Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:frogsiren:It's the 2016 F1 Season!:frogsiren:
I have put in as much effort into this OP as I deemed necessary - consequently it is a bit shorter than in previous years.
I decided not to pick the "Racing" tag in case it caused false hope

Last year was the second year in a row of Mercedes domination. This year will hopefully be a bit closer as Mercedes run into diminishing returns on car development and most teams will have one eye on the new rules coming next year.

:frogsiren:Rule Changes:frogsiren:
The only rule changes are some overcomplicated fiddles to the tyre rules which will be explained ad nauseum by your local F1 broadcaster, increased restrictions on in-race advice from the pit, and some overcomplicated fiddles to the qualifying rules which will be explained ad nauseum by your local F1 broadcaster.

:frogsiren:Calendar:frogsiren:
Just use this link
(you can also use it to see other motorsport calendars)

:frogsiren:The slightly more effort bit:frogsiren:

2015: 1st 703pts
Stated Aim: Win both World Championships... again
Actual Aim: Try to get Rosberg a World Championship

2015: 1st 381pts
Like if: You are a glory hunter
Hate if: You are racist/anti-British

2015: 2nd 322pts
Like if: You find him sexually attractive
Hate if: You find him sexually attractive

2015: 2nd 428pts
Stated Aim: Win a World Championship
Actual Aim: Finish a slightly closer second behind Mercedes

2015: 3rd 278pts
Like if: You are literally Hitler
Hate if: You are halfway sane

2015: 4th 150pts
Like if: You like tedious old catchphrases
Hate if: You find out how much he gets paid to be poo poo

2015: 3rd 257pts
Stated Aim: Hold onto third place
Actual Aim: Work out how to do corners

2015: 6th 121pts
Like if: You are a paralympics enthusiast
Hate if: You have something against Brazil

2015: 5th 136pts
Like if: You like Finns who aren't pricks
Hate if: You are Kimi fan #1

2015: 4th 187pts
Stated Aim: Challenge for race wins
Actual Aim: Find someone to blame for everything

2015: 8th 92pts
Like if: You are a toothpaste manufacturer
Hate if: You are Brainwrong

2015: 7th 95pts
Like if: Putin tells you to
Hate if: Putin tells you to

2015: 5th 136pts
Stated Aim: Compete with Williams and Red Bull
Actual Aim: Have a halfway solvent owner

2015: 10th 58pts
Like if: You are a fan of endurance racing
Hate if: You think he should've done something by now

2015: 9th 78pts
Like if: You work for Pirelli's PR department
Hate if: You expect anything from him in the first half of the season

2015: 6th 78pts (as Lotus)
Stated Aim: Rebuild after Lotus ran out of money
Actual Aim: Hope people forget how bad their engine is

2015: Twiddled thumbs at McLaren
Like if: Danes are your favourite Norsemen
Hate if: You are Ron Dennis

2015: Smashed GP2 at the 4th attempt
Like if: You like Brits with only one kidney
Hate if: You can't get past how silly his name is

2015: 7th 67pts
Stated Aim: Solid points finishes
Actual Aim: Train Verstappen to replace Kvyat

2015: 12th 49pts
Like if: You are a frog and toad enthusiast
Hate if: You can't be dealing with these whippersnappers

2015: 15th 18pts
Like if: You liked his dad
Hate if: You think F1 has enough Red Bull drivers

2015: 8th 36pts
Stated Aim: Be better than last year
Actual Aim: Find enough money to pay staff

2015: 18th 9pts
Like if: Swedes are your favourite Norsemen
Hate if: You are a poor and want to get into F1

2015: 13th 27pts
Like if: You mistook him for Massa
Hate if: You have to write about him for the OP

2015: 9th 27pts
Stated Aim: Podium finishes by end of year... somehow
Actual Aim: Be less embarassing than "drivers openly mock car"

2015: 17th 11pts
Like if: You are into down on their luck Spaniards
Hate if: You are afraid of zombies

2015: 16th 16pts
Like if: You are into down on their luck Brits
Hate if: You inexplicably still think he's poo poo

2015: 10th 0pts (as Marussia)
Stated Aim: Be closer to the field than last year
Actual Aim: Get Wehrlein F1 experience

2015: Won DTM
Like if: You are employed by Mercedes
Hate if: You are Nico Rosberg and you don't beat Lewis

2015: 4th in GP2
Like if: You like his money
Hate if: You loathe Indonesians for some reason

2015: Did not exist
Stated Aim: Points and turn a profit :lol:
Actual Aim: Advertise Haas products

2015: 11th 51pts (at Lotus)
Like if: USA USA USA USA
Hate if: You realise he is Swiss French Swiss

2015: Did absolutely nothing
Like if: USA USA USA USA
Hate if: You realise he is Mexican (and poo poo)

:frogsiren:Team Changes::frogsiren:
The Enstone Team Lotus are now back to being Renault with Renault engines instead of Mercedes

Manor Marussia have been allowed to drop the Marussia bit and are now just Manor. They have Mercedes power now instead of Ferrari

Red Bull managed to royally piss Renault off, but couldn't find another engine supplier and had to come crawling back. They will call their engine Tag Heuer for reasons

Toro Rosso have ended up with last year's Ferrari engine because Renault weren't going to help out Red Bull too much

Lastly, we welcome Haas! Hi Haas. Team Haas is being run from 4 different locations with nearly everything subcontracted out, which is a thing. They have Ferrari power

:frogsiren:Driver Changes:frogsiren:
Pastor Maldonado was dumped by Renault because his sponsors still haven't paid for last year. He's replaced by Kevin Magnussen, who was sacked as McLaren reserve driver by text on his birthday

Romain Grosjean has moved from Renault to the new Haas team. He is replaced at Renault by 2015 GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer

The other Haas driver is Esteban Gutierrez, he was so poo poo in 2014 he ended up in the Luca Badoer role at Ferrari

Finally, Manor dumped all their drivers and signed Pascal Wehrlein, a Mercedes backed hopeful, and Rio Haryanto who has mad Indonesian bank

:frogsiren:Other stuff people will ask me to add:frogsiren:

IRC: irc.synirc.net/F1

2015-16 Off-season | 2015 Part 1|2015 Part 2 | 2014-15 Off-season | 2014 season | 2013-14 Off-season | 2013 season | 2012-13 Off season | 2012 season
2011-12 Off-season | 2011 Part 1|2011 Breakaway (stop talking about phones!)|2011 Part 2 | 2010-2011 Off Season | 2010 Part 1|2010 Part 2 | 2009-2010 Off season
2009 News and Views|2009 Part 1|2009 Breakaway Thread|2009 Part 2 | 2008-2009 Off season | 2008 Part 1|2008 Part 2|2008 Part 3 | 2007-2008 Off season
2007 Part 1|2007 Part 2|2007 Part 3 | 2006 Part 1|2006 Part 2|2006 Part 3|2006 Part 4|2006 Part 5 | 2005 Whole Season | 2005 Part WTF | 2004 Whole Season

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

Rosberg is moonlighting at Toro Rosso now?

2 spergs spotted this in under a minute. Good work, already fixed.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I feel like "competitive" needs to be defined for that prediction to be anywhere near bold

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

keevo posted:

Fighting Sauber or whoever is slightly faster than Manor.

Sauber is a good benchmark, for sure

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Diet Crack posted:

I like how you omitted Vettel's stars

:lol: I'm going to pretend it was intentional

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

There is an arrest warrant out against Mallya for non-appearance in court in India to face his creditors, so Force India may not be long for this world.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Court-issues-non-bailable-warrant-against-Vijay-Mallya/articleshow/51382023.cms

As I understand it he essentially took out a mortgage on the team with Diageo a few weeks back, so if he's declared insolvent they'd 'repossess' the team

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Australia usually throws a curveball, and it is very poor at demonstrating relative pace anywhere else. I didn't see FP2, but weren't both sessions affected by rain as well?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They're running Red Bull levels of extreme rake now Prodromou's in charge, so they're going to bottom out a lot.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

The Daily Mail in particular is out for blood after the taking a selfie while riding a motorbike thing.

The Daily Mail in disliking non-whites shocker

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Trust The Worst Thread to totally melt down after one qualifying session. They'll modify it to something less stupid, and that will be the end of it. We haven't even had one race yet ffs, maybe put your F1 obituaries on hold for a few weeks?

If they don't want to go back to the previous quali system I propose:

A single hour long session version of the shitshow we had this morning, which would solve a lot of the problems.

22 minutes to set a decent lap, then eliminations every 2 minutes until there's two cars left to battle it out. The eliminations are slightly less rapid fire so there's a bit more time to do an outlap if you're in the danger zone.

Teams now have multiple sets of tyres to use over the whole hour so the quick teams don't use theirs up early and can still compete for pole at the end. Also you can start the race on whatever the hell tyres you like.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd also like to see it as I instantly fell asleep as soon as Mercedes had 1 second over the ferrari..

Vettel's quali time was only .3s slower than Hamilton's and bacony indications from practice are they have better race pace than quali pace. But yeah, it's all over after one quali session and Merc cruise to another two titles...

We're also not talking about the real story in quali: namely Toro Rosso beating Red Bull and only being .5s slower than Ferrari with last year's engine.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ukle posted:

Vettels Q3 time is almost .9s slower than Hamilton's

I brained bad and read Nico's time. Either way, Ferrari are expected to have better race pace than their quali pace.

The driving force behind the changes isn't TV viewership, it's track promoters failing to sell tickets because the prices are insane.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

Why was the track empty for four minutes? Why didn't Nico go out and try to get pole?

They ran out of fresh tyres/ enough time to put new sets on for another run

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pik_d posted:

Was that a result of the qualifying format, or allowing drivers/teams to make their own choices for how many tires of each compound they bring?

More the former than the latter.

Breakdown of the problems with this morning's quali:
  • Some teams got caught flat footed having seemingly not read the rules and thinking they would get to set a lap they were currently on when the timer ran out, so you had multiple cars getting eliminated halfway into their fast lap.
  • 90s eliminations doesn't give enough time to see you are in danger, change tyres/setup, do an outlap and set a time, even on a relatively short lap like in Melbourne.
Both of these would be fixable by the teams just getting used to the new format and working out when they are in the danger zone
  • At the end of Q2 teams seemed to prefer to set a time and save tyres rather than have to use another set of tyres to get to Q3, where they'd have to use at least one more set of tyres to get any benefit for getting through.
  • Halfway through Q3 after one run from everyone, it was pretty clear that nobody was going to challenge Mercedes/Ferrari very much so they all gave up and settled for being eliminated sat in the pits
  • At the end of Q3 Ferrari preferred to save a set of tyres instead of going out to try to get closer to Mercedes, who did one more run with both cars on track, and settled for the 1-2 they had 5 minutes before the session ended.

These can only be fixed by having more tyres available

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
We'll end up with a Saturday sprint race to determine the grid for Sunday I reckon

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

daslog posted:

Line them up in reverse order of championship points. 5 laps, how they finish determines the starting grid.

See how easy that was Bernie?

Make it 100km, i.e. a third of race distance ~30 mins and have DRS available on lap 2

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

El Hefe posted:

That looks better and it'd help with the kind of debris that left Massa even more retarded

They already fixed what hurt Massa by strengthening the visor.

Red Bull's concept looks a bit better, but it's easy to mock up something that looks nice. Let's see how it looks when they've actually run it through the tests the FIA needs it to pass.

E: also what happens when it's wet/dirty, do they install wipers?

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 19, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The only reason it is split into 3 sessions is because the previous attempt to make qualifying interesting had three sessions.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Terminus Est posted:

In my manic late night googling looking for trap speeds in Melbourne, I failed. Anyone got a handy link for who the slowest fuckers are?

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2016/event-timing-information-5

Go hog wild

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
:lol: Haas did well, but you're kidding yourself if you think they'd've got the result without the free pit stop during the red flag. Grosjean was pretty level headed with it even with his obvious high from the result. It's a good morale boost for the team to score points so early but they lucked into them a little bit and shouldn't expect to finish 6th without similar luck.

Good race and nice to see not only that the whole field seems closer together but that three tyre compounds actually did a thing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Alain Post posted:

They had race pace to match the cars behind him, and were only a few tenths behind the Williams. Remember that they got hosed in qualifying, too.

Add 20s for a pit stop and Grosjean's down in 11-13th It's still a very impressive result and the midfield is clearly very competitive which is a good thing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

It's a mean miserly person who is begrudging Haas these points.

I don't begrudge them at all, it's great!

E: Oops, I meant "loving Forumla One's just a lovely procession with Mercedes winning everything, I'd rather watch a 12 hour endurance race"

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 20, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
And while I'm at it, gently caress safety devices, Alonso should've just manned up and survived that crash by himself

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Perez, Button and Wehrlein all got hosed by the red flag. It happens.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Your best place for the really spergy data is actually the FIA website. It's buried behind a few links but you can get all the press releases, timing data, even trackside press department phone numbers if you want them

http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2016/event-timing-information-5

E: but keep it on the down-low so they don't hide it away

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think the alarm for Lewis was to do with the safety car coming in, possibly a reminder to turn the safety car lap delta off. The engineer is right that he's not allowed to say how to do that, but I think he was also deliberately making a point about the silliness of it by phrasing it that way.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Payndz posted:

Halo/canopy/nothing, V6/8/10/12, who gives a crap? F1 is about a bunch of middle-aged autists, con artists and failed drivers stabbing each other in the back while an ancient little goblin watches and laughs, and anything else that happens is a mere sideshow.

Where were you when I needed a thread title?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

George Zimmer posted:

I might be extremely stupid, but with the seemingly chaotic security situation in Europe, do you guys think any European rounds would be affected in some way? I'm giving a large window for what "affected" could mean.

The first European round is 2 months away. I'd imagine there will be higher security, but I can't see any races being cancelled. F1 isn't important enough to be a target, honestly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They've had clutch control for the start on paddles for a few seasons now. What's different this season is they are restricted to it being a single paddle. Previously they had a sort of staged clutch. Next season the clutch will be a standardised FIA part.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/03/23/2016-australian-grand-prix-team-radio-transcript-2/

Here's the released radio transcripts from the race. Max is a total baby.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bernie considers F1 races to be a business networking opportunity with some pesky motorsport attached. Any old tracks are told their 'facilities aren't up to standards' and to spend money to improve them or he'll take their race elsewhere. Also you're competing with oil barons with bottomless pockets who will pay absurd amounts for the privilege of hosting the privileged, so that's the new market rate for hosting a race, pay up or get lost.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
F1 isn't going to collapse, it's just going to keep sliding towards just being a money-making business networking opportunity and away from being affordable entertainment for the minority that is long term fans of the sport. It would just be nice if people who have the power to affect change in the way decisions are made would be a little less greedy, but it seems that's unlikely.

Bernie saved the sport back in the day, but he's old enough to not give a poo poo about short term losses rebuilding the sport sensibly for the next generation in order to increase the fanbase and make more money down the line because he'll probably be dead by then.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I sure am looking forward to the New York/New Jersey GP that is definitely happening

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MattD1zzl3 posted:

FTFY and Agreed :smith: I'd sure as hell rather go to new jersey than texas.

Just pointing out that Bernie has 'agreed a contract' for a race to boot a European race off the calendar before. I'm going to go ahead and not believe this one until I see it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Magny-Cours is also a loving terrible track

E: I think it was Spa he was threatening to boot last time Bernie 'signed a contract' for a second US race

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 28, 2016

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Pretty much, except it seems the teams would rather have totally broken quali than 'compromise' and have any of Bernie's ideas this time.

Reminder that an actual Bernie tactic when losing an argument is to 'accidentally' spill a drink as a distraction.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

learnincurve posted:

Have you noticed that whenever he is being interviewed by Sky one of the table legs goes part way through?

No, because I watch neither Bernie interviews nor Sky interviews

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yeah, as wicka said halfway up this page it's no drinking land so they've censored Chandon. Williams seem to be ok running Martini and Force India still have Kingfisher beer so I dunno what's up really.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

1500quidporsche posted:

Missed wicka's post.

Doesn't one of the princes there own a fairly big chunk of McLaren? That would explain why others are doing it but McLaren aren't.

Mansour Ojjeh isn't a prince and he's French/Saudi/Luxembourgish (for tax purposes). He does own 25% of McLaren though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Just looked up the company registry and Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company has 50% Ron has 25% and Ojjeh has 25%

• Locked thread