Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

What's this now?
This is Disney's Castle of illusion: Starring MIckey Mouse. An HD remake of the old Sega Genesis game of the same name.

So it's like the Ducktales remake then?
Not at all. This game is fully in 3D but the majority of the game is done in 2.5D. I liken it a sidescrolling Mario 64 more or less. At least that's the general feel I got from it.

What's the format this time around?
This time around i'm going to refrain from voice commentary and do this with subtitles using Youtube's Closed Caption system.
Reason being I want to try something a little different and see how it works out.
With that said remember to turn on closed captioning when watching otherwise you don't get the commentary track.
E: From Episode 04 and on the subtitles will be directly in the video so you don't have to click an extra button to get the commentary track.

You going for everything this time out?
As far as what to expect from that. Yeah. I'm going to try. Can't say I'll be successful but at least we might be able to get cool costumes and such.

Spoiler Policy
There is none. This game is essentially the same as it's Genesis counterpart with a few more bells and whistles and a few extras thrown in for good measure.
Heck I'd welcome people pointing things out that I may have missed so I can go back and get them.

Videos
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 01 - Castle Enterance
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 02 - Secret of the forest
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 03 - Attack of the toys
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 04 - Maze of presents
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 05 - Waterfall Treachery
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 06 - Into the storm
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 07 - Library Cafeteria
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 08 - Library Proper
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 09 - The dungeon
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 10 - Clocktower
Castle Of Illusion: Episode 11 - Finale

Doseku fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we find the secrets of the forest.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 02 - Secret of the forest

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
They've really put a ton of work into animating Mickey in this one. I love the worried look behind him as the door vanishes.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The game is full of neat little details like that.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 03 - Attack of the toys

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Mizrabel's unique as the only Disney villain who's exclusive to video games not counting any of KH villains.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Wow, I always assumed this was a Ducktales-styled remake, but this looks far better. I wasn't a fan of the original Genesis game, but the remake certainly looks like it flows better.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I think you ought to reconsider your subtitling method. This is what it looks like for me:

If you'd like help putting subtitles on the video itself, just shoot me a PM.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FredMSloniker posted:

I think you ought to reconsider your subtitling method. This is what it looks like for me:

If you'd like help putting subtitles on the video itself, just shoot me a PM.

You can always lower the background opacity of the subtitles to 25% in the settings on your end, that's what I do.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 04 - Maze of presents

So after recieving some feedback on how I could improve the experience for you guys I decided to move away from youtubes CC and put the subtitles directly into the video. Should be easier to read and not block as much now.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.
This an amazing game. I'm not one for platformers, but the sheer whimsy and art style of this is just incredible. Really captures classic Disney. Thanks for showing this off!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Doseku posted:

So after recieving some feedback on how I could improve the experience for you guys I decided to move away from youtubes CC and put the subtitles directly into the video. Should be easier to read and not block as much now.

So now you have to retroactively apply the new subtitles to the previous three videos you've posted by this point.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
They kept quite a lot of the sound effects from the old game in this one, but I'm sad that the jack in the box punching sound is gone, that's one sound effect burned into my memory from fighting this boss over and over and over. I don't remember if I ever actually beat it, but I sure as hell tried.

This new version doesn't look like it has quite as brutal a difficulty curve as the old one, but that's probably a good thing. It certainly has a lot of charm, though.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It does add a few more cues though. Like the little music boxes in the optional area that flip the area, those do have a little tune that plays if you listen carefully. The clowns also seem to have a special tune that plays when you are close to them.

Anyhoo today we start our trek into the next area.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 05 - Waterfall Treachery

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we complete the second floor of the castle and find out what our new non statue collectible is.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 06 - Into the storm

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I didn't play Genesis games until really recently what with emulation and such, and I remember Disney games were the most goddamn difficult things I'd ever had the misfortune of crossing.

Thanks for playing it for me, Doseku - now I can appreciate how adorable it is without wanting to eat my controller in frustration!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm surprised that Mickey talked for a bit beyond his stock sound clips in the Storm levels rather than the Narrator describe how Mickey was feeling like in other levels.

I also noticed that the Merpeople look like a cross between Goblimon/Goburimon:

And Rikuo/Aulbath:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

I didn't play Genesis games until really recently what with emulation and such, and I remember Disney games were the most goddamn difficult things I'd ever had the misfortune of crossing.
I never played the Genesis version of Aladdin, but the SNES version was quite easy. That's probably why it's not the one people remember. The Lion King video game can eat all of the dicks, especially the second level with instant death jumping puzzles.

Never played this game, though.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Glad you guys are enjoying the game for this week we venture into the dark pit of despair that is the library.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 07 - Library Cafeteria

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Is it just me or does the sweets world remind anyone else of Sugar Rush? I know the original game had a sweets themed world and came before Wreck-It Ralph but the two locales do share that aesthetic.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 24, 2016

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we follow Shadow Mickey into the second part of the library.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 08 - Library Proper

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The framing for this game is not the greatest, but some of the stages are really cool. They really put a lot of effort into lots of small details.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Coming back to this game to do the LP has given me an appreciation for it that I didn't get on my first playthrough of the game. I do appreciate alot of the care and effort that went into making this that turned it into a kind of HD re-imagining of the original instead of the same game with just a new coat of paint. With that said we are going to hit upon one of my favorite stages.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 09 - The dungeon

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Given that they seemed to have merged the library world and the sweets world into a single world, since I'm pretty sure that those were separate worlds in the original, the Mischievous Shadow may very have been either a Master of Illusion that wasn't given a proper battle like the dragon or a stand-in for a cut boss.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Nah. The library and sweets area were always combined. The way the stages are presented are pretty much how they were in the original with the exception of layout being different and the optional areas being in different spots of the world that they showed up in.
The final two worlds of the game always had two rainbow gems per world.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh, were there different bosses though? Cause I'm pretty sure Mischievous Shadow wasn't in the original.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
In answer to your question there weren't different bosses. The ones you see in this game are the ones from the original. The library and castle levels always had two rainbow gems, one that can be gotten at the end of the first stage and one that can be gotten from the boss. The first of the two rainbow gems for those levels were acquired at the end of the stage that you usually picked up instead of having to go through a door.

Anyhoo. Today we take on the final stage of the game before we reach the end. Today we climb the...

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 10 - Clocktower

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
And so we end our adventure into the castle of illusion.

Castle Of Illusion: Episode 11 - Finale

I hope you enjoyed the playthrough. It was an overall fun experience to play this game again and I appreciate you folks for sticking with me whilst I learned how subtitled commentary works. Hopefully it wasn't too bad.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Well I personally watched every video and enjoyed it, although this game was a bit shorter that the set-up implied.

Also, do you actually get anything for collecting all of the diamonds? I'd imagine if anything it'd be that statue or the armor, but I couldn't really tell just from the video.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This has been a really fun LP, thanks for showing off the game for us!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I do like that, in addition to Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Daisy, and Pluto, we also have Pete, Huey, Dewey, and Louie, Chip and Dale, and finally Scrooge just hanging out in the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Tombot posted:

Well I personally watched every video and enjoyed it, although this game was a bit shorter that the set-up implied.

Also, do you actually get anything for collecting all of the diamonds? I'd imagine if anything it'd be that statue or the armor, but I couldn't really tell just from the video.

The collectibles and what they do are as follows.
Diamonds: Unlock the various hub rooms and concept art that hangs on the walls
Statues: Unlock the various statues that are around the castle that tell you a bit about the various masters of illusion and what they did before they worked for Mizrabel.
Playing cards: Collecting all of these unlocked the magician outfit which was used for about half the game.
Donald's Chili Peppers: Unlocked the explorer costume which was worn for the final fight. Oddly enough this is the only costume with fully modeled shoes. Every other costume seems to have the footwear that molded to Mickeys feet with no soles
Beating the game: unlocked the knight costume. Used very briefly to tie up loose ends such as getting said costume and looking at the huge Mizrabel statue.

As far as I can tell time trials don't actually do anything other than act as a sort of challenge to see if you can beat your own speeds on whatever stage you do it in.

• Locked thread