Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

That is what I figured you'd all say. Not sure what I'll do to respond, since he has answered all my questions and that is what I usually use to deflect. When he kept insisting I literally said "I've heard you're not supposed to say a number" which is when he said this other stuff, which I didn't necessarily agree with but it sounded a little like 'anchoring' so I was not immediately dismissive.

I would continue not saying a number, but it sounds like this recruiter may force you to say one so you may want to have one prepared. If the recruiter presses strongly enough at a certain point you may have to anchor at a number you give or walk.

If it's early in the process I'd generally recommend walking because it's a bad sign, but if you've already interviewed or desperate then you might as well give anumber that you'd be happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Red posted:

I had a great interview with a panel on Friday, and they asked for my references this morning. They want to bring in someone ASAP before the current person leaves. I asked if they could provide the proposed salary before I provide references, and their offer was $500 more than my on-paper salary, plus a signing bonus. However, my current position also provides a yearly $5-7k bonus (which is due at the end of the month, so I'd be forfeiting that); so I responded that I couldn't accept a pay reduction. They responded:

How do I respond? I'm tempted to just give them the actual number, and if they can't do it, pass. Is that the right move?

Edit: I guess I'd respond:

- "My target has been $XXX,XXX. Can you get closer to that?" But that gives them wiggle room. So maybe just say number.

Don't ask if they can get closer, just state what you want e.g. my target is $X. If they can't meet X then they'll respond with a number anyway.

For the signing bonus portion, you can ask for them to cover your bonus you're leaving behind.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

priznat posted:

Not sure if this would be the thread for it, but when leaving a job do companies usually cut off RSU vesting if they’re in a notice period?

I have a bunch vesting on Dec2 and trying to figure out how I want to do it with a start date for a new job and when to give notice/last day for on my current one.

Might be a bit of a stretch and I would like to just move over, but if I could make Dec 8 the last day with the vesting in the notice period..

While they probably could do so I've never heard of it happening. I'd be more concerned about being immediately fired upon giving notice.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Femtosecond: has the US firm given you an offer? If not then wait until then, if so and it's too low for you to take then you should counter with what it would take for you to take the job over the Canadian offer. You don't need to give an explanation for your counter number beyond that you have a competing offer.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
While I agree that you should value startup equity at zero because this unlikely to be worth anything the logical conclusion is to not work at startups because they will value the equity and the total compensation will be significantly less than at a public company that gives equity.