Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This game is pretty cool. At the third boss and it really delivers on the "2D Dark Souls" premise so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

lets hang out posted:

holy gently caress saltless are miserable to fight

Protip: Their name is a misnomer; they can actually drop bags of salt. Just thought you guys should know!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

I just beat the Tree of Men boss, it was a miserable experience. No part of that fight was fun.

The Hunter can parry with his/her sword, yes.

That fight would have been 90% easier if the lower platforms weren't breakable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

He's extremely tedious and has a nasty tendency to kick you into a bottomless pit.

Uh that pit pretty clearly has a bottom. I know this because I died from hitting it several times.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is it just me or does this game give you way more gold than you can productively spend?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Solomonic posted:

Where do I go after completing the Red Hall of Cages? I went into Hager's Cavern but the difficulty seemed to spike dramatically there so I figured maybe I'm underleveled/underequipped and should come back later.

I think that's the next place in the default progression. You could also go to the Dome of the Forgotten which is where I went. Just go to the surface and keep heading right.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think my biggest complaint with this game so far is that literally every enemy ever, especially bosses, does fire damage. I want to wear something other than my blacksmith crap! Also Angsty Bones (poison sword skeletons) are the worst things to fight. I wonder if their teleport spam is an AI bug or if that's actually their intended behavior.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

There is that ring that prevents fire damage you could wear I guess

Difficulty isn't the problem here.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

acumen posted:

PSA: upgrade your armour. Each level adds quite a noticable amount to its defensive stats. It seems to reduce weight too? I noticed some fuckery with my Split Mask adding endurance, could just be a hidden stat though.

On a related note, it's weird how little upgrading your weapon seems to do.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm having trouble taking off the attack speed charm. It's pretty substantial so it feels like it gives you a lot more openings to land hits in.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Duke posted:

The Kraekan Wyrm is hilarious with the warhammer. Just put some electricity on it he goes down in like <10 hits. Where's a good spot to find Amber Idols?

Yeah, I enchanted my warhammer with the Iron Ones electricity item and he went down in something like 7 or 8 swings. It really made up for most of the bosses up to that point being very resistant blunt damage.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Protip: Just because you're holding nothing in one hand doesn't mean you're 2-hand wielding a weapon. You need to toggle it on the equipment page (or is there a button to do this?). I played all the way up to the lake witch 1-handing a great hammer with nothing in my other hand. I thought since my damage went down if I picked up a torch that meant I was 2-handing it :v:

Also, this game is really big. I was not expecting this much content.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lategame question regarding the floating castle. I made it through the first indoor area but now it looks like I have to jump for this ladder and I can't seem to make it. If I don't dash I can't jump far enough, and if I do dash I can't seem to grab it for some reason. Is there a trick here or do I just need to git gud.

poptart_fairy posted:

Are prayers worth working towards if I've started as a Knight? They seem allllllllll the way over the other side of the skill tree.

They're pretty good but you should probably focus on one weapon type and one armor type exclusively if you you're putting points that way.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is that one warhammer you find the only greathammer you can ever get? That is, can I have multiple greathammers in my inventory at the same time before ng+? I'm thinking of upgrading mine to the T5 version, but it's sooo heavy. I wish I had another one as insurance in case I don't like the upgraded version.

Marogareh posted:

You need to tap the air dash button twice to make that jump. I did that boss thinking I was almost done with the game and I still have like 7 more to go.

Oh dang, I didn't realize you could double air dash.

ymgve posted:

What's a good way to spend my money? The shops still have the same gear they had when I created my first sanctuary, and I'm sitting here with thousands that just bleed out because I die a lot.

If you pick the Iron Ones religion there's a hammer you can buy for 200,000g. I don't think I've ever had more than 60k or so at a time.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 18, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lakbay posted:

How did you people get 100k for upgrades? My salt count was never that high and I don't think I fought a boss that gave that much (even the final boss doesn't give that much salt)

Maybe I just suck :(

That big suit of armor in the floating castle drops 5000 salt baseline and with my metal lightning stone enchanted warhammer I can kill them in 3 hits. There's also two outside of the the asadsd dragon olijlj fight, which might be better for farming. Tedious, but hardly the worst grind ever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brumaldo posted:

How's the platforming in this game? Is there a lot of pixel perfect jumping over bottomless chasms?
I really like souls games, but I'm afraid the combination of platforming and souls difficulty would get infuriating quick.

There are some jumps that feel like they need to be 90% perfect or so. But the game is kind of slow so it's nowhere near as difficult as something like Meat Boy. The platforming is pretty similar to the GBA/DS Castlevanias.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Ugh, gently caress this Cyclops rear end in a top hat. Once he starts comboing I just get drained of stamina and die. It's harshing my buzz. Is there another route I can take? I don't like this guy but I've already cleared out the Village (I think).

I believe the cyclops is a required fight.

If you haven't fought the Jester, Alchemist, or Lady of Smiles those should all be accessible though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My poison dagger build does not feel like it's paying off. It tore through a few of the first bosses like cyclops and alchemist, but then the wyrm and the tree were immune which made them real slogs. For tree I ended up using 3 holy and 3 lightning buff items and the second stage still lasted like 5 minutes. It's not super great against normal enemies either.

Digirat posted:

I started with the devara creed because I have no idea what the differences are, I am using halberds/swords/ranged weapons/light armor. Thematically it seems like my creed is going to have more to do with prayers than things I care about, but I don't know. Would another one suit me better?

The creeds don't seem to matter that much. They just change a few of the buff items you have access to and a few of the weapons the smith sells. I think Devara might actually be a bad pick for clerics, since her weapon buff item is holy which is redundant with their holy weapon prayer. Any of the three default ones are probably fine unless you have something real specific in mind. I could be wrong though...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

My personal opinion on poison build, and indeed anything sort of gimmicky is maybe steer clear on your first run. It's probably doable but it's gonna be a hugeass slog when you're still trying to acclimate yourself to the game

Yeah, it is my second playthrough and it's much, much harder than my greathammer build so far. Except for the alchemist, greathammers are garbo against him but poison daggers tear him to shreds.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really wish the devotion quests were kill x enemies instead of farm x drops. It took me 54 drowned soldiers to get three ears, and I'm at 30 bats killed and have yet to see a single one of their items.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I realized you can do the Ziggurat before Hagar's Cavern and the Mire of Stench. It makes those zones a lot more fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if spells count as a "attacks" for the purposes of the focus restoring item the mage creed gives you?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That dome place is cool but the last challenge is nuts. I don't know why this knight has so much loving hp.

There's a few weird things like that. The hit boxes from Retcheaters is weird too, I've hit them with a fatal blow, only for them to still grab me AND damage me in their grab attack animation before vanishing abruptly.

Yeah, I've had that happen too. Some other weird bugs: If you get killed by boss several seconds after you kill it (as far as I know poison is the only way to do this) your salt is stolen by "A Simple Sack" and is unrecoverable as far as I can tell. If you land on a disappearing platform and die from fall damage your character's corpse will get back up, fall and die again when it hits the ground. This can happen multiple times if there are multiple disappearing platforms beneath you.

The knights have crazy resistance to bladed weapons but die pretty quick to blunt, in my experience.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Feenix posted:

I've beaten jester and alchemist and kraeken, etc... I explored a bit and got items at dead ends... Other than getting the Hager hate open from the right side somehow the only place I seem to have left is the Red Hall? (With the sword zombie right inside...) but it has a NASTY fall and that's about it...

A little guidance, if you please?

Look around in the area past the jester fight. There should be someone you can talk to.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

Trying out my new spell on a boss! (Dried king)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqRkCb7I7g
The next two boss fights were just about the same.

How did you even get that spell before defeating the Dried King? I've been using it on my NG+ run and it's still killing bosses in a matter of seconds.

That spell seems seriously overtuned since the others spells are good but nowhere near that ridiculous.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I need some locks of hair and the merchant early on who sells them loving moved, where can I find him?

He should be above the exit of the castle of storms, that place you have to reach with an obelisk. I think.

Most creed's merchants will sell them once you get a bit of devotion.

Megasabin posted:

Are the elemental stones you get from your faction any different than the ones you can buy? I notice they have a different item slot/name. Are they more powerful? If not is there any reason not to just pick the extra health potion for all 5 leader item ugprade slots? Elemental stones can be bought for 500 gold a pop, while max potion size is a limited commodity.

I'm pretty sure they last longer, and maybe they're stronger. I haven't actually tested this though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuligin posted:

Are great hammers/maces just really rare? I've cleared Red Hall of Cages and I'm still rocking the default warhammer. I mean, it's ridiculously effective as is, but I've unlocked up to level 3 great weapons and I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. I do have the option to transmute it into Obsidian Pillar but the scaling is awful (albeit I'm not sure if that even matters in this). This game is really good.

There's only one in the game as far as I can tell. The rest are transmute only.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuligin posted:

The run up to disemboweled husk sucks so bad.

It's not bad if you get the air dash first.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

Without spoiling where it is, is that bag of earth the guy wants a random monster drop or is there a place in the world to pick it up

Yeah, you pick it up somewhere way later. IIRC the reward is nothing special.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kobogartimer posted:

It seemed to show up after advancing the Splendor creed either all the way or most of the way, since it literally appeared in the magic shop from one moment to the next after I ranked it up for the last couple times.

Ah, I had assumed it was the mage creed only. I guess their only exclusive things are their devotion buffs.

NotAnArtist posted:

A multi-char fight in a pitch black pit? I have no idea what you're alluding to.

As for the bloodless prince, I found his body slam to be the worst. The shockwave would always catch me as I tried to roll through his feet.

That move sucks, as far as I can tell you just have to iframe it. There might be some way to dodge it involving air dashing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Parrying and shields don't seem to be of much use in this game, mainly because the 2D plane allows for much greater enemy variety and vertical combat than you'd see in the Souls titles - parrying is great and relatively simple when most of your baddie roster just crawls or stomps along the ground and tries to take piece out of you, but S&S has flying critters and sniper critters and angry blobs and lightning ghosts and suits of armor so big they need they own zip code, many of whom like to fight you in groups. It sucks, but a build that's just rolling around with a big-rear end chunk of metal to hit things with is far and away the best one in this game.

I guess it really does stick close to the Souls formula, DEX builds always get shafted.

Parrying is really good against certain enemies, mainly anything humanoid that's tough enough to warrant it. I think anyone who doesn't have a ranged weapon equipped can do it, so it's really something you just break out when the situation calls for it, rather than something to build around. I find the 2D perspective makes it way easier to pull off, too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Multi-type weapons require skill in 1 of the proficiencies, not both, right?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

acumen posted:

The machine gun fire sort of spell you have to anticipate and either be behind her or on the opposite end of the screen. The outwardly spinning black balls you can pretty easily dodge-roll, and the single ball that shoots lines of fire I've found success in air dashing through, although it's was by far the most difficult one for me to avoid.

The real problem is when the red ball forces you to dodge in a direction away from her and she follows it up with the spray attack. She's pretty frail so I've always just rammed my face into her until she doesn't use any super gently caress you combos. Air dashing does seem to be the way to go for dodging the ball, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lakbay posted:

What's the unique stuff that the Fire and Sky creed give you? I haven't been able to complete the pixel perfect jumping puzzle to get to them

They sell some weapons that scale with magic (that you can also get through transmutation) and one of their devotion items buffs your magic for a decent amount of time. They sell high level magic but it sounds like splendor/betrayer do that too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

P. much. Though that's not always necessary. Remember that in addition to spells which much be cast with wands/staves, there are incantations that are used as items (and equipped in the 5 empty slots below the items slots). You got a lot of options of how to set up your 2 loadouts, is what I'm saying.

I can't say for certain, but you should be able to respec in that manner. The only verboten respec is ones that have pre-reqs; e.g. sword 2 must have sword 1.

The equipment nodes also give stats equal to the number of pearls they take, so putting a point in a weapon you're not using isn't a waste as long as it gives a stat you use.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Good point. Forgot about that. Although you could then put that pearl into a later magic-boosting skill and progress further along the tree earlier, not that it would help all that much.

I'm pretty sure you can't put points into wands 3 without getting wands 1 and 2 and etc., if that's what you mean.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did this game ever get a balance patch? I remember being really disappointed when I tried a poison/dagger build and both of those things turned out to be terrible. It's kind of dumb to make a poison-centric creed when it seemed like the majority of consequential enemies are immune to it.

There's a good variety of strong builds though, so don't let that scare you off if you're on the fence...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Don't think it did, but supposedly the dev was going to patch in some more content at some point... I'm not sure if that ever panned out, but maybe if the PC sales are good we'll see some more life out of it. I think the main problem was that it came out on PS4 only around the same time as The Division and then it was just overshadowed by Dark Souls 3. The fact that they're releasing it now after a large number of people have chewed up DS3 and want more is probably a great move, and hopefully it gets a lot of visibility and people grab it because it's seriously a phenomenal game. I actually enjoyed it more than DS3, call me a shitlord.

I liked it about as much as DS3, which is pretty good for a $20 game made by 2 people. I feel like they had pretty bad launch timing and very little buzz, unfortunately.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Popelmon posted:

Just picked this up, really fun game so far. I'm stuck on the Mad Alchemist now. How the gently caress are you supposed to survive his lightning attack? When he hits ~30% he just keeps doing that attack several times in a row :(.

Edit: Oh, you can block elemental poo poo. That makes the fight trivial.

Edit2: So if you die from poison (after the source of the poison is dead) and if there are no other monsters around you just lose your salt?

IIRC The Mad Alchemist is a special case since he can kill you after he dies and he doesn't respawn. So yeah, if he poisons you and you die after killing him it's just gone. That's also why his drops are an item on the ground instead of being added to your inventory like most boss items. Unless I'm remembering this all wrong...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Wow, the Cave of Whatever (starts with an H. Haeger?) is by far the worst area I've encountered thus far. The enemies are annoying, the boss is hard, and the run is way too long. The skeletons were bad enough when you're just trying to kill them once, what with the seemingly entirely random teleporting whenever they feel like it, but then it turns out they have infinite aggro range and will literally teleport into the boss arena if you didn't kill them. And also a few of the floating enemies will follow you in as well because why not.

And then the game has the audacity to follow this mess up with the forest 2.0, this time with more poison. Ugh. At least I can better equip myself against poison.

I reccomend going through the dome and ziggurat first, it makes that area way more fun. It's actually an optional area, if you're a completionist, but I wouldn't recommend skipping it your first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Transmutation will lower the weapon level by 1. Always check to see if you can just transmute another weapon if you're not sure if you're going to like the new toy... you don't want to end up in a situation where you transmute your main weapon and then the new one has a different moveset you don't like or something. Generally speaking, weapons transmute based on type, so if your CLaymore can be transmuted, probably any 2handed sword can, which means you can just use some trash one you've found or just buy a new one from the merchant and transmute that.

EDIT: Quote!= Edit. Sorry for the double post.

This is kind of a bummer for great hammers since you only get 1 per playthrough, as far as I know.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm another Steam late-adopter now that I'm almost done with DS3. I guess heavy armor and greathammers/axes are the way to go for a first playthrough? I just found the claymore and have an upgrading question: I know I can transmute this to other things, but do I lose the upgrade levels if I do that? I have a bunch of hair that I can use to make this +1, +2, etc, but will it go back to +0 if I transmute it to something else? Also, when do I find my first greataxe/greathammer? I'm only in the Village of Smiles so yeah, very early still.

There's a forest past the village of smiles (you don't need to fight the boss to get there). The greathammer is located shortly after the boss of the forest. I'd say easiest build is probably greathammer user who worships the three for access to both fire and lightning creed buffs. Armor isn't super important, but you probably want to level up one of the two trees so you have access to some variety.

• Locked thread