Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Have any of you had to sell a property you currently live in prior to relocating for a new job? Would employers make accommodations if I need time to sell before moving? Or is it advisable to move to the job first, pay rent there using my initial pay (since I have zero savings), and hire a realtor to do the whole selling process while I'm completely absent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hoshi posted:

but on facilitating the sale remotely.

Thanks, also what does this part mean? The company hires me a realtor? Or they just pay me a bigger bonus to hire my own?

More difficult scenario: What if taking the job is contingent on me being able to sell the house? If there are no buyers, I'm stuck staying in the same city after all. That's I assume when it gets really complicated. Anyone heard of that predicament?

I wouldn't even be able to fully move my stuff *out* of the house to the new job until the sale, because I can't commit to packing up everything to a new city until the house is sold. Being away from a house full of my stuff while a realtor tries to work around it to sell is awkward, at the very least. Is it common?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
One dollar. Then claim that you misunderstood the question

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If the company knows what's good for them they'll take someone who knows how to spot negotiation tricks and not take the bait over someone who doesn't, and who will go on to make further dumb maneuvers for the rest of their time as their employee

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Piggybacking on that, I have another company insisting to me that they're one of the special ones where negotiation and counteroffers are literally impossible. This time they're saying it's Hollywood that works this way, rather than the UK.

The only reason I don't find that laughable is that they're claiming it's more about the situation than the industry. In particular, it's a child company that hasn't launched yet and is still allocating its initial budget. No one is on payroll yet. The large company with infinite money simply gave this group a large check, and said use it however you want to form an effects studio.

Could they be right? They're not recruiting me directly, only my best friend who's on their initial team is -- it seems like he has less reason to shill for them.

He asked me flat out what my number was and I refused to say, and told him why. He said that the producer is clueless what a niche researcher like me makes, and will ask for how much I cost and if I don't cooperate, that will be the end of the call. He claims there will be no counteroffer. Moreover the producer will NOT be bothered to look into market rates of my specialty because they've never hired that sort of research scientist before and likely won't again. The large publicly traded parent corporation will not help him figure it out either; they're fully on their own. The quickly-assembled studio industry just works this way, he says.

Do new studio projects really work much more like a bidding process, where everybody states their worth or nothing gets done?

More generally, is the advice of this thread appropriate for a new company, where the person hiring me isn't even on payroll yet?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I know, but I thought I'd ask because
1. They ARE a new company with no one on the payroll, which seems special, and
2. He's my best friend so it's a little jarring to have to play hardball with him. I already did, on that initial phone call, and I got him to gently caress up in a tremendous way that I'll tell you about in a bit.

I do know that #1 is very common in Hollywood; big studio corporations *always* construct individual companies per movie production, to launder their association, so as to deny all their workers any semblance of job security or protections.

But I want to hear some thoughts on if there's ANY universe in which he's right about new projects, where I have to name a number.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ooo, I forgot to specifically use the word "1099" when I asked if it was contractor loophole bullshit. Thank you, I will do that.

The reason I trust him a little bit is because I do think he feels indebted to me a little, and maybe a little pity. He sees that I've been out-of-work for a while and always talk doom about the future, whereas years ago I landed him the job that launched his whole career.

Similarly, he let things slip during the conversation that he *really* shouldn't have if he thought of himself as a recruiter playing hardball.

On the other hand, now I've remembered Hollywood's bullshit industry tactics are something I know well from the doomsday economics thread. I know that even if this "new project, we're still forming our initial team" arrangement is special, it is the norm. Their hands aren't tied because the project is too new, but because big studio corps constantly set things up this way on purpose. That makes me more confident that I'm not just being too inflexible here.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 26, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Now the question becomes, do I want to put up a job in Hollywood if the norm there is "put everyone in a shell company on 1099's"? That will depend.

If it IS an 1099, does the "rule of 1000" apply?

Space Gopher posted:

So, if you divide your target pre-tax W-2 salary by 2,000, you should get an estimate of your W-2 hourly rate. Multiply that by two and you get a reasonable baseline 1099 contracting wage. Or, you can just shortcut it and divide your salary by 1,000 to start with.

The classic rule makes it sound like being in a 1099 means I would ask for TWICE as much than if I wasn't.

Does that only apply when comparing it to part time/W2, or does it when comparing to full time/salary too? If a 1099 job offer says they pay $200k should I act as though it's really only offering $100k? Or is the difference vs. salaries much less extreme?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ah, on the 1099 question he just responded that it's W2. It sounds like a pretty sweet deal then, absent any major hidden catch.

My BANTA isn't great but it exists. One thing that factors in is my concerns about market volatility, and the possibility of such forces wiping out big stupid Hollywood projects. Meanwhile, I have a competing offer from a govt./MIC research job that sounds more immune to the economy, at least on paper. If you ask me personally, it's all volatile right now; the dollar could collapse in several months' time anyway, so my BATNA then would be that all US jobs options are rendered equivalently pointless. Additionally, I can always walk from the US jobs market as a whole. I'm drawing unemployment benefits for now that exceed my costs, and if those fail to extend for Americans in July then I'll be in the same boat as nearly everyone. I'm housing secure for a while since my wife has property in her name. I can move to China with her if things get bad enough here, if they'll accept a PhD worker from overseas.

But this one does sound like a sweet deal.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 27, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'll tell you how he screwed up from his employer's perspective. First, when explaining the project he broke NDA to tell me who the parent corporation was of the studio, which dispelled any doubts that yes, they've got infinite money to spend.

Second, when trying to armwrestle a number out of me, he told me how *his* negotiation went as an example of how mine should go, and in it revealed what number *he* asked for, thus revealing his salary because they immediately accepted. He pointed out that I should be expected to ask for more, since I have a PhD to his BA.

Then, I think I set some kind of record for this thread:

He blinked, and he named a number for me before I ever named mine. As heated up as he got at my stubborn stonewalling, I outlasted his patience. He said how much *he* thinks I should ask for. He named a number that was $100k higher than what I would have asked for on my own.

He said $250k. It makes sense, because his own salary is quite high at $210k as a high-level tech logistics person, and he says that I have a case to ask for more than him due to similar background (he was one of my students) plus my higher degree. I would have been fine with $150k since that's comparable to (or higher than) most openings I've looked at. 150k already sounds like a kingly salary for someone who intends to keep living as if there's 4000 in the bank, who just wants to build some emergency savings.

I also honestly don't know my market rates because this job would have me working completely off from my specialty. He's looking at me anyway because I made a convincing case for why their project doesn't actually need an ML researcher, and would be better off with my specialty instead.
They'd still be hiring me under that ML title that none of us know or care to find the true market rates of. Well, now I sort of know. Or at least, know he says they don't care what they spend -- and will just put whatever in the budget as long as it doesn't exceed big round numbers like a quarter mil.

Don't put me in that spreadsheet yet, I haven't even interviewed. But god drat, negotiating a salary HARD works. Even if it means stonewalling like a cold motherfucker to your best friend, do it. It hasn't worked yet, but the thought that it could is insane. Imagine the difference this 30 minutes of negotiation could make after years of future employers assuming my worth based on that starting point, and scaling bonuses/promotions as a multiplier of it.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 27, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dik Hz posted:

Bureau of Labor Statistics

Whoa this is awesome, how do I use it? If I want to know how much my research field makes in industry in a certain city

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I recently came up with a sort of manipulative.... trick... to get through interviews with. I tried it on my last one. To my surprise it landed me a research lab job that I knew I was under-qualified for by objective measures.

As thanks for this thread's advice, I typed it up for your amusement. It covers both the interview and the salary negotiation, since most of us do both.

quote:

Con your way through an interview (even technical):
  • Step 1: Before the interview conversation gets deep into questions, insist on doing introductions. Briefly prattle off some (pre-scripted) narrative about why you're a good fit. Whatever it is you'd like for them to buy into. Sounding professional here is more important than details. It will come into play later.

• Step 2: Let them do their questions. Answer the ones that you know you can answer well. Play off the ones that you can't... ah, you see, my skillset just has a slightly different emphasis, or I've been out of the mindset for a couple months.... and without spending any time, rapidly move on. Here's the important part: As each question comes, waste interview time on things that are not answering them. Stall by asking THEM a question in between each question, just for getting to know each other better. Normally these go at the end of an interview, but pepper them between as if you just thought of them--they'll likely be polite enough to answer. In reality, you have a never-ending pre-made list of them. Make sure they're good questions about their workplace that they would love to say a whole lot of words about. Most people will beam about what it is they do on the job. Keep them talking instead of you.

• Step 3: Now, you've wasted most of the time allocated for the interview. Time for the payoff. Ask one final question. As the conversation winds down, they'll usually ask if you have one. In my case, the lead interviewer was even "glad" that I had already peppered many of my questions throughout, since we were now short on time!

Your parting question to them is this: "Are there any hesitations about hiring me that remain? I can address them while we're all here". Of course, the problem is, insufficient information has been exchanged so far. Either they'll tell you some flaw in the narrative you gave early on (that you can fix next time), or something better will happen. Because actually, this question takes them way off guard--just a moment ago they were planning on not having to face you personally while making these judgements! If shyness wins, they'll either answer no (so you must be a good match), or better yet, you're a good match and here's why you must be--reciting back your own narrative about why you're a good fit (hardly much else substantial has been said so far to draw from!). The magic of this trick is that everyone on the call (or in the room) who is interviewing you now hears everyone else saying or implying out loud that you're a good match, as though it's confirmed truth, because there wasn't time for any evidence to the contrary. They hear it from their own respected peers. I didn't even know that there would be this social dynamic to it, until it already was underway to my astonishment. Once they exit the interview (or hang up) they get a while to individually e-mail their decisions back to the leader... but by then all they'll remember is hearing from all of their peers, who they trust more than they'd trust some stranger's word anyway, that you're a good match for the position. Qualified or not, you're in.

quote:

Con your way through negotiations:

Of course the rule of thumb is to never give your number first, no matter how hard they press, but how does one decline politely in practice? Well, think of it this way: It's simply never time YET to give them a number.

• You always have a fair argument to delay blunt questions about your salary if you still don't yet have an offer in hand. Ask them to finish interviewing you. If they don't know if they want you yet because they haven't finished interviewing, how can they possibly guess how much you're worth to them? How much revenue you'd bring to the company per year? If they'd rather force you to say a number before even interviewing to find out how good of a match you are, then they're clowns and you should move on, as there are plenty of non-clowns hiring.

• Even once you have an offer in hand, you can keep stalling without giving your own number. There's always a reason... maybe you haven't yet checked into your market value in that city yet. Or later, maybe you'd need all the details of their compensation package in front of you first for a fair comparison to the salary part of it.

• Stall and stonewall through their most indignant insistence that you're doing it wrong for that industry. Or just politely act shy and indecisive, like it's your personality. Frustrate them with your stubbornness if you have to--because at this point you DO have an offer in hand, they DID (through expending a lot of energy) find out that you're a candidate they'd like to move forward with, and now they don't want to blow it up over something petty. Eventually they'll relent and name a number.

In one case for me it was pretty extreme, 100k higher than I would have said, because I did not know the particular industry yet nor how wasteful it tends to be with funds, and they didn't know my market value either because I was applying for a specialty they don't usually hire for.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 23, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just be subtle about it! At minimum, allocate less time to the interview questions they'd remember that you struggled on, and more time on the parts where you sell yourself. Do use that final question; it came straight from this thread it worked.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Just be subtle about it! At minimum, allocate less time to the interview questions they'd remember that you struggled on, and more time on the parts where you sell yourself.

In other words, I didn't go into the interview planning to do any of that; it just sort of happened on its own as the conversation took its natural course. It was only afterwards where I tried to reconstruct what the hell just transpired.... what interaction it was that caused my interviewers to unexpectedly start singing my praises at the end of the call. At the time I was just slightly aware that I was nailing an interview but I had no grasp on why at first. Whether I captured what happened well or not, it worked, and the next week they had begun hiring paperwork.

E: For me it wasn't a forceful or aggressive thing. The same goes for that final question. Two people said it worked for them ITT, and I just liked it as a question -- not as a tactic, but as a genuine opportunity to tie up loose ends about the interview.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Folks, you're in a dysfunctional jobs market that stopped hiring for productive work, and that was last year, before the deadly pandemic caused 40 million new unemployment applications. If you're not conning, you're getting conned, and the job you're interviewing for is likely to be gone in a matter of months anyway. Grab up what you can before it all closes up. The snake pit is all that's left. The economy is inescapable.

spwrozek posted:

Honestly by that part though I know if you are good or a dummy. I am not sure how anything from the OP would "work".

Oh yeah, trying that would never make up for being a dummy. You still have to check the basic boxes needed for "a job", just not necessarily "that job". Even a dummy will have to be smart enough to manage a conversation about the industry at all, and smart enough to follow those instructions in the first place without overplaying them, or else like others said you'll come off as a con.

Lockback posted:

For the negotiation part, are you saying when you get an offer to stall and wait and not respond? That is not good advice.

No no no--only to stall and deflect it when it comes to naming your number. Always stop short of saying one. There's plenty of other things to keep talking with them about, lol

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 24, 2020