Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

interrodactyl posted:

So you still have no idea of what kind of package and position you could have gotten elsewhere.

Seriously, what is the opportunity cost of going to one interview?

For all you know you could have gotten 30% more somewhere else, but you're still flying blind. Loyalty doesn't mean you can't evaluate fair compensation.

I'm not saying the factors you listed aren't important, but you may find that there is a better fit that handles all of those things important to you. But you won't know unless you go out and seek that info.

Im not that interested tbh. Why take off work, so I have a better BATNA? I'm not interested in leaving. And I can make reasonable estimates thanks to glass door and payscale, even correcting for their off averages. Best case is maybe my current position at a compa closer to .8-.9 (since I was promoted to a technical level that I haven't been out of school long enough for). Thats a short sighted choice compared to the benefits of where I work. Companies wont just randomly pay me 2x my salary when they can hire a similarly qualified person for 1x my salary and I can reasonably say that they can based on the data I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Great job on not negotiating and it paying off somewhat for you. This is the negotiating thread so unless you can offer something useful for those who don't have the precise scenario you had where you got away with it why are you posting here? I mean you just said you're not interested in negotiating or evaluating the market.

I am very interested in negotiating and do negotiate within my company often. Some example of this are getting to go to additional training (in fun cities) that is beyond my work scope but prepares me for what I want to do next (This has netted about $6000/yr in travel/training), making arguments to get additional people to our team (we have a loan in now to lighten our load we wouldn't otherwise), paying for a Master's degree (This costs my company $15k/yr and me $0/yr), and probably some others. I also negotiated when I got this job 2 years ago and the result was a salary higher than what my data said it should've been. While I may not have negotiated in this instance I certainly spent months marketing myself for this promotion.

I generally post here to give people advice. In this case the useful advice is "be patient", don't get angry or react too quickly.

The learned lesson is 1) Ask for your compa ratio cause hey they might tell you and 2) be patient.

The advice/lesson is not "don't look for other jobs" and being patient doesn't have to involve that. As many people have pointed out, it doesn't hurt to look for other jobs and I agree thats generally good advice. Its not useful in my exact case but agree that isn't the general case.

EDIT: This guy is the overly confrontational one btw:

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This almost certainly won't work.

If you don't have the courage to actually come right out and say you'll leave for a better opportunity in the same company, why should I believe you'll actually have the courage to go ahead and do it?

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Congratulations.

You're the insufferable socially maladept engineer stereotype.

Being well liked by my management coupled with my work performance and other parties interest in me is what got me promoted. You have a lot of claims about me and my personality but the data says otherwise. Chill.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 12, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bolind posted:

How does one best go about applying for an open position in one's own company?

A friend is working at a decent sized company, about 2000 people in head office and 10k world wide. The role is OK, but not stellar, and she's slightly underemployed.

Now the company is looking (externally) for a candidate which matches her profile rather well. What are the unwritten rules for applying for a position like this? Like in any other scenario, I guess the goal is to not let it backfire on you. I have no idea what the policies/traditions in this company are on internal recruiting.

Is it best to apply "externally" like any other candidate, or should one have a lunch with the potential dept. leader and do it a bit more unofficially.

I would call the manager to have lunch and to discuss fit as well as apply. Order is not strict IMO.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Do I have any options here? My BATNA's continued unemployment, so I feel like I don't. I read the transcript of the salary negotiation podcast with Mr. Doody that was linked upthread and in the OP, so I know I should negotiate, but the offer's only valid for two business days (seems pretty short) on top of everything else, which makes me hesitant. I was planning on countering with asking for a little more than the median salary for the actual position instead of the things I was looking at and performance reviews every six months for the first two years; does that seem reasonable? :ohdear:

1) They can make the offer good for as long as they want. This sort of language is to elicit a fast response. Give them one since you're going to negotiate.
2) State that the offer is below the expected salary now that you understand the job and benefits package and you'd agree on $Xk in light of this new information. Phrase it however you want, but it sounds like this is the actual reason youre unhappy that they hit the bottom of your range. This is a simple, straightforward, honest answer that doesnt lie about your BATNA.
3) IMO the performance review every 6 month things is not something you should count on. As many beat me on the head about your big raises come from moving jobs like youre doing now, not usually from performance reviews.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Venkmanologist posted:

Well I think the interview went well and I was able to confidently answer questions pertaining to the specific work that will be done. They grilled me a lot on project management and how I would handle hypothetical situations. I think I conveyed a good level of competency.

Salary never came up at all which worries me. Who knows. I've had interviews where salary came up in the phone screening before any actual interview. It has yet to come up in this process.

Hopefully I get a phone call/email this afternoon.

FWIW, My experience across 30ish interviews has only been the opposite (for companies >100 employees) when it comes to what my salary WILL be. By the time they get there they're clearly very interested. As for my "expectations" they usually ask that right away or when I apply.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

the talent deficit posted:

your data that says you're paid 25% below industry average?

28%, and yes. I am 3 years out of school being paid 28% less than someone who is 7.5 years out of school. 7.5 being the average experience of someone at my level.

EDIT: So to be on track by year 7.5, I would need to get 7.57% raises each year to be paid the average by the time I reach average tenure. My raises have been 7% and 12% in my 2 years here. Thus my strategy would be to get >8% raises or consider leaving/moving within the company.

Also, not sure how my company calculates it, if its not adjusted for cost of living (which is .93 best I can tell) then its actually an adjusted compa of .774 and I would need a 5.75% each year raise to stay on track.

Also, as I've mentioned a few times, they pay nearly $20k/yr for my masters/training that I dont think is counted toward that.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 28, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jordan7hm posted:

You should stop posting advice.

Just in case anyone listens to you.

You should quantify how your career is doing that merits your great ideas.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'm 35 and a VP at a public company whose responsibility includes contract negotiations and I'm making over $200k a year in base salary, plus I receive a bonus and stock options.

I think your advice is stupid and mostly centred around mentally justifying the lovely situation you allow yourself to remain in.

Is that sufficiently credible for you to stop telling people stupid things and representing it as 'advice' about negotiating?

That's excellent. Is there some advice I've given others you disagree with or is it mostly my attitude about liking what I've accomplished personally and being standoffish about it?

the talent deficit posted:

i dropped out of school to make video games, almost immediately quit that industry to spend a decade as an artist in the film industry and now i make $220k as a programmer specializing in distributed systems and ~*~big data~*~

three years ago i was making $90k in my first job as a programmer since the video games days

Congrats!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Most of these are fair replies and I will have a different tone. It wasn't meant to be directed to everyone but rather that guy specifically because he is not in the same boat you all are.

I agree that no one should be complacent. Some see what I described as patient as complacent, I can see why even if I disagree.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 28, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Caustic posted:

Thanks, that's an interesting perspective. The role is in software, for a top company in the Bay Area. I'm coming from a similar role at a competitor. I'm not planning on or expecting decades of commitment, but likely at least a few years or more.
I'm in Operations, not a developer or software engineer or anything.

If it is Apple, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I was approached internally to join an R&D team that would be rewarding to work on, very prestigious, expose me to leadership routinely, etc. They're awaiting funding but I got a firm invite to the team both in person and in an email after I sent a thank you. It will require significantly more hours of work compared to my strictly 40 hours job right now. The move is lateral, I'll have the roughly the same title and pay grade. (I was just promoted to this pay grade 6 weeks ago)

Any tips on the timing/strategy of broaching the subject of a raise? Do it once they know they've got funding but before I get a firm offer? After the firm offer? Etc.