Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
What, 3 pages in and nobody mentions Dave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I love the scene in Canadian Bacon where Rip Torn's character is intoning "dead... dead... dead... also dead... oh, he's still alive! ...and making license plates in federal prison." as he thumbs through a slideshow of potential supervillains threats to national security.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

extremely good

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Good Night and Good Luck is worth watching if only for the guy who plays Murrow, though.
David Strathairn, a fine actor who is most commonly seen in John Sayles movies and ought to be better known.

I liked in the 1970s, and haven't seen since, The Candidate, starring a young and beautiful Robert Redford who campaigns successfully because he is a young and beautiful Robert Redford. He's a confused blank slate.

Tenthing the recommendation for In The Loop, which is about the inner workings of decision-making (hint: it's not about ethical principles).

Bob Roberts, about a budding demagogue who succeeds by being aw-shucks folksy.

Doctor Strangelove, because Doctor Strangelove.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the battle of algiers. cheers.

edit: i see it's already been posted. come and see. che. the baader-meinhof complex. la chinoise. the wind that shakes the barley. spanish earth. the organizer. memories of underdevelopment. hearts and minds.

also every film is about politics on some level or another

R. Guyovich has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Mar 22, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Charlie Wilson's War is a good movie, I don't know about the substance of its actual commentary on politics, I wouldn't put much stock in it, but if you're like a cynical liberal, it will be enjoyable as gently caress. But again, it's not smart for its own sake, it's not educating, it's an entertainment film.

Network some of these older movies have some very clear points to make about politics, and media, and Charlie Wilson's War is basically far too cynical to be bothered with that. The movie basically indulges and celebrates itself and the events it ostensibly covers.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

hemophilia posted:

Charlie Wilson's War is a good movie, I don't know about the substance of its actual commentary on politics, I wouldn't put much stock in it, but if you're like a cynical liberal, it will be enjoyable as gently caress. But again, it's not smart for its own sake, it's not educating, it's an entertainment film.

Network some of these older movies have some very clear points to make about politics, and media, and Charlie Wilson's War is basically far too cynical to be bothered with that. The movie basically indulges and celebrates itself and the events it ostensibly covers.

Boosted commentary... good?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I forgot about Che. It has some amazing cinematography and the guerrilla war scenes own.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hemophilia posted:

so whats your take on that Ned Beatty scene in Network? does it make you go "hell yeah!"?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

babypolis posted:

so whats your take on that Ned Beatty scene in Network? does it make you go "hell yeah!"?

It makes me want to pass mental healthcare reform.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just watched All the King's Men and it sure feels like the official movie of this forum.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You want some good political movies?

The Constant Gardener
Blood Diamond
Waltz With Bashir

and for a taste of what life would be like should Sanders win the election, Logan's Run

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
waltz with bashir is really fuckin good

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, Waltz with Bashir was pretty good. Also, while not really a political movie, White House Down holds a soft spot in my heart since its a movie that features actual right wing American terrorists, which I find is pretty rare.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, Waltz with Bashir was pretty good. Also, while not really a political movie, White House Down holds a soft spot in my heart since its a movie that features actual right wing American terrorists, which I find is pretty rare.

white house down rules and is a good palate cleanser after the onslaught of anti-dprk propaganda nonsense like red dawn, olympus has fallen, the interview, etc. as if they would ever invade or actually attack the us

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The fact that the producers of the Red Dawn remake decided to switch the antagonist from America to North Korea because they didn't dare offend the Chinese government is hilarious and says a lot about the extent to which American patriotism is just something people in Washington and Hollywood package and sell to flyover states whose populations' are viewed with open contempt.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Homework Explainer posted:

white house down rules and is a good palate cleanser after the onslaught of anti-dprk propaganda nonsense like red dawn, olympus has fallen, the interview, etc. as if they would ever invade or actually attack the us

Dammit, I am going to watch that movie again. I loving love that movie, and its not even really that good.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Helsing posted:

The fact that the producers of the Red Dawn remake decided to switch the antagonist from America to North Korea because they didn't dare offend the Chinese government is hilarious and says a lot about the extent to which American patriotism is just something people in Washington and Hollywood package and sell to flyover states whose populations' are viewed with open contempt.

it's just profit-seeking. why alienate a potential customer base needlessly?

i mean let's be clear the notion of china invading the US is nearly as fantastical anyway. it's not like there was much artistic integrity there to begin with that was compromised.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean poo poo the original Red Dawn still had, what, two? minutes of title cards just to set up the ludicrous scenario under which soviet and cuban forces somehow pulled off an invasion, and even with all those gimmies the scenario would have been too implausible even for a Tom Clancy novel. invading the US was wildly impossible even for the Soviet loving Union

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Only other one I can think of is The Rock.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean poo poo the original Red Dawn still had, what, two? minutes of title cards just to set up the ludicrous scenario under which soviet and cuban forces somehow pulled off an invasion, and even with all those gimmies the scenario would have been too implausible even for a Tom Clancy novel. invading the US was wildly impossible even for the Soviet loving Union

The original Red Dawn seemed to be motivated by genuine wingnut passion, which is how you get all those awesome moments like the camera panning from a dead patriot to the anti-gun control bumper sticker on someone's car, or the American child soldiers executing their collaborationist classmate. The remake appears to have had about as much wingnuttery behind it as a 'Support Our Troops" T-shirt made in Vietnam.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I haven't seen the remake but the original felt like it was meant to be a bit more complex towards the end with the Cuban guy being a bit sympathetic and I also felt like we were supposed to be v a bit unsympathetic to the wolverines after they execute their classmate.

But I've only seen it once and I ultimately thought it was terrible so what do I know.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Red Dawn was meant to help Americans sympathize with the Mujaheddin by imagining themselves as guerrilla warriors fighting a Soviet Occupation. For an alternate take check out the Russian film '9th Company' - besides some movies already recommended here I'd also add Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times" and "The Great Dictator".

Besides the excellent fictional work of Network, Manchurian Candidate, and Dr. Strangelove, I'll add this collection of nonfiction films

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Helical Nightmares posted:

Only other one I can think of is The Rock.

Airforce One

"Get off of my plane." - Han Solo

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Since we're talking about 80s Cold War cinema, I am fascinated with Rocky IV and how Drago is the ideal of the quantified body and how Americans are not machines like those Soviets. And yet, here we are with Fitbits that do what? Quantify our bodies. Though that whole "Soviets are machines" thing gets complicated in the last fight when Rocky's corner-man says "HE'S NOT A MACHINE, HE'S A MAN." and Drago says that Rocky "is like iron."

Sprinkle something about the Futurist Manifesto in there and you've got a stew going.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Since we're talking about 80s Cold War cinema, I am fascinated with Rocky IV and how Drago is the ideal of the quantified body and how Americans are not machines like those Soviets. And yet, here we are with Fitbits that do what? Quantify our bodies. Though that whole "Soviets are machines" thing gets complicated in the last fight when Rocky's corner-man says "HE'S NOT A MACHINE, HE'S A MAN." and Drago says that Rocky "is like iron."

Sprinkle something about the Futurist Manifesto in there and you've got a stew going.

Of course everyone has seen 'The Pervert's Guide to Ideology'?

And of course the films of Neil Breen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_eSGhRCdgo

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
It's not easy being Zizek because a lot of regular folks think he's just nonsense "theory" and a lot of academics think his theory isn't sophisticated enough.

I still like the guy, though. I mean, how can you not like a guy who makes a persuasive argument for the ideology of toilets?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Fidel Castronaut posted:

It's not easy being Zizek because a lot of regular folks think he's just nonsense "theory" and a lot of academics think his theory isn't sophisticated enough.

I still like the guy, though. I mean, how can you not like a guy who makes a persuasive argument for the ideology of toilets?

Zizek is pretty fun. The Pervert's Guide movies own.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Airforce One

"Get off of my plane." - Han Solo

...I haven't seen it :negative:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I say he did it, on porpoise.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If politics to you is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat there's Unknown Known, by the same guy who did Fog of War (Documentaries on Rumsfeld and McNamara, respectively, only McNamara has a soul and Rumsfeld doesn't)

If politics is tort-reform go watch Hot Coffee.

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Mar 24, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Fog of War is great and Unknown Known is absolutely infuriating.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bobby wasn't a bad movie. A decent fictional film that covers people around Bobby Kennedy but never really actually features Bobby Kennedy. Munich started off pretty good, but I felt it started losing its focus towards the end. The scene where he is having sex with his wife and envisioning all of the violence he has seen was comically bad. But it did keep my interest.

blackguy32 has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Mar 24, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Thank You For Smoking is a funny and good politics movie.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This is one of the most intense movies I've ever seen.

Like most Soviet films this is on YouTube.
Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDq9fL--Avw
Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIaDYRipoM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Fog of War is great and Unknown Known is absolutely infuriating.

The Fog of War is just so enormously watchable. I can watch it again and again.

I remember reading that interviewing Donald Rumsfeld was perhaps the single most disturbing experience of Errol Morris's career to date. An absolute absence of contrition or self-doubt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Atrocious Joe posted:

Like most Soviet films this is on YouTube.
Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDq9fL--Avw
Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIaDYRipoM

I liked it, but... I wish it showed nazis burning alive at the end.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

My Imaginary GF posted:

I wish it showed nazis burning alive.

this is my complaint with most movies

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
tell us what you think of the battle of algiers, op

edit: i see it's already been posted. come and see. che. the baader-meinhof complex. la chinoise. the wind that shakes the barley. spanish earth. the organizer. memories of underdevelopment. hearts and minds.

thank you. i put many of your recommendations on my to-watch list.

also every film is about politics on some level or another

yupp. when people think of "politics" they think of electoral politics and maybe political social movements. but every inch of our lives and world is shaped by power dynamics.

Atrocious Joe posted:

i've been putting off watching Come and See because I'm afraid of what i'll see... i need to wait for the right time to come when i can handle it....

My Imaginary GF posted:

I liked it, but... I wish it showed nazis burning alive at the end.

my god, Inglourious Basterds is such an immensely satisfying film. more movies should satisfy historical-political fantasies like that. i'm reminded of the TV series Spartacus which I cannot recommend enough to all who like vengeful desires fulfilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of Nazis I like the HBO movie Conspiracy, about the meeting that decided the plan for the final solution. There was every kind of politician and military officer there all trying to figure out what the hell is going on between the ears of the others.

The best part was when one of the field commanders stood up and said "just so we're on the same page, according to you guys, when I took a bunch of people and shot them in the head I was 'evacuating' them, right?"

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Mar 25, 2016

• Locked thread