Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dik Hz posted:

Excellent OP, Dwight. I want to add a common piece of advice from the old thread. If someone tries to punish you for negotiating, they are a shithead and you do not want to work for them or be associated with them. Not all positions are negotiable, but you should certainly treat them all as negotiable.

Also, another common one that gets asked and answered often: Don't tell a recruiter your target salary. They get paid when they place you, and if they can convince you to take less money they are more likely to place you. Tell them that you will carefully consider the complete compensation package for each offer you receive, just like you would an employer directly.

This has probably been covered a hundred times over in the other thread but I don't remember ever seeing it within the past few months... why is this such a firm belief in SA when there's a lot of research that suggests anchoring (being the one to give a number first) could potentially be even better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring#In_negotiations

It feels like there are two polar opposites here (offer first or have them offer first), both of which have advantages and disadvantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risket posted:

Sorry, I should have specified, they're RSUs
Then the equity offer timing doesn't matter. If you get a $50,000 offer, it doesn't matter if current price is $1 or $100 of the stock; you're still getting $50,000 worth.

It only matters if the price changes between when you get your offer and when the RSUs vest, but if you could predict that, you could just be playing the stock market instead of working.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Risket posted:

The first 25% won't vest for a year, so I imagine the stock price will change between now and then.
Just as it would change had you started earlier. Don't waste your time with hindsight bias; you couldn't have possibly known that the stock price would shoot up if you were getting this job offer in 2013 instead of 2016, just as you don't know whether the price will go up or down between today and next year.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it kosher for me to ask "what would it take for me to get a promotion after this year" during an annual review of some sort? I am friendly with my manager and he tries to fight for us when possible, but it would be nice to get a list of [required achievements to get a promotion to Senior Engineer] or whatever. Unfortunately my job description is too fluid to lock down too many of these goals perfectly.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"First year" engineer but position roughly of a third or fourth year. 2.7% raise and a ~8.2% effective raise in equity ([new equity awarded] / [base salary + base signing equity]) with distributions every 3 months starting immediately. 10.9% total raise, minus whatever volatility/opportunity costs of having that 8.2% in equity rather than cash.

is this OK or kinda good or really good for engineering? also is this the correct way to look at it? obviously cash is worth more than equity so if you prefer, assuming 30% drop in equity value, 2.7+5.7 = 8.4%

~asking for a friend~

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarForumPoster posted:

with one exception and that was in tech and was an equity bonus
ok yea I fall into this category. i know there are other negatives to it (future raises wont be a % of the equity so no compounding gains, etc.) but for year 2 seems good. thanks

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarForumPoster posted:

Correct. Just curious, is this a publicly traded company? Blue chip stock? These are the huge differentiators. If the stock is Apple/Google/Tesla/Amazon/etc then great....if it is Yahoo or something "pre-IPO"...well significant risk is involved there.

2.7% raise alone with a COLA this year of 0% isn't horrible (and isn't good, either) Also, Bay area/Manhattan tend to have wonky salaries in general because of the hilarious cost of living.
Yes, high cost of living area and publicly traded company. I guess if it's standard for the area then it's not that great, but if other companies in the area don't pay it then it is good... probably too relative to field and location for me to be asking generally in the first place I suppose.

The real comparison should be "go get an offer from another company since youre so young and you can probably get a 20-30% raise" but I'm not super interested in moving yet

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good point. I guess I felt bad for "wasting their time" but perhaps if I go in with a better strategy of making it clear they need to sell me on the job (without sounding like a dick/like im just applying for the sake of applying) it'll be more appropriate. My inexperience is showing here.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it common to be able to ask your own HR department for total compensation and breakdown for your own information?

Does every company consider total compensation with the same formula/factors? For example, do some companies consider ESPP expected value as part of total compensation, but other publicly trade companies with ESPP ignore that aspect? or public transit incentives, or whatever other obscure factors that may or may not be included.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ADolan posted:

I just received a job offer for a company where I would be making $57k/year and receive a $2500 bonus payable after 90 days employment. This would be a huge leap from my previous job where I was only making $48k/year in a much more expensive city. Well before reading this thread, when I applied for the new job I mistakenly mentioned how much I made at my previous gig and asked for $55k/year for desired salary. My question is whether it's still worth negotiating for more money since they knew how much I made at my old position, and I asked for less than what they offered. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I had a similar scenario where I asked for XX dollars thinking it was high, and then was offered like $7k more than that. I ended up still asking for more but my situation was different; I was an intern, knew the dynamic of the company, knew my recruiter had no real say in hiring me, knew my group didn't care and probably wouldn't even find out about negotiations, etc.

Agreed that you should probably just accept and be thankful they're giving you a whopping 19% more than you asked for.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could really use some advice when trying to shift fields and roles while taking a significant pay cut.

Current employer: ~$163k total comp, getting promoted in 2 months for +$20k to $183k

New job offer: entirely different field that I want to move into. Still working out details, but probably ~$60k, maybe $70k total compensation tops. It’s hourly (with overtime), profit sharing, some 401k match, not sure what else. It’s an associate manager role and the director said that I’d be “close” to a regular manager role but that they'd want to start me out as associate.

How do I properly negotiate this? I was thinking:
- Leverage my upcoming work promotion as a way to bump this initial offer to regular manager role and compensation bump to go along with it
- If that doesn’t work, ask for compensation bump to the regular role while keeping associate title and a clear performance plan and timing to get promoted in ~6 months of high performance from associate to regular manager
- If that doesn’t work, just ask for compensation bump

I’m happy enough where I am and made it clear I love my current group (although not in my ideal industry) and wouldn’t mind staying that badly, but do really want to shift to this industry. So I think I have some solid BATNA, but it’s difficult for me to figure out how to properly negotiate other than just “more than what they initially offer”. Any advice here? I don't have a solid number for what I would and would not accept, since I want to move industries so long as I'm initially making a livable wage and growing from there.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 7, 2017

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm thinking about taking this new job (moving from senior engineer at a top company which I don't enjoy, to associate manager in a completely different field, non technical, non engineering, etc.). The pay will be significantly lower which I'm okay with. I'd rather not come in as associate though, and I'd rather be paid more, like everyone.

The recruiter said that they "we did our best to make it hurt as little as possible" and "but still coming into an associate level role here"

The way I see it, it's perfectly reasonable to negotiate once, and somewhat reasonable to try again a 2nd time, and pretty unreasonable to try for 3rd and 4th. Is that about right? Meaning I could...

1) ask for bump from associate to regular manager, sounds unlikely
2) ask for pay bump and performance plan to get promoted in 6 months or so

Is this a good idea? I might be wasting 1) since it's so unlikely, but at least it would anchor the conversation for negotiation number 2) as being more reasonable. Or I could skip right to 2) and then as my second negotiation if that one fails, try for a stock bump instead of salary and a 12 month performance plan instead of 6 or whatever.

LochNessMonster posted:

Personally I wouldn't take that large a paycut but seek out jobs in which you can leverage your current skills/industry experience and learn parts of your desired industry.

Might take a lot more time finding such a job, but at least you're making 100-120k more while doing so.

I had a similar situation a few years back. Was an expert in my field making good money. Wanted to switch to a different field but noticed I'd have to take at least a 50% paycut which wasn't an option with a wife, kids and a mortgage. I wasn't happy with my old job (well basically my manager) so I :yotj: and started working for a consultancy firm. After a year I landed a gig in my desired field but specifically for my old skillset. So now I'm learning my desired skills while getting paid for my experience in my old field. And I'm likely getting a job offer to join my current client permanently in a month.

Worked out great for me, but not sure if I'm the luckiest sob alive or if this isn't uncommon.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I can really leverage my skills the same way you have in the new role. Mine are super technical based, aside from some people and project management skills which I'm already leveraging. I think I want to just get into the industry now rather than wait longer. I don't see higher pay happening unless I started climbing the ladder in engineering. Seems like taking the big pay cut wasn't an option for you, thankfully it is for me despite not being ideal.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 17, 2017

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got an offer far above what I was expecting. this is a smaller pay cut that I'm very seriously considering, especially because I love the company. Total comp will be over 100k.

For better or worse, I asked if there was anything they could do on the salary side (rather than ask for a flat $10k more or whatever) to leave it open. The recruiter said it's looking unlikely but he'll know by Wednesday, and wants to talk today (Tuesday). Is this just so he can gauge my likelihood of walking without them bumping up the salary? Should I talk, or just wait to hear back Wednesday? The current offer is far enough above my expectation that I'd probably take it without any increase, so I don't want to go too hard.

Blinky2099 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did that, got an additional ~$6k salary on top of an already good offer. Thanks again for the advice, LochNessMonster / No Butt Stuff / my favorite SA thread.