Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SMT4 was really easy once you got to Tokyo, apart from the tougher bosses, where if you tried to use their weaknesses against them they spammed a party-wide Almighty attack until you died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mach2 posted:

this, except if you count Persona 3 which was probably the easiest JRPG-for-babies I've ever played

The final boss was really drat long

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SMT4 was really easy once you got to Tokyo, apart from the tougher bosses, where if you tried to use their weaknesses against them they spammed a party-wide Almighty attack until you died

That was if you had nulls and repels that wouldn't let them hit you iirc.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

The final boss was really drat long

Unless you already had Armageddon by that point and you wiped out the longest phase right away

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that was if you did all nulls/repels on your party and isn't until the very end and also on thhe fiends and why would \you want to fight 1/255 chance encounter bosses anywayz

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Evil Eagle posted:

That was if you had nulls and repels that wouldn't let them hit you iirc.

This is my least favorite thing about Megaten design.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

that was if you did all nulls/repels on your party and isn't until the very end and also on thhe fiends and why would \you want to fight 1/255 chance encounter bosses anywayz
I didn't bother with the fiends but it was on Beelzebub as well which was lame

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont think its lame, i think it pwns. its on a ton of bosses too, basicalyl all of the sidquest and last dungeon bosses.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It'd be better if they just cast a spell to dispel those things for free at the beginning of the battle instead.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i dont like that. its not like you cant still beat the bosses when theyre in anti cheese mode, youll just have a hard time doing it. and so u should for trying to cheese the game to begin with

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually wanted to fight them and after trying to spawn a single fiend for 6 hours said gently caress it and never did, what a dumb mechanic

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont like that. its not like you cant still beat the bosses when theyre in anti cheese mode, youll just have a hard time doing it. and so u should for trying to cheese the game to begin with
i think it could work well but I bumped into it by accident. I had to take out one of my regular dudes just because he happened to have repel gun. i dunno, it felt a bit... backwards?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 3, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i think it could work well but I bumped into it by accident. I had to take out one of my regular dudes just because he happened to have repel gun. i dunno, it felt a bit... backwards?

i think you can have 1 repel per demon. actually i think the cheese pwn only happens if all of yoru demons repel one or more of the bosses attacks. im absolutely certain i had demons with null gun and null , mind ? (i think thats the status it uses) vs beezlebub.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
is killing lilith or working for lilith the more satisfying option, from like a gameplay and story standpoint. i'm trying to go for neutral

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
smt 2 is really good, but sometimes your objective can be kind of vague

that's part of the charm

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Constr posted:

is killing lilith or working for lilith the more satisfying option, from like a gameplay and story standpoint. i'm trying to go for neutral

probably killing her, but i think working with her unlocks her for fusion?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

IMO you shouldn't "try" for an ending on your first run of an SMT game -- just make choices as they come natural to you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Constr posted:

i don't remember, andn also there's like a margin of 16 points for you to get neutral on the invisible alignment scale that goes from -100 to +100 so if you aren't using a walkthru good luck hehe

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i ended up getting neutral on accident which was cool, because i got the cannon ending and dont' ahve to replay it. whew.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

i ended up getting neutral on accident which was cool, because i got the cannon ending and dont' ahve to replay it. whew.

Same, but also I never did any of the DLC which apparently is more post-ending stuff too

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

IMO you shouldn't "try" for an ending on your first run of an SMT game -- just make choices as they come natural to you
tbh that's what i've been doing from the start, i just feel scared about replaying the game again and again when i've already spent 36 hours on it and i've just gotten to shibuya. it would get old

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

this, and same for all choicegames

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
i told the suicidal woman that i was a human because telling her that her life was a waste and that she should kill herself seemed mean. i thought she wouldn't kill herself, but she did anyway. i'm probably going to spare all the gladiator demon hunters. law route here i come

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Constr posted:

i told the suicidal woman that i was a human because telling her that her life was a waste and that she should kill herself seemed mean. i thought she wouldn't kill herself, but she did anyway. i'm probably going to spare all the gladiator demon hunters. law route here i come

i liked talking suicidal people out of suicide by suiciding in front of them, coming back, and telling them it sucked in planescape

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/14/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-coming-north-america-summer-2016/

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my god!!! Oh my loving god!!!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

:D

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

2016 is the year of the jrpg drat

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Dis gonna be good.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
drat, very nice

gonna come out before persona 5

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

YES

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The best news

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

heck yea

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I killed all 4 dudes in the hunter tournament prelims, and I felt the power of chaos flow through me

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've actually thought a little bit about what the imps said and I've decided that I'm going to start smtiv over. This whole time I was min-maxing to get the neutral ending. It would probably be a lot more fun if I answered them honestly without thinking about alignment. With that said, fu all still

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Constr posted:

I've actually thought a little bit about what the imps said and I've decided that I'm going to start smtiv over. This whole time I was min-maxing to get the neutral ending. It would probably be a lot more fun if I answered them honestly without thinking about alignment. With that said, fu all still

Congratulations on deciding to play SMT the correct way. Please enjoy.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

Congratulations on deciding to play SMT the correct way. Please enjoy.

Thank you. I am sorry about telling you all to gently caress yourselves but I did not like getting called the f word and being told I should be shot. Even though the latter was a joke.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Constr posted:

Thank you. I am sorry about telling you all to gently caress yourselves but I did not like getting called the f word and being told I should be shot. Even though the latter was a joke.

It wasn't a joke, but good job deciding to play the game correctly. Go for neutral on second go

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What an incredible bitch the OP is, and yet he still goes unpunished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

What an incredible bitch the OP is, and yet he still goes unpunished.

Wiki gaming FTL.

• Locked thread