Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Will do. I was probably reading too much of Reddits "if they didn't get back right away they're not interested". :v. Thanks for making me feel better!

It's not a bad idea to keep applying and interviewing like you were ghosted, though. Until you have a written offer in hand, it's in your best interest to keep looking anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

I'm hoping to get some advice on negotiating salary for a new position in the same company.

Two weeks ago, my job had an in-person conference. Two of the speakers mentioned a topic I was curious about, and I asked about it at their breakout/networking session. One guy said "Oh, you should absolutely ask the other guy about that, he's working on that topic." The other guy listens to my question, talks about his project, then starts asking about what I do. Then he grabs a chair, we sit down, and he starts really talking about what he's doing. He asks what I do as an analyst, then talks about how he's got an analyst position or two approved to support his project, and they'll be internally posted shortly. We exchanged emails, and he just sent a follow-up today saying "HR still hasn't posted the new job, as I understand it it'll be on par with your current level, I'll keep you in the loop."

The work he described was interesting, and I think I'm really well suited for it. Any advice on how to make sure I come away with a solid pay raise in addition to more interesting work when my current company knows what they're paying me? Some random points are:
- I'll be able to see the pay range for this (and any other) posted position
- Been here for 4 years. I'll find out my next raise in a month, but my salary went from $80K to $84K. Working in health care during a pandemic meant no raises in 2020, buuut still.
- Getting a Masters in Data Science to be completed next May.
- My current manager, who just got promoted, was very supportive when I mentioned I was casually looking for a new job during my annual review last month.
- New position is under a different branch of the company, which I don't have a lot of connections with.
- Company benefits are really good - 25 days of PTO, 50% 401K match up to 10% of my salary, said "everyone can stop working at 1 PM today for Employee Appreciation Day." Those wouldn't change with a different position, but would make finding another company tougher.

Any advice on how I should start laying some foundation to get a better job and salary?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Lockback posted:

If you are moving from one role to another that has the same pay band typically there is no raise, this is usually an HR thing to avoid people jumping around the same levels to goose their salary.

If it's not in the same pay band, you should get a raise but every time this has happened to me or to my people there was no negotiation, just a "Here's your new offer". It was up to the grace and goodwill of the managers. Your experience may be different.

If its not different, my advice would be:

1. Try to get into this new role at a higher level than your current. Talk to the manager now. If the role isn't out yet you might be able to get it at a senior level.

2. I'd straight up tell that manager you'd be willing to move but are looking for a salary jump of (whatever). They may be able to grease the skids.

3. If you trust your manager, talk to them about it. If one of my people came to me with this I could do a bunch to get them a raise. If you don't trust your manager they might put up roadblocks to not lose you, so this one is your call.

4. Someone with experience and a MS in Data Science should probably make a lot more than 90k really easily even with those benefits (which, btw, are good but not necessarily amazing).

Healthcare is not a great industry.

The new gig might be the same job classification (roughly meaning the scope of responsibilities would be the same) but the pay range might be different. I think the next step is bringing this up to my current manager and seeing what kind of strings she can pull. Maybe it's just acting as a great reference, but if in a few weeks I find out I got another 3% increase it'll be a great way of saying "So how does this company handle raises when job switching internally?"

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Unrelated to the thread, but how tough is the coursework on this? I keep seeing jobs asking for it, but a bit concerned it’ll be math and/or programming heavy.

I’ve still got half an MBA hanging out there that I’m not sure whether to bother finishing.

Here's my program. I'm probably a bad person to ask, as I graduated with a math degree and have done some form of programming since I was like 14. There's the intro and capstone, 4 courses that are more writing and communication, and the other 6 being programming-focused. Some of those are working through stats in R. I'd say you should have some background in coding, even if it's just a walkthrough of a Python tutorial and a couple Project Euler problems afterwards. You want to get used to coding a problem, thinking you have the right answer, finding out you don't, and having to figure out where your made a bad assumption. The math has been mostly stats based: standard deviations, normal curves, different distributions. It was challenging enough that you wouldn't want to have to learn that and struggle with coding at the same time.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

A little nervous about the chat but I like my current role so no pressure. I’ve also got a discussion on Monday with an old colleague who reached out to me - I’m not keen on the type of projects his company works on, but good practice to speak to him, I suppose.

Your entire post is an excellent example of why it's great to practice interviewing & job seeking when you don't have to. The way you're thinking about what to tell the recruiters instead of reflexively answering their questions will help you is something that can come naturally with practice, but can get easily overwritten by normal social etiquette.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Then figure out everything that could count to your years of service. They aren't refusing to negotiate, they're just using different rules to do so.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I had a conversation with someone who was interested in consulting as a career. I said travel might be coming back to consulting and mentioned somewhere they might need to travel if they were to join us. That person said “would I need to pay for travel?”

My favorite example of this was a sports reporter (Rodger Sherman, I believe) being sent to cover the Bahamas Bowl, a college bowl game held in the Bahamas on a resort, and being worried he had to cover the trip himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

The big thing is to be specific and concise when asking for more money (or anything.) If you say "Can I have more money please?" that's inviting a no, because it's easier to say no than to check if you can have more money. If you say "I will immediately accept if the salary is $X" then check if that salary works for the company is easier on whoever you're contacting than going to the second choice (who may or may not still want the job) or worse, reopening the job. Saying something like "I need $X because of a reason" is inviting the other party to offer solutions that are not $X but still respond to your reason.

It's basically the opposite of improv. You don't want to create a world of possibilities through yes-and, you want to limit their actions to ones you want while strongly pushing them to your preferred result.