Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Problem description: Recently got all the parts together for a new PC and tried my hand at building my own computer for the first time. The result has been frustrating to say the least but the long and short of it is the computer boots, fans spin, lights come on, and my monitors receive no input at all - plus I don't hear that beep I'm supposed to hear when the thing boots. The only interaction from the monitors was when I had incorrectly plugged in the power cord for my video card it gave me a message on screen to fix it, that's been the only visual interaction. Being up front, I strongly suspect I may have destroyed my motherboard, I spent about an hour trying to screw it down using the wrong screws getting increasingly frustrated and subsequently less gentle with the thing so it's been handled a good deal more roughly than I imagine it should have been.

Attempted fixes: Tried booting it with every conceivable RAM configuration; reseated and affixed the heat sink and CPU, fixed that erroneous GPU power cord (all potential solutions suggested to me by google).

--

Operating system: None atm

System specs: Some goons helped me put together a build in the build thread so just gonna repost that:
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm really hoping you guys can help me out here, I'm not sure what the problem could be other than a fried motherboard, and I'm not sure how to verify if the motherboard is in fact fried. The only other possibility that seems like it might be likely is that I'm somehow configuring the RAM wrong? Google says sometimes on first boot you should only use 1 stick and make sure it's physically in the right slot, unfortunately the guide in the motherboard book is a bit inscrutable - pic because I can't describe it well, but I understand it to mean I should have RAM in slots 2 and 4 like this? Probably none of this is relevant but I'm hoping :smith:

e: Thanks for all the help guys I got it up and running thanks to yall.

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
Did you use the stand offs when putting the motherboard inside the case?

*Edit: Those are the right slots. If you look at he diagram of the motherboard in the manual it labels the slots there.

Taiso fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 18, 2016

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Taiso posted:

Did you use the stand offs when putting the motherboard inside the case?

I used 6 of the 8 standoffs that came with the case. The case was marked for 3 different sizes of motherboard but my board didn't seem to fit any of them, so I just put them under where the holes on the board were.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
I noticed you only have one power cable connected to your video card.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Yea, that's true. Re-reading the power supply book it does say I may need 2 for high power cards. I'll try plugging in another one? But currently the card is coming on (lighting up at least)... brb.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Ah. I think that fixed it. Got into the cmos screen. I feel retarded. Thank you !

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!

Sinking Ship posted:

Ah. I think that fixed it. Got into the cmos screen. I feel retarded. Thank you !

Well I'm glad you took a picture of the RAM lol, that's where I saw the problem.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks again for your earlier help; I've spent the last few hours installing drivers and software and poo poo and now I've come across something else a bit worrisome so since I have this thread open I hope it's not inappropriate to ask. My CPU is running really hot (according to speccy) like 50°C idle (posting this) and it hit 80°C on a loading screen before I alt+f4'd and it got up in the 80s while I was downloading a game... Those temps are all way higher than my old CPU ran so it's really worrying me considering at no point was I actually really doing anything all that resource intensive. After I noticed it I pulled out the heatsink and reattached it because a quick google suggested maybe I hadn't set it properly or something but it didn't fix it. So I don't know considering my build should I just expect those sort of temperatures from a stock cooler? Should I buy a heatsink? I'll try playing an actual game and see what kind of numbers I'm getting but I'm really worried :(

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Sinking Ship posted:

Thanks again for your earlier help; I've spent the last few hours installing drivers and software and poo poo and now I've come across something else a bit worrisome so since I have this thread open I hope it's not inappropriate to ask. My CPU is running really hot (according to speccy) like 50°C idle (posting this) and it hit 80°C on a loading screen before I alt+f4'd and it got up in the 80s while I was downloading a game... Those temps are all way higher than my old CPU ran so it's really worrying me considering at no point was I actually really doing anything all that resource intensive. After I noticed it I pulled out the heatsink and reattached it because a quick google suggested maybe I hadn't set it properly or something but it didn't fix it. So I don't know considering my build should I just expect those sort of temperatures from a stock cooler? Should I buy a heatsink? I'll try playing an actual game and see what kind of numbers I'm getting but I'm really worried :(

Can you describe how you reseated it? Did you use new thermal compound? How much did you use? Is the heat sink fan plugged in? Does the heat sink feel loose at all?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

smax posted:

Can you describe how you reseated it? Did you use new thermal compound? How much did you use? Is the heat sink fan plugged in? Does the heat sink feel loose at all?

I just reseated it by removing and reaffixing the heat sink - the stock fan came with thermal compound on it, I don't have any to reapply so I just tried to be careful not to touch that surface so as not to smudge any of it off. The heat sink is very secure on there right now, doesn't budge or jiggle at all.

edit: Slight update my CPU is consistently idling at 40-50°C but then in a video game it was at 99°C and climbing before I got scared and pulled the plug. I've been googling like crazy but I haven't found anything that looks like a solution, I'm not even entirely sure that I have a problem, everything is running beautifully and not crashing - though temperatures that high have to be unhealthy right?

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 18, 2016

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Well I downloaded the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool and the CPU failed the testing and told me to check the 'processor thermal solution'. But then I ran it again a couple times and the CPU passed... so I don't know what the hell is going on, maybe I'm safe to just ignore it?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sinking Ship posted:

I just reseated it by removing and reaffixing the heat sink - the stock fan came with thermal compound on it, I don't have any to reapply so I just tried to be careful not to touch that surface so as not to smudge any of it off. The heat sink is very secure on there right now, doesn't budge or jiggle at all.

When you reattach the heatsink onto the CPU both the CPU and heatsink should be wiped clean using something like a coffee filter with a little isopropyl alcohol on it. Then new thermal compound applied.

If you just detach and then reattach the two the thermal compound will be thinner and unevenly spread. That's most likely why you're seeing high temperatures.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Zogo posted:

When you reattach the heatsink onto the CPU both the CPU and heatsink should be wiped clean using something like a coffee filter with a little isopropyl alcohol on it. Then new thermal compound applied.

If you just detach and then reattach the two the thermal compound will be thinner and unevenly spread. That's most likely why you're seeing high temperatures.

Yep, get a new tube of compound, remove all of the old stuff, and reapply the new stuff correctly. Take a look at some videos or pictures online to see how to do it right.

• Locked thread