Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

The financial specifics of another offer are still not information I'd be giving out 'for free' unless you don't have a choice or if your first-choice job is matching the second-choice offer. Just like how I wouldn't choose to reveal my current salary unless it's a show stopper not to, it's none of their business.

Even though I agree many companies and HMs do not interview 100% ethically I would not recommend outright lying about current salary. I think some puffery about total compensation, value of benefits, etc is acceptable if you're clear it's total comp. TC is a better measure than cash comp anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would never show an interviewer another company's offer letter on principle. If I say I have an offer, I have an offer, asking for proof beyond that tells me a lot more about you than it tells you about me.

I tend to agree if you're interviewing for a new job. Just as a data point for a different situation, my employer requires a non-redacted copy of the offer letter from the potential employer if they're going to match it to keep you.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I don't know what your salary is or your location, but that sounds like a very low ask. It would be better to ask for more and be able to fall back on that.

Don't let their first offer of no additional comp anchor you into thinking a small raise is reasonable for the extra work. It sounds fairly substantial, and it will be hard to get any major adjustment in the future even if you do perform well.

At the risk of saying too much in one post: A contingency is a risk but it may be your only option if they won't play ball. If you have a six month contingency, it should be for real money (compensates you for aforementioned risk and six months of extra work for free) and be in writing.

antiga fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 25, 2016

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I'm sure others will chime in, here's my 2c.

I like opening with your accomplishments. Overall wording is good, just modify the bit about what you "hoped" the salary would be and what would be "reasonable". Come up with a concrete, confident ask, $X, and have a defense for why that is appropriate. Best option is a salary for a comparable role which is admittedly difficult to find, next best would be current salary upped by whatever percent extra time you expect to be working. If you'll be doing weekly overnight travel, 15% is easily justifiable. If you have friends in similar industry roles, ask them what they think.

You could also offer raise to $Y with a bonus Z such that Y<X but X+Z>Y. This gives him a chance to pay you for performance. Make the terms reasonable given that this is a new role for you and get it in writing.

E: in the end, you have to decide whether it's worth it to you to develop those skills and build your resume by doing the work at a discount. I understand that trade-off well. With whatever contingency/salary/bonus structure you come up with, +15-25% sounds attainable to me given the increase in responsibility you described.

antiga fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 25, 2016

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I wouldn't work for someone who doesn't believe in additional compensation for (substantial) additional work. So if it's the right move for you to do it and get the skills/resume so you can quickly move to something better, that's understandable. Otherwise, that guy deserves to lose people for giving that response and having such a poo poo attitude, in my opinion. Your ask was totally reasonable.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Obvious answer is that salary is dependent on role and responsibilities and something like you'd love to discuss the role in more detail, but what Mickey said is likely correct.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I agree with both previous posters that you should negotiate in good faith and not move the* goalposts after they match your ask, but in my opinion if he negotiated with the understanding he'd get 1.5x for OT and now he's getting 0x it's legitimate to revisit base salary.

antiga fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all consulting is bad

Not strictly on topic but saw a few consultants in the thread and need some advice. I'm a second year manager at a T2 strat shop (LEK, OW, Kearney, etc.) and accepted a lateral move to MBB a few months ago, starting in the Fall. This was always going to be a pay cut for 2021 - they're leveling me as a new manager (fine) and only willing to cover a fraction of my 2021 bonus as signing. This is fairly typical I think, many laterals are down-leveled with the rationale that you can make it up quickly if you're good at your job. I accepted this (maybe wrongly!) and bet on myself.

Current employer has since increased base pay >20% across the board and increased bonus targets, following peers who have done the same (notably BCG). Newco is 100% aware of this, and I reached out to clarify their plans and if my offer would be affected. They asked for proof on my side but aren't saying a word about their plans. I pressed and was offered a small increment to signing bonus, but no commitment on base salary. So, I'm now set to be out 2x what I thought in 2021 and $30k in 2022 base if they do nothing. I'd have to stay with current employer +6 months to get my bonus paid out, which doesn't seem like a realistic request.

So, now I'm in a quandary. I signed the deal and am not trying to two-time, but I think maybe I'm an idiot to take this much of a pay cut? Here are some questions so the thread can make fun of me:
* On a scale of 1-5, how out of line is it to even bring this up given I've already signed? I'd normally say 5/5 out of line but with so much of the industry making changes, I think it is a reasonable question
* Is switching the no-brainer my colleagues are telling me it is, a.k.a. should I shut up and stop over-thinking it
* Am I stupid for considering a pay cut for a lateral move in the first place