Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Panda the tuxedo cat-loaf agrees!

It's not just the dark where they're an issue though. In bright lights, half of tuxedo cats can disappear!

Fortunately, they can reach out and let you know they should be rescued ASAP.

(seriously this cat went unadopted at a rescue for a YEAR despite being the loving coolest cat on the planet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Chili posted:

Sunday is here! Butterscotch caption contest time:

Quote the picture and include the caption, weehoo!
Ikea? Jackpot!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

I love that Butters, when put down outside, immediately dashes back for inside. It's like opposite cat behavior.

Clearly you've never had a conditioned indoor kitty. I'm amazed he could even run, and didn't just slink low and crawl.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

like putting a fridge on a bed:

Please don't put a fridge on your kitty's bed.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Aww he's sneezing :3:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Oh my god. I'm not the only crazy person who bastardizes songs and sings them to their cat.

I mean it when I say... I thought I was the only one.

I love you all.

wife and I do, to the tune of Black Betty

Whoa-oh cute kitty bam ba lam
yeah such a cute kitty bam ba lam
gonna clean her litty, bam ba lam
cuz it's full of lovely, bam ba lam

usually just repeating the first two lines as we give her cheek scritches.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

"Okay now pay close attention to the logo in this scene, it's pretty clearly the 30 years ago version..."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

"Okay I'm doing my part, now you need to start the intervention."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Caption Contest - Christmas Edition

I try to take my responsibility to deliver toys to all the good little cats in the world on Christmas seriously, but this is a really comfy lap...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

squad goals

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Butters is so clearly food-motivated, and he figured that out pretty quickly. I feel like this means you could probably train him to do just about anything with a food reward. Looking forward to seeing him sail majestically through a series of hoops. :allears:
When my cat was in rescue, she was free-fed. When I got her, I started her on scheduled feedings. At first she didn't really pay attention to food, but it didn't take long for her to understand the pattern and anticipate meals.

Then she noticed I'd sometimes give her treats when I'd give the dog a couple small treats immediately following a trip outside. So now whenever I come back inside with the dog, she jumps onto the counter and lets me have it with the meows until she gets a greenie or minnow. I'm trying to think about turning into a training opportunity for her, but not sure what I really want her to do. I've already trained her to jump onto my back. I think "stay" will be next.

What I'm saying is you've gotta train butters, chili :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Guys.

Gummi has hit adoption weight, and he's likely leaving our care tomorrow. My heart is kinda breaking, as he's become my favorite. He's such a good lap kitty with a loud purrbox.

Don't have much else to say beyond that. Keeping him isn't an option but I just wanted to mini-vent a bit because I'm sad. He's a good boy. I'll be sure to post some good pictures of him tonight.

You did a Good Job.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Alrighty everyone. Break is over. Got some new adult cats coming in tomorrow. One is gorgeous, its name is Pyewicket:

See you all tomorrow!

somebody get me a map, I've gotten lost in her eyes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Hell yeah! And honestly, for hardy adult cats, like Peaches & Pie, there doesn't seem to be a limit to how hard I can brush. If I let up at all, they push against the brush hard. The pressure must feel really good to them and JEEEEZ it is satisfying when you hit a thick clump or a matte and you get through. It's a victory for all involved.

My catte lets me know when she's done or I'm going too hard/wrong by just turning and nipping the hand. All other times she purrs the purr of a thousand eons.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

so marry the cat? :colbert:

Technically the cat owns the house. You'd be its tenant!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Butters's whiny meows are killing me :3:

His little voice is squeaking out "Don't feed me after midnight or get me wet"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Posie Cat (short for poseidon)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

gotta have more sushi names

maki
nori
tamago

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Serella posted:

This thread sure is full of fuckin cats. Let's fix that with some fosternoodles:

I've had Eris and Juno since December, and I think they're actually going home with someone this weekend! :toot: I'll miss them, but it'll be nice for them to be in a forever home, and the woman who is interested in them is not only a former ferret owner, but meets all my snobby standards to boot. I prob won't get any new fosters for a few weeks since I just had surgery, but when I do I could use help renaming because people sure give ferrets some dumbass names and I basically always change them.

Anyway, if people are interested in more catsnake pics, I can share. Also, if anyone has good tips and info to share on boosting awareness, I could use the advice. Our rescue has been declining for some time now, so me and a few others are trying to kick it up into the modern era and get people interested.
I thought you were just complaining about too many cats and hten you go and post MORE cat-derivative species?

(very interested)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Butters will come around. No idea how long it'll take, which is the problem, but it'll happen.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm not a big fan of small dogs, but that right there's a good un.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

:allears:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Stuff Tiani in an envelope and ship her over.

Might be quite a bit of postage since she apparently weighs over 36 kilograms.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

uh. kinda small looking for an 80 pound cat.

I'm just going by the sheet in her photo!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have no need of an alarm clock anyway; You have a very hungry cat who will wake you up on time, on the dot every morning, so he can get fed. NOW! :catbert:

Step 1: Meow loudly.

Step 2: Walk on heads.

Step 3: Lick eyebrows.

Step 4: Bite exposed arms.

Step 5: Try to knock over lamps on nightstand.

Step 6: Anything else I can knock over?

Go back to step 1 and repeat cycle.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bitprophet posted:

And this is why we lock our cats out of the bedroom at night :colbert:

:catbert:
I like cat alarms better than phone alarms.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Woo! That's a reasonably healthy weight, especially for a cat with big bones (or so he says) like butters!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Well everyone, it looks like we're gonna need some help from you.

Butterscotch is kinda ruining our lives. The big issue is his night time behavior. He used to sleep in our bed every night. He'd be nice and quiet at the foot and all was well.

Then, he started walking on our heads a few months back.

We tolerated that, somehow, but recently katdicks (my wife) got pregnant and was having enough of a hard time trying to sleep through the night without Bscotch being a monster.

So we kicked him out and have him sleep on the couch with his brother. Now his new thing is just meowing and scratching at the bedroom door. All night.

I've found one semi-quick fix that usually buys an hour or two. I open the door, shine my flashlight at him, and spray him with some water he generally quiets down for a bit. I know, I know, that's not terribly pleasant, but we're running out of ideas here.

To top it all of he usually demands and screams for breakfast around 6AM, but that's only if we're lucky. Sometimes, he becomes inconsolable starting at around 4.

We love him, but we're really tapped out and we're not sure what to do next. I've taken to feeding him a little later at night, which has helped, but not consistently.

If we could get him to somehow stop scratching the door and meowing out there, we'd be set. But, as we all know cats are terrible, and Butterscotch is more cat than any other cat I've met. We've tried the feliway, no luck there. He just wants what he wants, when he wants it, can't really fault him for that but we just want him to understand :negative:

Help us, please.

Maybe you can change his behavior with an automated feeder, if you can find a butterproof one (they're also a little pricey, ~$120). Theory goes that it doesn't matter what time it's set to, whether it's 6, 6:30, 7, 7:30, whatever, when he figures out the machine itself dispenses the food, independent of you the hooman, he'll learn to go wait by it instead of bugging you as much.

Our cat usually spends about 30 minutes a night in the other room, usually about 10:30-11pm, just going "Mrow! mrow! Mrow! Mrow!" as she carries a little toy raccoon tail around. It's cute but does keep me up. She stops on her own though. She'll walk on our heads and meow at us in the morning, and try to knock over lamps, but it's not as bad as it sounds like Butters is.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

It's been a long yearcat:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Any updates from folks what was wrong with it?

I ran into a crow flopping around weirdly this summer in the local park. It clearly couldn't fly and was having trouble even hopping around. Eventually cornered it in between a couple fences, and took the wife's advice to try to bring it to a hospital. Didn't have any towel handy or anything, so had to take off my shirt to cover up it's head and wrangle it. Had a fun 1/4 mile walk shirtless walk home with a bird secured in my hands.

You hear about how light birds are but until you're holding a 16" tall bird that feels like it weighs nothing it doesn't really sink in. With wife's help we drove into Portland to the wild animal hospital but it'd had some heavy wing damage (probably from a cat attack, tons of indoor/outdoor cats here) and had to be euthed. Sad, but a better end than starving, infection, or a cat finishing the job with another mauling. Glad it sounds like you're getting a better result!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

Yes. You are 100% right. If I had anything like that at my disposal, I would've gone for them. But, I didn't. Time was of the essence, and most stores were closed. Also, when I got close to him the first time (unfilmed) it definitely didn't look like he had much in the tank. I was pretty hopeful that it would go easily.

And hey, the loss of an eyeball and a badass hawk scar ain't too bad. I could live with that.
The young woman who runs the Portland Audobon isn't all that big and routinely manages to wrangle bald eagles that need wrangling. Towels on the head work miracles when it comes to birds, apparently. Just keep your digity bits away from their pokey bits, keep their wings folded in, and they're pretty easy to handle.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Volunteering at the local PetSmart, where a cat rescue hosts adoptable ladies and chaps. Only two around for my shift.

First up is Indy.

Indy is an utter sweetheart. He is more like a chill small dog than a cat, slightly velcro-y, loves pets and attention, desires belly rubs. He'll give brief barky meows when he wants attention.

His fur is super-fine, and clings to anything, refusing to let go. So while it's fun to furminate his luxurious coat, it uh tends to stick. Still, the voluminous purrs are totally worth it.

Bingo is a little bit more reserved.

They're a bonded pair, but it's hard to tell when I'm there cause Indy loves scritches and bingo likes ignoring people and exploring the corners of the room.

Bingo has insane whiskers, soft fuzzy fur, and butters-like worried eyes. He's not exactly a scared cat but he does seem to prefer quiet over bustle. I stayed quiet long enough just now that she jumped into my lap in search of the good scritches.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah a whole lotta good breed possibilities. Catahoula, Ridgeback, Cattle, Island dogs...

But ultimatley he's the best breed: loveable mutt.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chaosfeather posted:

Forest pup update: The shelter said his lame leg was a minor injury, and he is getting all of the parasites taken care of. He is expected to make a full recovery and will be put up for adoption soon!

Yay!

I was doing my weekly kitty volunteer shift at PetSmart and a young woman brought in a 4 week old kitty. After getting over the initial :swoon: I went out the adoption room I was in to get its picture and ask about it. Friends of hers found it abandoned in a tire, and she was taking it to the vet inside PetSmart to get it looked at. Lots of crusty eye goop, and wasn't gaining weight after a few days of heavy eating (worms almost certainly).

Thanked her for helping the lil fella out. Good people helping kittens is the best :)

Tax of said kitten:

While I'm at it, here's Oliver. His eyes should get him adopted soon, he's freaking entrancing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Black kitties are the best. There's three at the adoption center now and I wanna get them all. Thank God for strict two pet limit on the lease.

Seriously ember is so lil and feisty. She goes out of her way to greet all the kitties when we let them out, even grumpy ones or ones scared in the new environment.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

There's a massive cat in our rescue right now, a 25lb black pile of loving sweetness named Squeaky. Already had a rough start by getting a bladder infection that led to secondary complications since she couldn't adequately clean her pee-dribbling posterior. She's on a diet and quite sad about it.

My wife has fallen head over heels for her. I've never seen a friendlier cat, and even though we each only have one volunteer shift a week she's been helping out with three a week just to see squeaky.

If we didn't have a lease limiting our pets we'd definitely have our own butters. Sigh.

Was gonna put a picture of her here but found, somehow, I don't have any. So here's my own lil rescue Panda again with her stand-in Min-Pan.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So frustrating.

I volunteer for a no-kill shelter.

We had a cat come in about a year ago, Sybil. She was very, very difficult, alternating at random between curiously docile and hyperviolent. Still, she eventually got adopted after about two months.

Eight months later she comes back. Family says daughter moved back in and was allergic to cats, and either we take Sybil back or they'll just dump her somewhere. So we give in and take her back.

She has lost ANY chill. She hisses constantly, growls, swipes, and threatens to bite. She used to be rough to handle, but now refuses to let anyone NEAR her, and even looking at her from 5' away elicits a negative fear response.

Wife's guessing she was abused, which makes sense. We're a no-kill shelter, but this cat is completely un-adoptable right now, so I have no idea what the plan is for her. Can't kill her, can hardly clean her enclosure for fear of attack, can't adopt her out...what do you do with that?

Sucks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The very second I get into a situation where I can foster without breaking a lease I will. Wife was super eager about a young hurricane harvey kitty that was about 25 lbs, wanting to help that kitty get back to help, partially thanks to the butters story.

For now we're happy to volunteer at a rescue shelter, making sure the cats we see are super loved and given only the best of scritches.

You're good, man!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

I do appreciate that. Frankly, posting pictures here makes me happy and having the reminder to forward them over when I get them will be a good thing.

Photo albums have been replaced with hitting ? in a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

That's a good boy and you're a good dog dad.