Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What the hell do I do about the Witch of the Lake's red ball attack? It one-hits me every time she launches it no matter what I try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Absolutely needs a map, 2D is much less intuitive than 3D. Wandering around endlessly trying to find the one hallway you haven't been down or a place to activate your new traversal skill that you passed 20 minutes ago is Not Fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Babe Magnet posted:

Another thing the map would kind of ruin is that first experience where you realize just how big this game actually is. That was a pretty cool moment for me and I'm glad I went in as blind as I did.

The map would just display areas you've been to, it would be easy to make it hide how much more there is to find.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...you're exploring the parts of the map you haven't filled in yet. You're exploring because at no point does the game give you a specific goal location. The map is how you keep track of things you have discovered but are no longer immediately visible, also how you avoid going in circles between parts you've already cleared out several times over. Some people find that sort of thing fun, others don't.

How about we make the map a basic game feature and you don't press the map button if you think it would ruin the experience?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

So It Goes posted:

Also, I don't know what you mean by "specific goal location", that's just the type of fable-style cookie-crumb trail I really, really, don't wait.

I agree.

quote:

My location is to go "forward" to areas I haven't been, which leads to new areas, which leads to the end of the game eventually. There was a metroid game (zero mission?) that marked a map spot to go for the next power-up, which was stupid. Once it opened up the new area, I would go there anyways, I don't need to be bread-crumb trail'ed to the specific room, losing all sense of exploration. It's such a video-gamey thing that kills the immersion of exploring unknown territory, which is a unique type of experience that only games can provide. I don't want to be explicitly lead to where the jester gives you a brand, I want to find that organically because it gives the world a sense of place, that the jester wasn't sitting around as a video game objective gate, but you just happened to stumble into him while exploring a living and unknown world. The power-up you then realize lets you go into the castle, and etc. You beat a boss that gives you a key that you either know, or figure, unlocks that locked door that was in the same explicitly named area. So you go to that door and move on. Repeat.

I'm not asking for the map to tell me where to go, I'm asking for it to help me keep track of things I have already discovered. A part of the world remains unknown until I visit it. I have no idea where the castle gate is until I go far enough to the right. This is exploration. Once I go there, it is known to me. But it's not going to stay in my head if I see it once, then leave, then don't come back for the rest of the session, then put the game down for several days, then resume playing, then find the jester. What's the spatial relationship between the jester and the gate? Why can't the game show a record of the path I already took? I already explored the castle gate, returning to it is backtracking, and I'd rather not have it be full of wrong turns, dead ends, and already-opened treasure chests.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 22, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

I think the AI's just really weird in some cases. I was literally incapable of attacking The Coveted, purely because both ghosts got locked in a "stay in the air and spin around" pattern which made the axe invincible. A bit irritating to say the least.

You should be able to attack the axe when neither of them is holding it, that may have been a bug.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Platypus Farm posted:

I said "weapon" when I meant "enemy". It's weird to me that in this game you just roll right through the bad guy instead of just the weapon.

Necessary consequence of being in 2D, pretend that you're rolling around them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, that was an anticlimax. I was all ready to have my grand showdown with the final boss, and then he threw the fight by glitching me into a wall, from where I could hit him but the only way he could hit me back was his weak magic attack. Thanks I guess!

Really great game regardless.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stargate posted:

I also had no clue what the various creeds did and why I would pick one over the other.

Creeds affect what items NPCs sell and the text in the ending.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But ignore the in-game counter because it seems to count up while suspended. Mine said 170 hours at the end which I think is every hour since it released, minus a handful spent on other games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuzz posted:

I'm in the Red Cage area now. Found a Tachi, on a whim tried using it... holy poo poo, even upgraded it's better than my level 4 Martial Flail, what the gently caress. Leveled it up to 4 and I am MURDERING everything in sight. Red Lord? Parry x2, dead. Split Swordsmen? Parry, then slash an extra time. Holy poo poo whips are terrible.

I fully upgraded that tachi and used it for the rest of the game, it's pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

I guess Undersight is the gimmick of the Dome of the Forgotten area? What happens if you run out of the potions?

Then you can't see the whispermen. Good luck!

(They tend to appear around the clusters of candles, also they leave small puffs of smoke in the air when moving.)

Stargate posted:

Whip out your torch.

I wish they hadn't buried the instructions for using the brands deep in the inventory screen, the bottle system is right there and they were already used for a tutorial at the start anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Popelmon posted:

Just picked this up, really fun game so far. I'm stuck on the Mad Alchemist now. How the gently caress are you supposed to survive his lightning attack? When he hits ~30% he just keeps doing that attack several times in a row :(.

Edit: Oh, you can block elemental poo poo. That makes the fight trivial.

Edit2: So if you die from poison (after the source of the poison is dead) and if there are no other monsters around you just lose your salt?

If you die from something that isn't a monster a special salt ghost monster should spawn at that place to hold your salt.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dodging takes a bit to get used to, its main function is to move you across the enemy to get hits at the back. You'll want to crowd right up against him in you know you're about to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They are some supreme bullshit. That entire area is an enormous middle finger in map design form. The only good thing about it is that it's optional.

• Locked thread