Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
I hadn't posted in this thread previously, but I had read it before engaging in talking to two companies who both wanted to hire me. Thanks to the advice I had read folks in this thread giving I *almost* doubled my previous salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Im not that interested tbh. Why take off work, so I have a better BATNA? I'm not interested in leaving. And I can make reasonable estimates thanks to glass door and payscale, even correcting for their off averages. Best case is maybe my current position at a compa closer to .8-.9 (since I was promoted to a technical level that I haven't been out of school long enough for). Thats a short sighted choice compared to the benefits of where I work. Companies wont just randomly pay me 2x my salary when they can hire a similarly qualified person for 1x my salary and I can reasonably say that they can based on the data I have.

For what it's worth, I've found Glassdoor to be entirely unreliable if you're in any kind of high skill position. I've been significantly above what Glassdoor says in every company I've worked for or gotten an offer in the last 3 years. I originally thought similarly to you, I liked my (then) current job and I knew I was already being paid more than equivalently skilled people at other companies (because I had talked to some of my friends about what they got paid). Then I got laid off and I ended up with two offers at almost 2x my original total compensation (and one of those offers expressed interest in going even higher if it would mean I would pick them, but I didn't really want to work for them). If you're happy where you're at and what you're getting paid that's fine, but I would take Glassdoor and Payscale with a fairly large grain of salt and I wouldn't assume you can't get a pay increase, even a substantial one, by looking elsewhere (even if you ultimately decide that staying where you are is worth not taking more money).

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

baquerd posted:

Interesting, I've found it to be fairly reliable and matching other sources, but I've generally worked for large corporations. The more data points reporting, the better, of course.

FWIW those were companies of 6000 people, > 300,000 people, and now > 200,000 people. My current position the salary portion is accurate if you look at the top end, but that's because there is a hard limit on salary at this company where the rest of your compensation beyond that transition to RSUs.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm not gonna post numbers here but needless to say I'm 29, a programmer, and make a comparable salary to those posted already. I've doubled my salary in a single, aggressively-negotiated job change. I don't think you're a mega-idiot or anything but I think your loyalty is misplaced and, if push came to shove, it would not be reciprocated by your company. I think many people end up complacent in where they are and encouraging others to embrace that is pointing them in the wrong direction. If you had just posted about yourself I'd have left it alone, but you encouraged others to do the same and that compelled me to respond. You set the tone. :twisted:

PS Not a very good :master: in this forum

FWIW I'm in a similar boat. 28, a programmer and I was with a company whose job I liked and I felt some sense of loyalty to them and didn't feel like I could replicate that job elsewhere (particularly at what I thought was a high salary of ~180k between base and RSUs). Ended up they laid me off and I ended up with a new job that I liked and played multiple competing companies off of each other to end up with a 300k salary between base and RSUs. Do never assume that your company cares about you or that you can't get something better without looking.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

25k is fine to ask for, but you'll notice there's definitely a line in the sand between companies who are actually willing to pay for talent and those who aren't. Amazon regularly pays 25-100k in signing bonuses spread out over a few years for one data point.

Similarly, I'm aware of someone at Amazon who got a signing bonus of $230,000 spread out over two years. Although I think Amazon's signing bonuses are less traditional signing bonuses and are more to make up for the fact that their RSU grants for new hires are skewed towards getting very little until their 2 year anniversary (it's like 5% the first year, 15% the second year, and 20% every 6mo after that until the grant is depleted).

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

I'm in a fairly strong position, and trying to double check my plan for the best way to leverage that.

I'm a little over 2 years at my current job, and compensation is a bit strange here. Basically every employee has a target compensation which is not known to them (although you can kind of guess it), and through a combination of base salary plus RSU grants with vesting events every 6 months that last about 2 years each, you're expected to reach your target compensation. My company does a compensation review every year, where they look at the previous two years of performance of the RSUs that you've had, and use that to determine what grants to give you this year. My understanding is that if you were effectively overpaid because our stock performed well then you'll get a smaller (or no) additional RSU grant and if you were effectively underpaid because the stock did not perform well, then you'll get a larger RSU grant. The idea being that you'll roughly make, on average, whatever your target compensation is, but it can be highly variable from one year to the next based on stock performance and what grants you're getting.

In addition to the above, when you're hired you're given a "new hire" grant, which lasts for 4 years, but is structured so that you get 5% at 1Y, 15% at 2Y, and then 20% every 6 months after that. To make up for this somewhat silly RSU structure, I was giving a "signing bonus" of effectively a larger salary in every paycheck for years 1 and 2 (slightly decreasing in the second year) and which goes away completely in year 3.

This month will be the first month where I'm getting only the base salary in my monthly paycheck, and the rest of the difference has to be made up from our RSUs. My base salary is 160k (there's no room to move up here, this is a company wide maximum salary unless you live in specific, high COL areas) and at the current stock prices I stand to receive an additional 240k this year from my RSU grants, which puts me at ~400k compensation this year if the stock prices hold out, and possibly more if they do better.

I have reason to believe that my target compensation is somewhere in the low 300s (a friend of mine within the company suggested that looking at what the "estimated first year compensation" is in the offer letter is a good way to dial in what your target comp is). This means that I'll likely want to switch companies before my new hire grant is completed (or shortly after), because my understanding is that I can expect a sharp pay cut in my 5th year (because they'll look at it like I got overpaid in the last 2 years), possibly all the way down to my 160k base.

Through an internal referral I've been interviewing at another large company, and so far things are going well and optimistically I suspect they're going to make me an offer, likely at a higher leveled position than I am currently in (I'm arguably underleveled at my current place, but I'm currently getting paid as if I was the next level up, so I haven't felt a huge drive to push on it to get a promotion).

I know that typically the advice is to not give out your current compensation, but I think that in my case, it makes sense to tell them that I'm currently expecting ~400k total compensation this year, and see what they come up with. My BATNA is strong, I have absolutely no qualms about staying with my current company other than the fact that such a significant portion of my compensation is tied up in RSUs which are highly variable and that I expect 2 years from now a sharp decrease in my compensation. I'm a software engineer so it's not like there is a shortage of jobs available for me either.

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to get comparison compensation, as I've never had much luck with sites like Glassdoor, my personal compensation has been significantly higher than what Glassdoor reports for that company + position in 3 of my last jobs, and the rest of my jobs were companies too small to have any salaries listed there. The site levels.fyi has salaries that largely fall in line with Glassdoor for this company, but it has a few outliers of slightly higher positions (including one at a lower position) ranging from 400k (1-2 levels below the position) to 66k (~3 levels higher than the position). All of the exact same positions are showing up in the 250-350 range. The base salaries listed on all of those are in the 190k-240k with the rest being made in RSU grants.

I *think* that in this case, the best plan of attack (assuming they make me an offer) is to tell them that my targeted compensation for this year is 400k, without mentioning what the split is between base salary and RSUs and attempt to get 220k or more of that as base salary. Does that seem reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

asur posted:

Do you just want a higher salary but the same total comp? That seems like a waste of time to me. I'd ask for higher on both TC and salary.

Sorry, no I meant to mention the current compensation to anchor the discussion that they'd need to be above that to make it worthwhile to leave my current position, to make sure that they don't come in under my current compensation.

interrodactyl posted:

That is a very long way to say that you work at a specific FAANG company and you are looking to transition to another FAANG. I am going to assume that is the case. If that's not true, ignore all of the following advice.

You can ask your recruiter what level you will enter as once you finish interviewing and they are ready to give you an offer. I recommend them going on the Blind app and searching for offers for that level from that company (note that aside from that, it is a garbage app with an awful userbase). Then ask for the total comp you want for that level if you need to, but otherwise you should still try to make them give you an offer first. Note that this advice changes depending on the specific FAANG company you're going to.

Also as a reminder if you're in California, employers are legally obligated to provide you the salary range if you ask for it, which can help you build your target comp number and get a better understanding of how your comp will be split up.

More or less, Amazon is my current employer and Microsoft is the potential new company (I don't think Microsoft is technically a FAANG). I'm not going through a recruiter, I'm talking with either the hiring manager, or their skip level (depending on specific position) directly as the role was an internal referral directly to them, so I think they're somewhat in control of the leveling of the positions. I'll take a look at the blind app thanks!

Unfortunately, not in CA.

I'll avoid giving a number to see what they come out with then, and see what they do.