Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

EA's second major UFC game (and third MMA game) will be released on March 15, and is playable now if you're on Xbox 1 and have the EA early access thing. The first game had some pretty huge problems on release but patches made it downright playable and quite a bit of fun. I played a lot of the beta, which included UT, and have followed the feedback of the early access folks pretty heavily.

What's New

Ultimate Team mode - Create your own team of up to five fighters and earn coins by fighting them against the AI or others online. Buy packs of cards that contain upgrades for your fighters.
Knockout mode - An arcade stand-up game where each fighter gets a certain number of health points, and once they're hit/kicked that many times they're out.
Event mode - Create your own fight card and play it out. This includes the ability to mix some weight classes. Also you can play through real life UFC events for UT coins.
A legitimately huge roster
Female create-a-fighters and female career mode
A new head movement system
A completely retooled ground system

Overall the game is an improvement over UFC 1, but it still has a lot of the problems that 1 had and a few new ones. Stamina drain is still pretty nonsensical, with fighters throwing way too many strikes and having the same stamina as someone that fights defensively. Damage in the stand up game is still too low, and fighters can take several hard strikes that should knock them out before they're finally KOed. The submission game is exactly the same, which is fine with me but some don't like it. Career mode is still just as shallow as last year and even shorter, although hopefully they'll tune that and let us play through it longer. Also, if you were beating the AI on pro in 1 you're probably not going to see much of a challenge in 2. Hopefully the stand-up AI gets tuned, because right now it's a major weak point for the game if you like to play offline.

On the bright side the ground game is much improved. Both fighters can attempt transitions simultaneously with whoever completes theirs first getting the advantage. A new and complex Grappling Advantage system determines how fast you can fill your transition meter, with you getting an advantage from attributes, position, striking, stamina and several other things. Holding L2 and moving the stick will cause your fighter to move his head, which can either help you slip a strike or get you knocked out if you go the wrong way. Striking overall does feel better, although like I mentioned earlier there still isn't enough weight to it. Also, controversially, high and low block are separate buttons now. This means you can't just hold block and partially protect yourself from any strike. I love this but it takes a lot of getting used to. Also, the UT game mode is really well done. If you've played The Show, it's more like Diamond Dynasty than any of the previous UT game modes. The Championships online game mode is back, which is good because it keeps you fighting people at about your skill level for the most part, since it separates users into "divisions."

Overall, if you loved the first game then go ahead and pick this up. If you liked it then wait a couple months for it to drop to like $30 and be patched up. If you didn't like the first game then it probably won't change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm so ready for this game. I won't get time tonight but tomorrow I'll be playing quite a bit. I feel like I was one of the few who really enjoyed the first game so it sounds like this one will really get it's hooks in.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Glad I'm not the only one playing. Got in a few fights against the AI then a few online unranked matches. The game is definitely made to be played online; it feels really good on there. The AI still can't really compete, even on the highest difficulty.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Just got the game. I'm probably one of the 0.001% that looks forward to the career/story mode in these kind of games and I'm hella disappointed. EA has taken steps back every game, with EA MMA having the best career mode and getting worse from there. Clearly a half-digested afterthought that would have been better to just leave the one from the first game intact. Huge downgrade.

Also the menus still lag and have those long rear end transitions that makes everything from selecting fights to changing options an incredible chore. How does EA screw up the goddamn interface so badly?

The new blocking system is balls. I have to adjust my grip so my index is on R1 and middle finger is on R2 or else there's no humanly possible way to block attacks fast enough. Maybe I'm the weird one for only using my index fingers on the triggers but this game is definitely designed in opposition of that.

Ground and pound finishes look retarded, as do the trip animations. Like if you get your leg kicked out during a high kick, you spaz out and contort back to a neutral position. More steps backwards.

Ground game is a side-grade. Lots of new annoying quirks to replace the old annoying quirks. Definitely easier to play against casual fans in my living room, but this is definitely not the final answer to how to represent wrestling in a game. Submissions are just as bad as before.

Other than that, the KO mode is getting the most game time out of my group of friends which makes it a decent arcade kickboxing game at the end of the day.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I have to disagree with a lot of that. Career mode is disappointing but is still a step up from last year (which was godawful.) High/low blocking is controversial but I think it's a big step up once you get used to it; being able to weak block everything made last year's game dumb at times, especially online. The ground game isn't perfect but it's already a much better than the system that was in last year, with the simultaneous transitions instead of basically turn based ones. If they can patch up as much as they did last year it should get fixed really well. They do need to balance a lot of the transitions though.

The AI is still pretty awful though, even after the new patch. I really hope they can get that fixed soon.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Maybe I need to play the ground game more. I like the idea of it, but in practice it's pretty janky.

As for career mode, I find it overly frustrating. Some of the stupid mini games are incredibly tedious and take multiple attempts to even get a B score. For example the defense ones, where you have to block punches or takedowns to score points, which is fine in theory, but when the AI literally goes 8 or 9 seconds without even throwing a strike on a 30 second time limit, it becomes a lot of restarts until you get lucky.

Then even with solid B scores, your stats fall too far behind the AI in short order. You definitely need to rack up A ratings early in every category because after 13 or so fights I'm now 15 or so overall points behind some most of my competition and it's an exercise in absolute frustration to thoroughly crushed over and over until you get lucky or give up. This is especially apparent in the unavoidable challenge matches where the AI difficulty ramps up dramatically. I had 10 solid first round KO's against the randomly generated fighters, then was thrown into a challenge match against a real UFC fighter 19 overall points better than me who completely obliterated me probably 10 times in a row before I gave up and took the loss. Got a few more good wins, then another unbeatable challenge match. Not a good time, if you ask me.

The rest of the career mode is so thin it's not even worth the incredibly long menu transition screens to skip past banal text descriptions. Like you had to wait for the cable guy so you lose a training session. Or you tell a funny joke at a press conference, here's some fans. How about giving the player some way to define how their fighter interacts with social media so you can actually have a personality, or give the option of trading a training session for press coverage to hype the fight in different ways that'll give you more fans if you win (or go full Ronda Rousey with endless press and movie deals and don't train at all). Instead of arbitrary challenge matches ("get full mount and finish this fighter on the ground for a fan boost!" Except I'm a karate-style knockout artist, my fans don't want that boring wrestling poo poo), you can publicly call a finish McGregor-style and get a boost for fulfilling it. I dunno, it's a lot of pointless wish-listing when I know the main drive is obviously towards ranked online play, but it's just so completely awful it's like they made it bad on purpose.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the career mode is really bad. If that's what your in to you shouldn't get the game for that. UT is a better career mode then career mode. It's just better than last years because of how bad last years was, mainly because now you can use your high scores on the training exercises.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Will they have a demo of this sometime? I really want try it before I buy it.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

This game is hard as gently caress.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Disclaimer: I only play vs the CPU

I completely love the ground game in this. At first it felt super clunky like UFC 1 but now that I get it and am comfortable with the pace it feels so right to me. The whole game is shaping up like though, the gameplay is refined in a quite solid way.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Welp I think I'm gonna return this tomorrow. I really wanna love it, but I don't enjoy multiplayer unless it's people in the same room, so the majority of the game has been single player for me and the career mode is just too heinous. I was forced into retirement with a 27-4 record.... And never got a title shot. I won 15 fights in a row and was the #1 contender for the last 6 fights, all first round knockouts, but apparently the fans didn't like me enough to keep me from retiring or something? I fought the same top 10 people in a loop and the champion, who was a randomly generated nobody, never defended the belt against anyone for years.

All the gripes about the CPU being artificially ramped up got worse and worse (almost everyone I fought as #1 contender was artificially juiced up to full 100's across the board) and I didn't even get a payoff at the end because I'm guessing I failed the 3 challenge matches back when I was on the undercard, so the game was rendered unbeatable without my knowledge for the next 15 fights.

On the plus side I now know how Frankie Edgar feels.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yeah the career mode and playing vs cpu straight up blows. They block all your shots, your submissions are painfully slow and theirs are impossible to defend, it's stupid. That being said I got a middleweight title shot after eight or so wins.

I've been having fun doing the ultimate team pvp without spending any money though. It's pretty clear that they gutted career mode so people would pay to play ultimate instead but you can beat people pretty easily online if you play smart--I made a heavyweight BJJ fighter who has like a 59 in stand up and I still KO people all the time. Plus if you play conservative most people will completely blow out their energy and you can really clean up in the championship rounds.

My chief complaint right now are that defending in the clinch seems like a total crapshoot. I've been on both ends of endless knees to the dome in the Thai clinch that don't get blocked by pressing r1 and those knock you out fast. There are also people who seem to understand the clinch and ground game much better than I do because they'll improve their position even when I have more stamina and have just landed clean shots.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
some guy got super on tilt last night when i destroyed him with my create a fighter

https://gfycat.com/CreativeImpressionableHookersealion

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Sharzak posted:

Yeah the career mode and playing vs cpu straight up blows. They block all your shots, your submissions are painfully slow and theirs are impossible to defend, it's stupid. That being said I got a middleweight title shot after eight or so wins.

I've been having fun doing the ultimate team pvp without spending any money though. It's pretty clear that they gutted career mode so people would pay to play ultimate instead but you can beat people pretty easily online if you play smart--I made a heavyweight BJJ fighter who has like a 59 in stand up and I still KO people all the time. Plus if you play conservative most people will completely blow out their energy and you can really clean up in the championship rounds.

My chief complaint right now are that defending in the clinch seems like a total crapshoot. I've been on both ends of endless knees to the dome in the Thai clinch that don't get blocked by pressing r1 and those knock you out fast. There are also people who seem to understand the clinch and ground game much better than I do because they'll improve their position even when I have more stamina and have just landed clean shots.

In the clinch (and only in the clinch) you block all knees with R2, regardless of if they are head or body shots. You block all punches/elbows/etc with R1. They did it that way because it was impossible to tell the difference between a body and head knee early enough to block it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I love that I apparently can't use my career mode fighter in exhibition mode after he retires, something that I could do in the first loving THQ UFC game on the 360. :downsbravo:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The patch coming out some time this month (probably) is going to have a pretty big nerf on the MT clinch. No more blocking transitions with punches and a longer denial window on the clinch entry.

edit: Here's what they've posted on twitter, compiled by somebody on the official forums:

- Clinch attempts will be reduced in speed, making them easier to deny #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC2

- Getting your clinch attempt denied will now incur a much larger stamina penalty #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC2

- Fixed a bug where early or pre-emptive standing TD denials didn't punish stamina on the fighter who was denied #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC2

- Elbows and punches in muay thai clinch will no longer interrupt transition attempts #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC2

- In sprawl, the bottom fighter will now slowly accumulate grapple advantage #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC

- Bottom fighter is now given grapple advantage after escaping finish the fight into back side control #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC2

- The bottom fighter’s transition to side control from back side will no longer be interrupted by strikes #patchspoilers #EASPORTSUFC2

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 10, 2016

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

some guy got super on tilt last night when i destroyed him with my create a fighter

https://gfycat.com/CreativeImpressionableHookersealion

Probably because you and people like you are the problem with online in this game. The new blocking system is fundamentally broken and literally impossible when someone makes a long and tall fighter with heavy/spinning body kicks. The guy spazzed because he's trying to have fun playing a video game and you're there button mashing like a mongoloid with your made-to-exploit-character. Can't blame you since its in the game, but I'm just going to assume you're a dumb turd if you're entertained by pressing back and X over and over for 15 minutes.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also the clinch system is super cool. Really reminds me all of those real fights that happen all the time where one guy is beating the poo poo out of the other for 10-12 minutes but the other guy gets one lovely clinch despite having no stamina and gets an instant knockout anyways. That's the authenticity I look for in this dogshit game. That and an ever worsening career mode.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Actually I'm just kidding, this game is loving terrible. EA also ruined NHL which had previously been the best sports game franchise for 20 years.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I agree with everything you said but wish you weren't so whiny about it.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 12, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The clinch is getting a major nerf (maybe too much of one but we'll see) and they're adding way more strike-interrupts on spinning attacks which should help some.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Patch is out now for at least PS4.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've only fought about 5 times with the new patch but it definitely seems to have addressed some key issues shockingly enough

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
With how much the patches improved the last game I'm not surprised, but the AI is still an unworkable dumpster fire. That's not fixed at all.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
A new patch dropped today adding three fighters and fixing some of the AI issues.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I play this at least 5-6 hours a week and have since launch solely against the AI and I have to say I couldn't be happier with how they've supported the game. It's pretty easy for people to poo poo on EA games but the UFC guys obviously love this stuff and want to make this series a big deal. I couldn't be happier coming from the old days of struggling for any semblance of good mma games.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kilometers Davis posted:

I play this at least 5-6 hours a week and have since launch solely against the AI and I have to say I couldn't be happier with how they've supported the game. It's pretty easy for people to poo poo on EA games but the UFC guys obviously love this stuff and want to make this series a big deal. I couldn't be happier coming from the old days of struggling for any semblance of good mma games.

Undisputed 2 was far better than either EA games. The striking in that game was near perfect. So fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

Probably because you and people like you are the problem with online in this game. The new blocking system is fundamentally broken and literally impossible when someone makes a long and tall fighter with heavy/spinning body kicks. The guy spazzed because he's trying to have fun playing a video game and you're there button mashing like a mongoloid with your made-to-exploit-character. Can't blame you since its in the game, but I'm just going to assume you're a dumb turd if you're entertained by pressing back and X over and over for 15 minutes.

lmao

• Locked thread