Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
A blorg governor named Catalina Lopez... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

nothing to seehere posted:

Do basically all the devs want to host these streams and you all fight over it then?
I think the cage matches are an upper management thing only.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

One thing I really appreciate about Stellaris is its sense of scale -- it's abstracted enough to be good for gameplay purposes, but solar systems don't just look like spatters of identically-sized planets in simple orbits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I enjoy the ridiculous human names these poopshrooms have.

Orv
May 4, 2011
These names are perfect. :allears:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

LordMune posted:

I think the cage matches are an upper management thing only.

Yeah we lowly peons have mud wrestling.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I didn't enjoy the previous stream with the time-limit and the dude not knowing anything, but this is exactly what I've been craving. Someone who knows the game playing from the start while explaining poo poo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo how did I not hear about this? it sounds like it's going to solve my problems with space 4x games (micro management, diplomacy being busted, overly complex research systems) and add cool features like randomizing aliens so the actually look alien.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Johanna von Falkenstein :allears:

Edit: Blorg powered armor

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

nothing to seehere posted:

Do basically all the devs want to host these streams and you all fight over it then?

Nah, mostly they are avoided, you gotta have the right combination of enthusiasm and keenness for public speaking.

Lprsti99 posted:

20 AI civs by default, looks like up to 40 :aaaaa: Gonna own.

Tops out at 44 as far as I know.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there anything to prevent save-scumming for anomalies?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Darkrenown posted:

Tops out at 44 as far as I know.

And Henrik said in the Quill stream yesterday that they were considering increasing it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Having that many civs could actually make forming a federation actually matter instead of being a win more option.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there anything to prevent save-scumming for anomalies?

Ironman ftw

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
That map :stare:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Johan, did you guys make a Distant Worlds that doesn't require a college course to play? Cause take my money and all that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Holy crap Stellaris looks good.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Johan, did you guys make a Distant Worlds that doesn't require a college course to play and also doesn't look like rear end? Cause take my money and all that.

Not an emptyquote

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Distant Worlds really isn't very complicated or hard, it's just got the shittiest UI known to mankind.

Also this game really doesn't look a whole lot like DW at all, other than it being a Real Time Space 4x. Basically all the core mechanics look completely different.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Distant Worlds really isn't very complicated or hard, it's just got the shittiest UI known to mankind.

Also this game really doesn't look a whole lot like DW at all, other than it being a Real Time Space 4x. Basically all the core mechanics look completely different.

It's hard to tell from a half hour of stream, but a large part of what I like in DW is the way it captures just being a space empire amongst many others, something 4Xs often don't do. Seems to be an intent here.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Huh, so that one planet is basically giving the Blorg a 40% science increase across the board. That's a pretty good early boost.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That was a nice stream, game looks good. Very excited to see past the first early exploration phase we've seen over and over though. Get some juicy mid game action!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I didn't watch much of the stream, but the population tiles thing they showed at the end wasn't very clear. Do you have to clean out all of the slums in order to have your population increase, or will they keep increasing in a single tile, and clearing multiple tiles just gives you more long term resources?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
1 pop per tile, so yeah, pops can only grow if there's a spare tile for them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SeaTard posted:

I didn't watch much of the stream, but the population tiles thing they showed at the end wasn't very clear. Do you have to clean out all of the slums in order to have your population increase, or will they keep increasing in a single tile, and clearing multiple tiles just gives you more long term resources?

I'm pretty sure every pop needs an open tile to exist, once you run out of room your population growth probably stops or you even get some sort of crowding penalty. I imagine pops simply can't go on blocked tiles. It's not always slums (which really to me sounds like a place people would live) but sometimes hostile environments or dangerous predators but it all boils down to "you can't use this tile until you've paid the troll toll"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

1 pop per tile, so yeah, pops can only grow if there's a spare tile for them.

Do all planets have the same number of tiles, or are there some that have just one or two rows?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Any chance of a demo, Paradox devs? I'm going to pre-order literally the first chance I get, I'm super excited for Stellaris, but I wouldn't mind the chance to poke around in the files so I can see about adding custom species portraits, depending on how hard they are. Also, name files for people and such.

Demiurge4 posted:

Do all planets have the same number of tiles, or are there some that have just one or two rows?

They said it varies, up to 25, according to Wiz.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Demiurge4 posted:

Planet size determines the number of tiles. Wiz in the stream said the max is a 5x5 tile grid.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
I just noticed that each ruler of a despotic empire can build their own oversized military station. Space castle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Demiurge4 posted:

It was mentioned in the stream that planets can have up to as many tiles as fit in the box, and fewer. I imagine it just scales with planet size/habitability. I wonder if the smallest planet is 1x1, but I bet it only goes as low as 4x4 or so.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Any chance of a demo, Paradox devs? I'm going to pre-order literally the first chance I get, I'm super excited for Stellaris, but I wouldn't mind the chance to poke around in the files so I can see about adding custom species portraits, depending on how hard they are. Also, name files for people and such.

I think we're all frothing at the mouth. I'm moving back to Iceland in two weeks and the wait is gonna kill me.

Re: Planet sizes. Sounds good, I just hadn't noticed any difference on planets I've seen but I suppose it's all been homeworlds so far.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Orv posted:

It's hard to tell from a half hour of stream, but a large part of what I like in DW is the way it captures just being a space empire amongst many others, something 4Xs often don't do. Seems to be an intent here.

Yeah I agree with that part, there's something that's kind of thematically similar about the style of the two. The diplomacy in DW feels a bit Paradoxy, having clear + and - factors for opinion from a variety of sources, having stuff like protectorates, rebel factions that break off and form new empires, different government types that lead to different playstyles and interactions with other races, and so on. There's little bits and pieces mechanically that seem familiar between the two as well, like the racial groupings, characters with personality and skill traits, the end-game threats (to a lesser extent in DW).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

EU4 had a demo, so I'm hoping this will too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Definitely interested in seeing some midgame 'traditional Paradox' play, now that we've seen a couple streams of the very start of the game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Releasing a couple sample versions of all the files/art for a race would be pretty cool and people would get crackin' on that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

comaerror posted:

I just noticed that each ruler of a despotic empire can build their own oversized military station. Space castle.

I believe they mentioned on one of the previous streams that the various despotisms all get to build one personal thingie per ruler, appropriate to the type of despotism. The religious dictators can build themselves an extravagant tomb complex, the military despots go full Luseferous and get to build one extremely large flagship, etc.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

comaerror posted:

Did they say anything about placing superweapons on those stations? :getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lawman 0 posted:

Did they say anything about placing superweapons on those stations? :getin:

I believe the first DLC will be about superweapons of various sorts.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't enjoy the previous stream with the time-limit and the dude not knowing anything, but this is exactly what I've been craving. Someone who knows the game playing from the start while explaining poo poo.

Yeah Paradox more than most developers really gets how to use streaming to build hype and relay gameplay info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Is there any information about how many ship classes there are? I'm looking through the DDs and have found Corvette, Cruiser, Destroyer, Battleship and Colony/Construction/Science ships. Is there a definitive list anywhere?

• Locked thread