Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hey thread- I’m looking for some advice. I’m trying to go part time and, in doing so, cut out a big daycare bill for the next few years. I do IT work in a moderately niche field.

My current employer is pretty great- flexible, good bennies, manager, commute, may be in line for a dece title change in a year or two. My manager is open to cutting me to between 24-32hrs, but has to pass it by the higher ups in mid-January. There is a chance, albeit low, that they don’t approve the reduction.

I interviewed at another place as a backup and they are hungry for me. Like, <48hrs from submitting application to scheduling a manager interview, and <24hrs from interview to reference request. I’m trying to stall them at this point so my manager can get an answer to me. The position has been open for a while so I’m not too worried about them passing on me.

I do really like my current employer, but I want to see what this other one will give me. There’s a good amount of overlap between the two employers, and I may need to collaboratively work with the other organization in the future- so what are some constructive ways to slow down the HR process and/or pressure my boss for a prompt answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Mr Newsman posted:

I'd get an offer first and see if it's worth changing for.

Turns out it’s worth changing for and my current employer will likely not be able/willing to compete.

Not what I was expecting, but it’ll be a pretty big lifestyle improvement that will set me up for a massive salary increase in ~5 years.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

Usually when companies dangle a "huge increase in x years" in front of you, you're better off switching jobs to get an even bigger increase. There are of course exceptions to this.

Oh, they didn’t dangle that in front of me and I don’t trust that sort of thing unless I have it in writing.

My hourly rate increases a lot at the new position while I make the desired switch to part time. When/if I switch back to full time in a few years I’ll be in a better position to demand a similar (or higher) hourly rate with more hours.

Moving between jobs is basically the only way to get significant raises or schedule changes and it’s kind of depressing watching my current employer throw away a few years of investment in a difficult-to-hire/train position.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I’m in a weird spot for negotiation and would appreciate some insight from the thread.

I work in a moderately niche healthcare support field. I worked at a large campus full time for $63k ($30/hr) and tried to go part time there. They didn’t bite, so I left for a very similar role with part time hours for $55k ($44/hr). I’ve worked there for about a year and a half, can’t stand my manager but am able to tough it out. Both positions are salaried/exempt, no meaningful bonuses, standard formula vacation hours.

Colleague from the first place contacted me for a flex hours full time opening that is a promotion from my position (ie analyst 2 vs analyst 1). Interviewed right away and they’re having hr extend an offer in the coming week.

The manager at the first place is aware of what I make at my current job from when I left. I doubt they will offer the equivalent hourly rate, but I do really want this job and am willing to entertain a slightly lower per hour rate.

I think I have a lot of ability to negotiate up- they know the quality of my work, I’m already pretty integrated into the support structure, and I walk through the door being useful rather than training for 6+ months.

How should I approach negotiations coming from part time? My rates for benefits will be significantly better, but I feel like I shouldn’t undercut myself there.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

I think I have a lot of ability to negotiate up- they know the quality of my work, I’m already pretty integrated into the support structure, and I walk through the door being useful rather than training for 6+ months.

How should I approach negotiations coming from part time? My rates for benefits will be significantly better, but I feel like I shouldn’t undercut myself there.

Quick update on this- they contacted me yesterday with a somewhat disappointing offer after ~running the formula~. At the offer, I would make the same amount of money per hour after taking into account new benefits rates/credits. I would hope I would get an effective increase with the hassle of a job change, and I told the HR guy as much.

He went on about equity and years of experience and their salary formula and was frankly a little weird. If I hadn’t worked with the org before and know this guy had nothing to do with my job I’d have been pretty off put.

Long story short I’m waiting to see if the formula is more flexible than he’s admitting it is. And it’s hr so I doubt I’ll hear anything before the weekend ugh.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Lol our department is generally hemorrhaging people and my manager is trying to hype me up over our scheduled 2.5% cost of living bump after I directly asked about a market adjustment and I, for one, am not particularly excited.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Hi negotiation thread. I’m pre-offer but have essentially been told to expect one next week. This is the first time I’ll really have the ability to negotiate an offer (previous jobs were big HR rubric non profit entities) and I’m looking for some guidance. I really want the job and the change of pace/growth potential that comes along with it, but I’m in a stable job that underpays me but puts food on the table.

A couple things:

- internal recruiter misspoke the base comp band on initial screen, we caught it at final wrapup call today. I believe it was an honest mistake, but it set salary expectations ~20% higher through the fairly intensive interview process. I’d be decently happy with the number floated today, but obviously would prefer higher.

- recruiter said the corrected pay band is limited in flexibility, quoted ‘top’ number, but said there is a decent amount of room to negotiate signing bonus (stated at $5k) and RSUs (stated at $20k)

- good chance for pay increases within first year from planned HCOL area adjustments as well as a quick promotion track

- company pre-IPO, likely going public next year, generally positive business outlook

I guess… where the heck do I start with this? I’m a solid candidate and lightly overqualified with extra years of experience relative to the job listing. I just feel lost as to what is even reasonable.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I’ve got two competing offers from different companies (one of which I’d much rather work for) and boy negotiating feels horrible and nerve wracking and I hate it.

Grateful I get the option to do it, though.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I got competing offers from two for-profit companies and negotiated both up about 15% with two rounds of negotiation and accepted one that I’m very happy with.

Coming from very large nonprofit healthcare entities that never budged on anything, this was absolutely wild. Thanks for the tips, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Ugh the whole process is dumb because on the other hand, I countered with $15k above the internal recruiter’s range that they gave me and they said they could do that so like…

None of these places are on the same page with how they treat their numbers so as an applicant it feels like a goddamn free for all and you might as well throw a high number into the mix.