Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hi all! This forum probably has the highest concentration of political dorks so I'd love to hear what people suggest as far as political cinema. Let me know what's the best and why..I'm having a hard time thinking of any. Is there any film that even comes close to reality, or this recent cycle..? Well thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spin (1995)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's Network.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

spun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrWD1kVi0ME

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herod%27s_Law

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

It's Network.

this is a really good movie

im not a movie buff or anything but there's some movies about a fictionalized version of huey long (based on a pulitzer-winning book of the same name) called all the king's men. the 2006 one i saw and liked ok, turns out it's considered to be awful, shows what i know. there's a 1949 version that won best picture tho

so if you like classic movies, apparently the '49 all the king's men is considered a great example of film noir, so you might want to watch that one

comedy answer: mr smith goes to washington. see the fake version of politics we all learn in grade school civics

not really related but one of my favorite movies ive randomly seen was this poo poo about court intrigue in louis xv's france called ridicule, pronounced frenchly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridicule its witty as gently caress and there is a titty lady

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Mar 18, 2016

Baconomics
Feb 6, 2012

I remember Recount being pretty good

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Game Change is good

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Someone else recommended this elsewhere and I finally watched about it a month ago, IMO it was incredibly boring. I kept expecting something interesting to happen like some politician accidentally flicking out their forked tongue, revealing their true form. Nope, just a bunch of old men dancing around questions on 90's television.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
*clears throat* since trump is hitler, I think you might glean a lot from notable fascist masterpiece pacific rim

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Deep Throat

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Any 4 episodes of the TV show Veep watched in order.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

der untergang

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Bullworth is potentially the pinnacle of political film.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

LogisticEarth posted:

Bullworth is potentially the pinnacle of political film.

I watched that recently and can't decide if it was great or terrible.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

In the Loop is really good, but you should really watch the TV show it's based on, The Thick of It.

Edited because I got the title screwed up.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Idiocracy is more of a documentary at this point except that Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho would unironically be better than most of the candidates we have running.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A few non-controversial choices:
The Manchurian Candidate
All the President's Men
Milk

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Xenophon posted:

A few non-controversial choices:
The Manchurian Candidate
All the President's Men
Milk

Make sure you watch the original All the President's Men though, because the Sean Penn one is garbage.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
The Battle of Algiers

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

The Battle of Algiers

Yes watch this it's one of the greatest films ever made.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Game Change

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

HMS Beagle posted:

Make sure you watch the original All the President's Men though, because the Sean Penn one is garbage.

I think you're thinking of All the King's Men, which is about Huey Long. All the President's Men is about Nixon/Watergate. There's also a weird movie called the Assassination of Richard Nixon where Sean Penn has a mustache and tries to bomb the White House.

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

The Battle of Algiers

yeah, this to. It's not quite "politics" per se, but it's about the intersection of violence and politics and colonialism and nationalism and it's so loving good

e: vvvvv also Primary Colors for John Travolta doing an impression of Bill for two hours straight

Xenophon has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Mar 18, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
seeing as we got a Clinton probably in the white house again, Wag the Dog

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i saw this recently it was good plus it was written by gore vidal

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Xenophon posted:

I think you're thinking of All the King's Men, which is about Huey Long. All the President's Men is about Nixon/Watergate. There's also a weird movie called the Assassination of Richard Nixon where Sean Penn has a mustache and tries to bomb the White House.

You're right, I was. All the President's Men is also great, should be required viewing.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
this is essential viewing if we are talking about nixon movies

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

baw posted:

this is essential viewing if we are talking about nixon movies

Dammit, beaten by seconds. Seconding this suggestion.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

It's Network.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Why has no one mentioned the Documentary of America post 2016: Idiocracy

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Queef posted:

Why has no one mentioned the Documentary of America post 2016: Idiocracy

just look at this post and breathe it in

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
President Obama's favorite political movie is election, it's pretty good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Best of Enemies is a great movie. It's a bit more on the documentary side but it is an amazing ride. Shows how the modern cable news punditry was born out of a fit of heated intercourse between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, I can't say it's in the "best movies" category as I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't like it, but I got a lot of laughs out of The Campaign.

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012
nashville is 2016.avi

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Oliver Stone's Nixon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Serious recommendations:
Primary Colors
Game Change
The Candidate
Dick (1999)
W.
Wag the Dog

Yes, Network rules. And House of Cards is overrated as gently caress.

• Locked thread