Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I had a job interview for a position with a city government in Washington State today; I don't anticipate getting an offer, but the position is union-represented; given that it's a government position and union-represented, I think benefits and salary are locked in and non-negotiable. Is that the case (I've never been in a union before)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, reviewing some of the posts in this thread, I'm wondering if I hosed up. As I mentioned before, I interviewed for a position with local government. They stated a pay range in the job description which was pretty wide, but started at slightly less than what I'm making now and went up to a 20+% raise, in addition to being a union-represented non-exempt hourly position (as opposed to my current unrepresented exempt salary position). Honestly, even if I got the bottom of the range in pay, it would probably represent a significant increase in my hourly pay (given the extra hours I work).

All that being said, I'm currently working as a sysadmin-level IT professional in a not-for-profit. The job I'm interviewing for was described as a "PC Technician," the job description carried a lot of desires for pretty technical things (pretty much all of which I meet), and was hinting at some relatively large projects. One of the early questions was "we're converting from Office 2013 to Office 365, what are some possible obstacles you think we may run into with this?" I gave a pretty loving detailed answer to it, citing some work I'd done earlier, and some pretty specific and fairly technical obstacles. After this, they broke into some more technical questions, which ended up being things like "what is an IP address and how would you find it" and "what would you do to troubleshoot someone who can't print?" (these are very basic questions that anyone competent who has done pretty much any IT work would know inside of their first month). Once the basic questions were done, they asked me if I had any questions, and I asked some, and one of the people there followed up with a question of "why did you apply for this job?" I gave what I thought was a good answer about wanting to do some altruistic work, looking for "the last place I'll be working" at this point in my career (i.e. someplace with a public pension), and--here is where I'm wondering whether or not I hosed up--that while there were a lot of things I like about my current job, I'm underpaid and overworked, and that this job would offer either a small pay bump and a much better work/life balance, or a very large pay bump due to the overtime. I was really worried they were thinking I was overqualified, and wanted to alleviate that concern; given that it's union, government work and they already laid out a pay band, did I gently caress up?

I'm also probably going to be applying for a lot of jobs like this in the future (which is to say, jobs that I appear to be overqualified for; the sysadmin-level jobs in the local government are largely only open to internal candidates), is there a different, better way I should approach this?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 11, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

fakeedit: I've worked for nonprofits twice (one medium-size, one small), and my experience both times is that their executives take outlandish salaries for themselves and their posse while hammering at everyone else to accept being overworked and underpaid because we're not for profit, we all sacrifice for the good of the community! and usually also pressuring everyone to totally-voluntarily-but-you-drat-well-better-do-it-if-you-want-a-future-here volunteer their time or donate their money back to their employer on a regular basis. That's private nonprofits, not government.
This is absolutely happening here. Executives and managers are paid well, and everyone else is scrambling around for poverty-level wages. We're a financial institution, and I'm in charge of a system that manages hundreds of millions of dollars in assets (back-end database access, domain admin, etc.), and I get paid $50,000 a year. I would say I'm surprised we haven't gotten dinged on our security audits for it, but lol at any sort of systemic accountability for anything like that in this country.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Suicide Watch posted:

A company I'm looking at says this on their application form:

What do? :shrug:

"Top of the salary band."

No idea if that's useful or not.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

This also gives you some drat good motivation to ask as many questions as possible to give yourself a solid foundation to tweak the original quote. This is good sense anyway, but now you've really got a reason to do it.
Yeah, I think your best move is to go over your benefits, and find something to latch onto. "When I gave that range, I was expecting 3 weeks of vacation per year instead of two; given that, I would need either another week of vacation, or for you to come in at $Y instead of $X."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You can definitely live on $65k in Denver, but just be aware that it will require more planning and effort and tradeoffs than living on $65k anywhere in Tennessee.
This is very true. I'm living on $60k in Seattle. Hell, I'm building savings on $60k in Seattle (not as much as I'd like, for sure, but doing it). But I'm also living in a small apartment with a roommate and no car. Up until 'rona, I was still eating out a shitload, though. And taking a big trip every couple of years, etc.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who works for a startup that was bought out several years ago by a much larger company. The larger company is outsourcing most of their teams to India. This dude is a manager-level (like, eleven reports before they started cutting people). They've more or less admitted that all the teams will be outsourced in the next year. He pulls in $80,000 a year; what's a good ask for a retention bonus? The best people to train are leaving like crazy right now, so I think he's probably got some leverage.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

He should be leaving also. Director level (11 reports is effectively a director) of a successful start-up should be making more than $80k. Even in a low cost of living area he's underpaid to the tune of $50-100k
He's not a director, he's definitely middle-management; the reports are all low-level (but skilled) employees. He is absolutely very underpaid. He's a bit of a weird dude, and just wants to ride this out regardless of the retention bonus (he wants to spend some time funemployed, he can definitely afford it), so isn't looking for another job; I suggested he ask for a retention bonus.

Officer Koala Fart posted:

Are retention bonuses generally asked for? In my experience they are freely given by management desperate to retain talent while the organization is falling apart.
This is a good question; I mean, you can ask for anything. Is this a bad idea?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just had a recruiter play the "we're not continuing with this discussion until you name a salary" card.

I'm thankful I'm not desperate, and I'm guessing they're having trouble hiring for this job because it has weird hours (that I think I would actually really like). I followed up by asking several clarifying questions about the job (the description didn't even mention whether it was exempt or not), so we'll see. I strongly suspect they're trying to pay very little for the position, and when I name a number they'll tell me to gently caress off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Did they reach out to you or vice versa?
I reached out to them. Application on Indeed, filed through their internal site.

Lockback posted:

Naming a number first doesn't have to be a bad thing, in negotiation it's called "anchoring" and there's tons of research to indicate its better to anchor than have the other party start first and anchor too low. Tibalt's example is a good example where he got played because he was already at a disadvantage and didn't know the ranges to begin with.

If you're being pressed for a number, do the research and find a number at or above the top of their range so you anchor there. It really isn't hard to find this info in this day and age, you just have to hunt for it.
Yeah, my plan was to anchor high, but I really did need to know some things about the job before I did that (like, y'know, whether it's exempt or not, and I wanted some clarity about how on-calls and weekend/holiday work would be handled, all things that are important for naming a number, I feel like).

She wound up responding to my questions by giving me a salary range, so, mission accomplished. :xd:

Also, I'm not sure whether recruiters would consider this a positive or a negative, but I find myself getting partway through applications for jobs that look like I may be interested in but don't super excite me based on the description and just not bothering finishing the application if their application site is a pain in the rear end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don’t work at a nonprofit if you can help it. They won’t go a dime higher than maybe $85k, the bennies won’t be nearly worthwhile, and you should decline and keep looking.

You should never accept a decrease in pay unless you have a very good, concrete justification for it (which, here, you do not). It would set your future earnings potential back catastrophically. Unemployment is actually better than accepting a lower salary, if you can bear it without bankruptcy.

IMO your next move is “sorry but that would be a significant step down for me, good luck with your search” and move on. Ignore any bullshit you may get about Making A Difference and all that.

Just echoing this. Aside from executives, people work at non-profits because they believe in the work and don't care about money. If you want to get paid, look at private sector, if you want security, look at public sector, if you want to feel good about your work, look at non-profit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chalets the Baka posted:

Thanks for the the advice - I'm not going to accept this job, unless they can come up with total comp that ends up better than what I've got now. I'm not holding my breath.

Another factor that makes leaving this job for another one difficult is that I became a Canadian permanent resident before the lockdowns, and was interviewing remotely for positions in Toronto when the border closures happened - then all the interviews sublimated. I had no intention to find another job here, and even if I did get one, I would skip the country as soon as things were safe enough for the border to reopen, and I don't want to have a job on my resume that I left after less than 12 months. Technically I can cross now, but I'd still have to quit my job without another one since I'm not getting interviews while in the US. It's starting to feel like my only options here are to stay in this job and just continue to accept bad treatment.
One job of less than 12 months isn't a big deal. Get paid.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Had The Talk today with the HR person for the local government office for my hopefully upcoming job switch. It's a union job, pay bands go from $75,000-$95,000, I went ahead and asked for the 8th of ten steps at $91,000. I'm hoping they come back with $80-$85,000, but honestly I would totally take the $75,000 (it's a 25% pay increase with better benefits).

Thank you thread for making me brave.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Had The Talk today with the HR person for the local government office for my hopefully upcoming job switch. It's a union job, pay bands go from $75,000-$95,000, I went ahead and asked for the 8th of ten steps at $91,000. I'm hoping they come back with $80-$85,000, but honestly I would totally take the $75,000 (it's a 25% pay increase with better benefits).

Thank you thread for making me brave.

Ooookaaayyyy... So, I'm expecting this offer to come in today, but also had a call with another job I'd been interviewing for that weren't as up-front about salary. We were talking next steps, and I said that I was almost certainly gonna accept this first offer, and they asked about a counter-offer, and I said "I mean... I would entertain one, but it would need to be six figures," figuring that was a gently caress-off number... and she said "let me talk to some people and get back to you."

She said I was their number one candidate, and head-and-shoulders above the others. Over a year of applying and interviewing with no offers, and then this in the same week.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just put in my notice. 60% salary increase, better time off, plus going from 3% matching on 6% contribution to retirement to 7% matching on 7% contribution, and when I told them I was leaving, even after I told them my new salary, my boss suggested they wanted to counter. Get loving paid. You're probably worth more than you think you are (I was hoping for a 35% increase while I was searching before I got my offers). Listen to the thread. :yotj:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Congrats and thanks for coming back to the thread to share your success. Are you going to consider a counter depending on the f-you number?
New job is $96k, I told them $115k to counter, and they're already spinning up my replacement (who is my protégé, who I recommended they tap, and who I am telling to play hardball on the negotiations). Honestly, even if they had met the $115k, I would have asked for a guaranteed severance as well (which needs signoff from the CEO), because I wouldn't have trusted them being willing to give me a 90% raise.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is this the same job and they offered you more than you asked for? Either way :yotj:
I had another offer, but the initial offer was $95k, and the actual offer is technically $8000 a month, and they do everything by month, so it got rounded to an even number. No complaints from me. :lol:

That job actually fell through; it was going to be a "temporary" 36-month position at a government office that makes internal-only job postings all the time that I'm qualified for, but the funding didn't come through, and the term got reduced to 6-12 months. I wasn't worried at three years, but at 6-12 months I was.

Which is why you don't put in your notice until you have the official offer, and don't withdraw from consideration of other jobs.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 23, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zarin posted:

Question for the thread: I've recently accepted an offer, and now it's time to move forward with a background screen, drug test, etc.

I'm 100% confident that I will pass all of that with ease, as I am an incredibly boring person. However, the one thing I'm wondering is how much I should care about the step where they reach out to my current employer. I intend to give my 2 weeks once I have passed everything. In the meantime, should I be concerned that having someone call and inquire about me might flag me in the system or something? For what it's worth, I work for a very large company, so I have to imagine that whoever fields these calls gets hundreds a day and is just going through the process as fast as possible.

Still, though, wondered if anyone could provide any color around that specific piece of the process!
Employment checks get done for things other than switching jobs, like loan applications.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Freelancing/contracting is also somewhat paradoxical in that the higher rates you charge the better customers you tend to get. You have to view a freelancing position as a business-to-business transaction, not a business-to-individual transaction. You are a business and should know what your going rate is. And it should be high out the gate because you can always negotiate it down, but very difficult to negotiate it up.

Tightwad lowballing customers are the worst and will waste hours of your time nitpicking invoices over a few hundred bucks.

When I briefly had to deal with invoicing as a consultant, the customers with $50k invoices never complained and paid right away. The customers with $5k invoices were enormous shitheels about it and I never want to work with them again.
Having been the tightwad lowballing customer (I mean, not me, but the people I was employed by at the time): this is 100% true.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

If your boss seems cool and open to it - try arranging your final few weeks with your saved up vacation time so that you're on the books but not at work when bonus day +1 rolls around.

Usually bonus policies like that require you to actually be working the final day/week, not just on the payroll.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i read the entire op and it has been a powerful affirmation of my suspcion that office workers live in an entirely different world than the rest of us
One of my good friends moved out to where I live on a bit of a whim, and I moved into an apartment with him. He worked in food service previously, and I referred him to a job in the call center of the financial institution I work at. The first holiday season rolls around, and he asks me "so, how does this work? When do we get a chance to ask for Thanksgiving off?" I had to explain to him why they're called "bankers' holidays."

We really, really do, and it is profoundly unfair. The vast majority of people working in hospitality or doing manual labor work way harder than us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
RE: wage slavery, if you are in retail or food service and looking to get out, one way to do it is to go to work for a bank or credit union as a teller or call center jockey. It's not going to pay that much more (and in the case of some food service jobs, may actually pay less), but many teller/phone teller jobs come with benefits at a base level (insurance and paid time off, yo), and especially at smaller institutions, there can be opportunity to move to non-customer facing roles, which lets you get the true white-collar experience to parley into other jobs. It also has the advantage that your retail/food service experience is relevant, and if you're posting on this forum, your computer skills are probably significantly better than their average applicant's.

I have a few friends who have done this, so, y'know, anecdotal (my old roommate just moved into a salaried analyst position via this path from working food service five years ago), but it seems relatively solid; as solid as any other path out I've heard of, especially if you don't have a college degree.