSU's one brand new and one that worked this morning, now neither work with this mobo.

Im curious if anyone else has ever killed their own motherboard and do people think thats what I did. I was looking for an excuse to get a new case anyways and needing a new mobo was it anyways. Cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Aaaaaaaaaah nevermind dudes, I figured out the asus z170k is not SLI compatible because the second PCIE lane only runs at x4

It also has onboard fuses and I probably tripped those which i why my old PSU and GPU wouldnt work either. New/compatible mobo is on the way.

• Locked thread