Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

What are people's opinion about just lying about your current salary (or inflating it) and then using that number to negotiate slightly up from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

See I think that's interesting if only because the metaphor that's always used in the negotiating rhetoric is poker. So there's no room for bluffing? Since bluffing's not a good course of action, why not ask the employer how much they have budgeted for the position during the interview, or is that another no-no?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sundae posted:

It also depends on the offer you received. I wouldn't go any further than a $500 breakdown unless the starting offer did, in which case you can match their sig figs.

My most recent offer from a company was delivered to single dollar resolution, so I had clear negotiation room with that, but most don't do that.

I love the idea of negotiating a salary down to single dollars.

"$55,231."

"I'm sorry. I just can't do it for less than $55,286."

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 16, 2016

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

murked by dragon posted:

Most public sector jobs are on pay schedules where your salary increases annually up to a certain point. You've got one opportunity to negotiate when you're first hired, but you'll likely only be able to negotiate within a defined pay range for your job class.

This incredibly important and is something I only realized after the fact and then felt bad about. Once you're in at your scale you're locked - there's no jumping the line or moving forward faster than anyone else unless you leave to another agency in the public sector.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does anyone have any advice for negotiation in the public sectors? I feel like negotiating is possible, but it needs to take a very different approach than what you'd do in the private sector.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Given the "moving is the only reliable modern way to get significant pay increases" perspective here, how long are folks feeling is appropriate to stay in a new position before casting about?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So here's a situation. My employer had a detail opportunity open up in a fairly hip/interesting department elsewhere in the country and one of the folks in that department reached out to me because they thought I would be a good fit.

It's just a temporary detail with the same pay, but the work is high profile and a good direction career-wise. I had some issues that I figured would prevent me from taking it though and I told them I wouldn't move and I was already committed at least 25% to something else.

They came back and told me I could do it remotely (no commute!) and they'd take 75%. I spoke with my department head about it and they said absolutely not, that we were too short staffed.

Now. I could still take the detail, but it would burn bridges if I did so. Especially when the details end I could see myself coming back to a damaged relationship. BUT I was also thinking of jumping ship and quitting come next year anyway because I've just about maxed my opportunities in my current office and I'm becoming dissatisfied with the work.

Any advice?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, I have some advice.

Your department head should turbofuck him/herself with a garden rake.

The relevant question here is: is this person powerful enough in the company to prevent you from transferring?

If no, take the transfer and begin looking for your next job, knowing you won't be going back.

If yes, drop it and begin looking for your next job, because even having the conversation with your department head about it 100% put you on their shitlist. Just their reaction makes it clear what kind of person they are.

I mean, in her defense we had a key person announce that they'd be leaving soonish last week, so she's not wrong. I think I may carefully thread the politics on this and see if the department head of the person hiring for the detail would require my manager to be okay with the detail. If so, then I'll stick it out until next summer (there are significant financial benefits of doing so) and if not I'll burn the bridge and not look back.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My partner got a job offer from a State University and two other places she applied to (but was less excited about). It's basically everything she wants and a big pay increase and she's just thinking of taking it without any negotiation, considering it's a bit extra confusing negotiating with public bureaucracies.

Normally shed negotiate, and she is in a good situation to do so, but she's not sure if it's worth it even in this particular case.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Got some government negotiation questions I'd like a perspective on:

I currently have another job offer in hand from a different government agency. It's a lateral to a more interesting job, but more work for the same pay in a more niche industry but an office with growth opportunities.

My current job is insanely easy, I have near complete autonomy, and low pressure. There are lots of jobs in the industry, but I'm capped out on my career options locally and have a new director that's actively stopped me from getting at least a detail to another spot with more options/growth for me because they "don't want to lose someone" (this is why I applied to the new job.)

Do I:

Go to the new director and negotiate for the detail (letting them know I have an offer elsewhere now), where I can do interesting work but also look for a stronger offer elsewhere in the meantime.

Take the new offer, even with the downsides (same pay, more work)

Silently turn down the new offer and keep looking.

Take the offer and just move on.

Or is there another option I'm overlooking? Because this is government I can't negotiate salary and I also can't get fired/hurt much by letting the director know I'm looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It depends on your relationships and actual long term goals.

Also, I find there usually is wiggle room with government pay.

Some questions to ask yourself:

1. What’s the life cycle added value of skills learned from the new position compared to your status quo?
2. Honestly, do you want to give up your easy job?
3. If you reject this offer, what are the odds that you can find a better offer? (I.e. equally or more skill growth but with higher compensation?)
4. Are you at a point in your life where you are okay staying at the same income trajectory for a couple more years?
5. What are the risks of telling your current supervisor (who already prevented your transfer/promotion once) that you are looking for other positions compared to what potential benefits?

#5 is especially dangerous to me. I’ve only been in one work environment ever where I felt like my supervisors were sufficiently on my side to help me look for other positions.

Yeah.

#1. I think it's a wash. I'd learn and grow a LOT with a great team. I'd get objectively valuable experience, but I'm not sure if that experience would be in stuff that's highly paid/valued elsewhere (lots of public engagement work, facilitation, and conflict resolution work.)

#2. Only for something that's quite compelling

#3. I'm fairly confident that I'd find something else. This is the first response to a series of applications that I have out and it's not like I'm unemployed with bills backing up.

#4. I'm early career. I guess that means it's best to aggressively look for a higher trajectory early on?

#5. My supervisor is actually amazing. It's her supervisor that's the problem. I think the only downside would be sticking around for a year following telling her, because the director might engineer a negative performance evaluation for me that would follow me to other government jobs.