Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smax
Nov 9, 2009

Sinking Ship posted:

Thanks again for your earlier help; I've spent the last few hours installing drivers and software and poo poo and now I've come across something else a bit worrisome so since I have this thread open I hope it's not inappropriate to ask. My CPU is running really hot (according to speccy) like 50°C idle (posting this) and it hit 80°C on a loading screen before I alt+f4'd and it got up in the 80s while I was downloading a game... Those temps are all way higher than my old CPU ran so it's really worrying me considering at no point was I actually really doing anything all that resource intensive. After I noticed it I pulled out the heatsink and reattached it because a quick google suggested maybe I hadn't set it properly or something but it didn't fix it. So I don't know considering my build should I just expect those sort of temperatures from a stock cooler? Should I buy a heatsink? I'll try playing an actual game and see what kind of numbers I'm getting but I'm really worried :(

Can you describe how you reseated it? Did you use new thermal compound? How much did you use? Is the heat sink fan plugged in? Does the heat sink feel loose at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Zogo posted:

When you reattach the heatsink onto the CPU both the CPU and heatsink should be wiped clean using something like a coffee filter with a little isopropyl alcohol on it. Then new thermal compound applied.

If you just detach and then reattach the two the thermal compound will be thinner and unevenly spread. That's most likely why you're seeing high temperatures.

Yep, get a new tube of compound, remove all of the old stuff, and reapply the new stuff correctly. Take a look at some videos or pictures online to see how to do it right.

• Locked thread