Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Don't attribute to malice what can reasonably be attributed to incompetence.

Someone hosed up, ask them what happened and they'll more than likely fix it really quickly. No one wants to deal with DOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How's that even a question? :cripes:

There are only upsides with going with option C.

Paying people a decent wage is a huge part of getting people to stick around. Offering higher than what they asked for is a big plus and as you already mentioned, doesn't affect your budget anyway. It also short-circuits that onerous and dumb pay negotiation game before it starts, which is cool and good.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

People don't quit jobs, they quit bad managers :v:

My manager commented on how happy I was at work today ...

I guess he'll figure out why when I tender my resignation next week :unsmigghh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I booked a "followup meeting" with my manager today, for Monday at noon, with no agenda.

:sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Why have a face to face meeting? Is it just to make them squirm? Or is it a business courtesy thing?

Last two times I've left jobs, I've just done it with an email to my boss and maybe their boss as well. Something like, "To whom it may concern, please consider this my two weeks notice. The last day I will be available to work for Chocolate Teapot Inc is xx/yy/zzzz. As a matter of personal policy, I will decline to conduct any exit interviews."

I want to deliver it in person, and get right on planning for a cordial handover of projects and tasks. Let's say 90% business courtesy / 10% to make them squirm :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not really an exit interview as such, but I had that meeting with my manager today, where I handed him my resignation and we talked about project handovers, knowledge transfer etc for a bit, as well as some (good-natured) griping on his part for our main customer "poaching" me.

10/10 would do it that way again.

As an addendum - the notice period over here in :norway: is generally 3 months, so it's not like I could have just walked out afterwards, even though I really want to get this poo poo over with so I can start at my new job :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My plan is to give as few fucks as possible until December 17 :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Our HR manager came by today to ask me about leaving etc. He didn't seem too happy about my answers, but gently caress him :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn't sound like that job is really worth moving to, tbh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hadlock posted:

My buddy is one of three people in the world who knows how this $1mm/year piece of software works, he mostly noodles around with medium format cameras and guitars all day in a third world country and rarely works even a half day on Fridays

Is he uh... interested in training someone? :allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I mean more when he's getting ready to retire :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

air- posted:

Offer was rescinded in response to my counter offer :rolleyes:

You dodged SO MANY BULLETS today :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not sure why you would voluntarily move to the UK. Especially not post-brexit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I remember using a citrix solution via 256kbit vsat while at sea, it was just as poo poo as it sounds like :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Take the job, get that prestigious hospital name on your resume and find a new job in 6-12-18 months? :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Do I just say gently caress it and not care about my current employer and quit?

I suggest you care about your current employer just as much as they care about you. AKA not at all. gently caress em.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

bamhand posted:

I've never quit a company that has had a ping pong table.

I have :v:

A ping pong table (that I don't use, I don't like ping pong) doesn't compensate for poo poo pay and having a sociopath as a manager.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

fourwood posted:

Is everyone in finance just assumed to be guilty of a lot of poo poo or what?

Yes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's (imho) a pretty big red flag, unless it's public service. But they tend to pay rather poorly so I guess it's not :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

Maybe but in this case the op said it was within a good range. If it's a good salary and the other factors are good, no reason to look at it as a red flag.

I thought it was a US job, things are somewhat different in Europe :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Not everyone ITT lives and works in the US.

Some places actually have proper labour laws, that protect workers from being exploited :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We need more IT people in :norway:

Just saying.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Edit: the US generally is a good deal for 10%ers roughly because you actually get pretty good benefits along with your relatively high salaries. Worker protections do suck but everything else is fairly good.

As long as you stay in that 10%, and you play your cards right with investments/savings and whatnot - and more importantly - don't develop any debilitating health issues that you can't get fixed easily, you're good.

For someone like me, who's born and raised in :norway: and already in the top ~10% of earners here, there's very little incentive to move to a country that's actively worse on almost all metrics, for an uncertain (but probably bigger) paycheck.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

As much as I’d like to move somewhere not in the US I don’t think I could get away with not knowing Norwegian in Norway

Lots of IT companies use English as a working language, so that's not an immediate showstopper. You would have to learn the language to get permanent residency, though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What kind of job are you applying to? Big international company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I keep taking time off, but my flex hours keep racking up :iiam: