Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
The rules (especially #1 and #2 in the OP) are not great. Yes they are better than the willy nilly approach most people have, but they also promote a weak-tight negotiating mentality that will hold people back in the long run

When I got my current job I opened the negotiation with an ask of ~40% more than what I was previously making and my new employer willingly met that ask. I told them what my previous salary was to give them context. The narrative was: I'd been underutilized in my previous role and had exactly the skillset they were looking for to take them through their next phase of growth. They knew what they were getting and I knew exactly what I was worth. I was also able to back channel through a friend who helped present my case to my employer

This had everything to do with having done my homework beforehand. If you do sufficient homework, you have the power to set the table for a negotiation that will get you what you want.

Just a thought :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Lockback posted:

I know this thread strongly mashes the "Get them to give a number first" button, but there is a lot of research into anchoring high too, and in your case that is what you'd want to do, I feel.
Bravo! I've sometimes done this and it seems to work when you're in demand and confident in your value. More often I regret not doing this. Also agreed that being first on the chopping block because you're expensive is not a thing

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Good-Natured Filth posted:

They do offer equity (unsure on the details of that yet), which is something I don't have today, but it's a privately held company that I doubt would ever be bought out or go public anytime soon, so that benefit is counted as a big $0 on my calculations sheet.
There is a low but non-zero chance that i) they pay regular dividends / distributions if they are a mature company and ii) the nature of the equity they're offering would allow you to participate in that. Worth confirming before you discount that possiblity to zero. Finally, I would expect the next few years to have a big wave of M&A as industries of all kinds reconfigure themselves. If the company you're considering is a leader in its own way there could be some value there.

Note that equity is always complex (e.g. shares vs RSUs vs options, do they have multiple classes, is there any debt, size of option pool, etc etc) and worth digging into - don't assume that a percentage is a percentage is a percentage. Happy to help via PM if you need it

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 31, 2020

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ultimate Mango posted:

My gut tells me I need to be with a smaller company than a larger one. Being with a small group in a big company still give like zero freedom given the role segmentation that happens at scale.
Agreed, but that's why you have to decide whether advancement or stability is most important to you. I think people often lie to themselves about their risk appetite because of social pressure, and it can later bite them in the rear end when negotiating. Anyway, I'd be careful if I were you: there are many smaller companies that systematically underlevel and box you into dead-end roles. IMO the culture of the team you're joining and your new boss's attitude is key and everything else is secondary (including whether it's a FAANG or not)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Chalets the Baka posted:

Thanks for all the advice/reassurance on this. How much leverage over other terms of the offer (salary, benefits) would I likely be sacrificing in favor of a later start date? They're looking to hire quickly - I think this position is open because the previous person quit due to being required to be physically in the office - and I may not have too much leverage here to begin with, unfortunately. Upside is I may have another offer coming down the pipeline as well, so I'm not completely out of options. Both employers require physical presence in the office/onsite, which I'm not comfortable about, but it seems that's the nature of most work available now.
I've done a bunch of hiring and a seriously delayed start date (say anything past 4 weeks in the future) is a big no-no. I wouldn't even think of it in terms of leverage, because if it were me across from you I'd just pick other candidates. Since you do have savings I'd encourage you to take the plunge with the sabbatical and not look back. There will always be jobs in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Chainclaw posted:

... the end of each month over Venmo, with an additional $185 target hourly rate paid out of a 2% monthly revenue share...
I am not a lawyer so please don't rely on my commentary!

If you're going to do rev share you need language that allows you to review financial records pertaining to the company/app. The deal point about ownership of the work product only transferring to the buyer when you receive acceptance and are paid in full on your initial development fees is a really good one as well. Also I would suggest not specifying payment method in the contract. Ultimately though a rev share can get very complicated and unless the potential earnings justify the hiring of a good lawyer at $250+++ per hour the simpler option may be preferable