Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Jazzy was the name of my cat from childhood who passed a few years ago.

Be super gentle with this one and give her all the treats and love while she's still young so she doesn't hate the world like mine did :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I'm LivesInGrey's wife. I feel like absolute poo poo because I think I was the last one to feed him before he died. Mars had been looking like poo poo for a while, both he and Venus had me super worried, but I didn't know what to do except keep feeding him, keep the water and free food topped off, and hope for the best. I'm still really worried about Venus, she's not nearly as active as her siblings (she's apparently wrestling with them rn though), but I don't know what else to do for them. Rose might want us to bring her in for a panleukopenia check (idk how this is done, I didn't know that was A Thing That Happens), right now she just wants us to bring Mars in for possible necropsy.

We volunteer through the Street Cat H.U.B., but the website is still under construction, and it doesn't really have anything for donations. The coordinator for it has her number up, though, if you want to contact her and find out how to donate directly. Alternatively, we are registered through Amazon Smile, so if you go to here, you can change the charity to Street Cat Hub, based out of Albuquerque NM, and anything you purchase through smile.amazon.com will donate a little money to our group.

I'm still in shock. I just really loving hope it's not something that all the kittens have. It'll be horrible if they all die one after another.

Thank you guys for all of your support <3

edit: Jesus Christ it's apparently contagious as hell. I really loving hope that if that's it, the Hub can vaccinate our older cats. I feel like throwing up.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 17, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Chili posted:

Yeah, panleuk is just about the worst thing in the world for a foster owner to deal with. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, because the consequences can be devastating. To best prepare please do make sure that your adult cats get nowhere near those kittens. As soon as they rule out panleuk, you can take a deep breath and relax a little. If you happen to notice any of the kittens sitting still, above a water dish with their heads somewhat drooped over the bowl.... that's one of the telltale signs of panleuk, so keep an eye out for that.

Anyway, as I told your partner, feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk. From one foster to another, thank you, even though you're dealing with poo poo right now, please now that your compassion is inspiring!

Also, as I think we all need a pick me up, I'd like to share with you guys the most recent development in Butterscotch's quest for lap domination.

Since I've been home on medical leave, he's gotten insanely attached to me. It started a few weeks ago when I posted pictures of him trying to overtake my laptop. I made the mistake of picking him up when he was sleeping on the keyboard and put him on my lap. Suddenly, that has become the place to be. It started with him loafing for a minute or two, then he'd striaght up fall asleep on his side.

But now it's come to this:

Look at that baby.

Look at that big fat baby.

I'll keep an eye on them, both Birdie and the Senshi. Birdie took the syringe feeding on his own today for a whole 5 ml! He also purred a whole lot. The others were their usual selves, Venus is still pretty iffy on syringe feeding, but I saw her eating the dry food, so it's something, anyway :unsmith:

Wanna stuff my face in that fluffy belly.

SneakyFrog posted:

indeedy that is a big fattie boy. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxwmW0DU-I

in the spirit of cutesy things to make you feel better here be a kitten attack movie.

what an excellent kitten! those air biscuits :kimchi: and that tiny purr.

my cat is norris posted:

That Butter belly! That Bitteh purr! So wonderful. :kimchi:

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your little foster kitten. I hope the rest of your little flock remains healthy.

Alteisen posted:

You guys are pretty amazing, I don't know where you find the strength to be honest.

I use to foster terminally ill pets and after the 4th one I was so utterly destroyed and heartbroken that I simply couldn't carry on, despite knowing full well what I was getting myself to I still became very attached.

My last one was this little baby right here, I opted to adopt him because I loved him so much and spent an absolute fortune to keep him going, he lived 2 years but it might as well have been lifetime for me, after that I just couldn't do it anymore much to my great shame.

Your words reached me, maybe I have some thinking to do.

What a beautiful little guy. I'm aware of the terminally ill fostering, but I'm not sure my heart can take it. I also worry for our permanent cats, because the first kitten we fostered, Rena ended up nearly adopting as her own. I think the depression from being separated from the kitten was one of the factors that led to her not eating and developing hepatic lipidosis. So, we're segregating the adults from the little ones more carefully, and giving the adults a shitload of affection so they don't feel ignored or replaced.

Kwyndig posted:

That's good news! Sad she has to get surgery but once that is fixed she'll probably start eating like a champ.

I'm gonna be checking palates when feeding from now on. I didn't even know it was a thing that could happen. She was so sick at one point that her whole face was covered in crusty boogers, and we had to give her a bath and patiently soak and wash them all off. So, this explains why that happened. The doctor that does veterinary care for the Hub is super good and I'm a tiny bit worried about the anesthesia because she's so small, but I know they'll do a great job for her.

I quoted all of you so I could say thank you so so so much for your kind thoughts and praise. I always feel like I'm not doing enough for them, or otherwise minimizing the work I do (sadbrains unfortunately) but I really appreciate it and this keeps me going. So, thank you all so much.

SneakyFrog you should punch robocop in the face

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Chili wasn't kidding. You are seriously the champion of this thread.

FeLV is so loving horrible and depressing. We have to segregate the leukemia cats in the bathroom of the Hub right now, they have an outside enclosure they can access through the window, but I feel horrible because people rarely go in there and they really want attention. Whenever I go to pee these two siblings, Lucca and Amora swarm me and climb on my lap and give me all the headbutts. Amora's been losing her fur, so she's covered in mats, and someone's been making GBS threads or coughing blood everywhere, but so far I haven't seen anyone too lethargic.

I did find one of the leukemia cats dead in there one day, maybe a year ago. I guess she'd gone downhill really fast before anyone could do anything. That was really hard.

the Hub is raising funds to build a bigger cattery out back for the leukemia cats, with much more space to run around and play. if I at all thought it was safe I'd try fostering them, but FeLV is called the love virus because it's spread in saliva, so grooming and nose boops and such can spread it.

You are seriously amazing, Alteisen. Thank you for giving those cats a loving place to spend the rest of their days.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Echeveria posted:

Oh my jesus you are all such brave souls. I really want to foster but my husband is resisting. He says he doesn't want more cats in the house (we have 3 adult cats), but I think it's also partially because he doesn't want to get attached and then have to give them up.

The closest we've come to doing anything like what you folks do is adopting a 17 year old cat that someone surrendered at our Humane Society. I just posted about him in the Orange Cats thread. We named him Knubbs, and we had him for just under 2 years. We loved him pretty goddamn hard, and it hurt really bad when he died, even though we knew our time with him would be short.

what a handsome boy! such a sweet face! :byodame: THERE'S AN ORANGE CATS THREAD I MUST THROW PICTURES OF MY CAT AT

and yeah, getting attached is the hardest part. I'm pretty sure I'm getting attached to Birdie (gremlin kitten), and it's gonna be hell giving him up for adoption. I just keep telling myself he's gonna make some family super happy.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Birdie went back to the Hub today :unsmith: he's doing much better and Rose was thrilled to see him. He's back with his siblings now, Radish (who looks like a normal fluffy grey and white kitten) and Onion (black and white and missing one eye already).

Google photos doesn't allow embedding images elsewhere apparently.

Anytime he was out, he had to be clinging to one of us, preferably chest or shoulder.

I swear I bathed him, he's just a super messy eater.

I miss him already. :cry: Godspeed, you cuddly little gremlin.

In other news, the remaining four Senshi kittens went to the vet for a check-up today to make sure they didn't have anything infectious. They got a clean bill of health, except they need another round of deworming, and Venus had a bit of a fever. She's eating and running around more now, though, and they're all looking great. We don't even have to supplement them anymore except if she stops eating again. I might do it anyway because damnit I just made a big jar of formula last night.

SneakyFrog kittens are made of some sort of non-Newtonian liquid, seriously. They can bounce off things and squeeze into tiny spots. Though, I would've had a heart attack too.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Saw Birdie yesterday and today at the Hub, he still recognizes me :unsmith: and he told his siblings about me too, because his brother Radish reached out and grabbed me while I was working on something else. I found out that before he came to us, Birdie was so sickly that he was on IV fluids at the vet's office. Knowing that, I'm impressed he's doing so well now.

to add to griefchat, when I was 18 or so I found a tiny orange kitten at a park I used to hang out at when I was depressed. No one in the neighborhood recognized him so I kept him. I loved him so much, he used to jump up on me and try to eat whatever I had (I named him "Taberu" for that, but my parents hated it and just called him Tabby).

We took him in to see the vet after he started coughing and having trouble breathing, and discovered he had the wet form of FIP. There was nothing they could do but drain off some of the fluid and send him home to make the most of the time he had left.

The last night he was alive was on my birthday, and I remember looking under the desk to where he was sitting in a box. He kept nodding off and jerking awake, always staring at me. He was afraid to sleep, I think he knew he was dying and didn't want to go yet. It broke my heart to see him struggling so much just to make me happy. We took him to the vet and let him go the next day, I remember holding his paw and singing to him. I still have his ashes.

I still have a huge weakness for orange tabbies. When I first met Fish, who I raised from a kitten and has been my buddy for most of my adult life, it was like seeing Taberu all over again. I still sometimes feel like he's the reincarnation of that poor kitten all those years ago.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

LivesInGrey posted:

How about some good news? Birdie is doing great now that he's back with his family and more importantly, Venus has gained five ounces in as many days. That puts her within half an ounce of Mercury! They're off supplemental formula and now eating only dry food.

Watching them play is great and I'll try to get video before they vanish under the clutter in my living room.

We put a little supplemental formula into their kibble earlier, and then Moon started throwing up a lot :( we already cleaned up the hutch again and swapped the food to fresh dry stuff. But now I'm super anxious for her and hope it was a one-off thing.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Slightly more skinny blob.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

We missed the foster coordinator's phone call earlier today, so we're hanging onto the Sailor Kittens for a week longer. They need more socialization anyway, I plan to do 1:1 cuddletimes with each of them as often as I can to get them more cuddly. Right now they're more intent on drinking all the water in existence (guys we live in a desert...) and running around under things.

Btw, did you know that if you move very quietly, you can sneak up on a kitten? It's true. And hilarious when they realize what's happened.

The four super pathetic ones we were waiting on went to another foster, and instead we are getting a really tiny (3-4 weeks) kitten with undernourishment and depression. The guy who had the mom and the litter initially was loving feeding them cow's milk. Nothing else. Jesus Christ. And then I think he gave us a wholly unrelated mom, because the one we were told went with the litter (of two, by then the other kittens had died) was no longer lactating. Wednesday night when I was doing a shift at the HUB, Rose was moving them into an infirmary cage and was commenting on them weighing less than a potato chip apiece :unsmith: and I got to hold the brother, who was tiny and grey and white and I gave him kisses.

He died last night. It was a shock to all of us, but I guess it underscores how critically sick they are/were.

We haven't named her yet. I'm still trying to think of something. She likes the weight gain formula once it's warmed up a little, and she really likes cuddles, but she hasn't purred yet. She almost fell asleep on my chest earlier, which was really cute. I'm gonna be really loving upset if she dies too.

Not a great picture, I'll try to get one tomorrow with natural light if she survives the night.

This kitten season has been brutal.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I guess I should be nicer to the guy. If you have no idea what KMR is, you're not going to know to use it, and even then, it's hard to find sometimes. When I went to Petco to get some, I had to ask a clerk, and she vaguely asked "stage one or two?" :confused: I don't know, it's for sick kittens. "how old are they?" uhhhhh six-eight weeks? and then she gave us stage 2, which is apparently not great for urgent care food, but Rose can take it and give it to another foster who takes care of older kittens. So yeah, you have the "knowledge it exists" barrier, "can't find it easily in a store", and "clerk doesn't know how to parse 'it's for sick kittens'". From the way she behaved with it, you'd think it was worth its weight in gold (got it from the back, took it to the register).

Comparatively, the local pet emporium (Clark's represent!) just has it in the cat supplies section. Weird.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Our old lady cat, Rena, HATES loud noises, including thunderstorms and fireworks. This isn't a good time of year for her because there's almost always something loud going on. Poor girl :(.

Barring something unforeseen, the sick kitten Embers and the Sailor Kittens are all going back tomorrow :cry: I'm super sick with a summer cold and LiG sprained his knee the other night, so we're both in awful shape for being up and down with feedings and socialization. I wasn't going to say anything about it, but he knows I overwork myself when given the chance, so he made the call to Rose before I could get to that point. I'm gonna miss them soooooooo much and I worry about the Sailors being adopted over the week since the city will be full of kittens and I worry about Embers' prognosis and and and :cry:

I'm so mad at myself for being sick, this really sucks. :smith:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

the Sailors went to the city for adoption yesterday, I got to say bye to them Wednesday night and give them all kisses from me and LiG. Rose said we did a super good job with them, she was really impressed.

Embers is with Rose's sister, who is also really good at urgent and critical care for kittens. So, I know she's in good hands.

This year has just been brutal, though. We lost another kitten at the vet's d/t kidney failure. I don't think I met her, but it's still really sad.

In better news, a kitten that we've had for a while named Goth got fixed yesterday, and after he's done recovering, he's going back home to his person who's a cool veteran. He's so sweet and friendly, I'm really happy he's going home soon.

The house is freakishly quiet. I've gotten hella nice sleep, but it's weird to have all this quiet and free time.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen you're a wonderful person and you did good by Sylvester. Everyone already said it better than I could, but the fact is he had a full belly and was clean and warm and safe, and that's 1000% better than he was when you found him.

You did good <3

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Soraya is beautiful, and well named!

Got through fostering two girls recently, got a newborn preemie that some awful hoarder brought in, kept him alive for five days until last night. RIP Rio, I bonded to you on accident and now I'm heartbroken.

This kitten season is absolutely brutal.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

katka posted:

I was sent to this thread, so I'm gonna just cross post this from the cat megathread

hi, welcome!

In the first post in the thread, there's a lovely high-protein high-calorie formula that I always recommend and use.

I gotta warn you now, though: newborn kittens NEED their moms. They feed around the clock, stopping only to sleep and readjust their positions. Mama cat is also probably experienced in getting them to eliminate, too. I couldn't get the kitten I was taking care of to poop, so that may have been part of his problem. But yeah, kittens are super delicate in the first four weeks of life, and aren't remotely out of the woods until they're about 1 year old.

Put a heating pad where she sleeps, with blankets on and around it. Keep her out of drafts, and try to minimize noise if possible. Wash her after every feeding with baby wipes, you can also use them to get her to poop or pee.

I can't think of much else besides that. :unsmith: good luck with your tiny princess!

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Oh no, she's beautiful :unsmith: and you're already on the right track with feeding and toileting.

Please keep us updated. I'm cheering for her as hard as I can.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

No it was fairly intense, x-rays, blood tests, you name it, even the FeLV test just in case. His teeth are 100% fine but his gums are badly swollen.

Keep him on wet food for now, ideally something high-protein and high-calorie because eating's gotta be uncomfy and he needs to make the most out of whatever he gets.

Why can't you keep him inside all the time? I'm especially concerned about the trash bones; if they're poultry bones, those shatter super easily and can cut or puncture the gums. It's not remotely pleasant and can be really dangerous.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

I live with my family, mom doesn't want him inside all the time cause he starts poo poo with our oldest cat, I did wrestle the concession out of her to let him come in earlier and stay which is what I've been doing, he still finds ways to hurt himself even if I let him outside for like 2 hours or so like on Sunday.

And yea I have him on wet food, tuna as a treat and nutri cal to supplement as well.

does the older cat back down, or does she give him a firm whap? sometimes cats just need to sort out their politics on their own. A kennel might be good too, with a towel or blanket over it so it feels more secure and keeps out the drafts.

how old is Tibi, anyway? and your feeding regimen sounds really good, I haven't used nutri-cal myself but I know we have some at the Hub.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

It frustrates me because I don't give my pets human food at all, never have and never will but for some reason tibi has a taste for it, he really loving loves it, he gets incredibly aggressive if he's inside and I'm eating human food in my room and I lock him out, like he wants to get in, if my mom leaves the spoons out for serving food tibi will be up there licking them, if we leave the chicken bones out, he'll fish one out and try to get at the meat on it.

there's probably some well-meaning but irresponsible neighbor who's putting out scraps for neighborhood cats.

Feliway has worked great for me, and we spray it on pee pads at the Hub to calm cats down. that does remind me I should order a kit when I get paid, though.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

dog is broken, probably raised by a cat.

did he come in through a pet door or a window or what? present from SO? :psyduck:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Iron Crowned posted:

Congratulations on your new kitten!

time to rub feliway and catnip all over both of them and then set them loose in the living room, IMO.

also SneakyFrog you have a nice collection there! Buncha cuties if you ask me.

We aren't fostering atm because I've been sick and we're still heartbroken from Rio :( the season is nearly over tho, so I think we're gonna be sleeping well until next May.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

porkswordonboard posted:

^ Alteisen, remind us of the issue with your buddy? If it's something health-related the cat megathread (which I'm pretty sure most of us post in :)) might help more than here.

As an aside, I've been dealing with a male cat that pees on stuff for years now. The other day I sat on my favorite chair, into a PUDDLE of rank, nasty, male cat urine. Goodbye pants, goodbye underwear, goodbye huge lovely pillow that was (thank god) on top of said leather chair. Which he's peed on before. Nature's Miracle only does so much for leather...

I completely understand the feeling of "if I don't talk to someone I will strangle this cat," even though we all know we'd never hurt our pets. It's hard to feel like you're doing the best for your friend only to turn around to them, yet again, being a dick to you or your stuff. Health issues notwithstanding, dealing with the destruction of property is always very stressful.

If what you're dealing with is purely a health issue, understand that it is completely normal to get frustrated when you don't feel like what you're doing is working. It's exhausting and often very expensive. It's human to get fed up for a little bit. Us animal weirdos need to vent too and this is a good place for it. :glomp:

how old is he? also, are you sure he's totally fixed? some male cats have cryptorchidism and look like they're fixed, but their testicles are just hiding. Did Cat Attract litter help any?

Cats usually mark their favorite places with their scent, but this is usually done by rubbing their faces and sharpening their claws on whatever surface. He might be trying to mark the chair as his favorite spot.

Also, how long do you let his litter box go for? I have p bad depression and let it go sometimes and then find a pee puddle on my side of the bed. Alternatively, get multiple boxes and prime them all with cat-attract litter.

Alteisen posted:

Its his mouth, at first it was a bent tooth, we got that taken care off and he was just fine, then it was swollen gums which it still is, we managed to take care of that with fish oil since its an anti inflammatory, he was doing fine now he's acting weird again, not coming in, running from me when he's outside, I offered him some cat food and he didn't want it today, its just stressing me out, this is not an old cat, he'll be 4 on election day and I hate he has these issues, I just want him to be back to his older self again.

He has allergies issue to cause I live in this poo poo island.

poo poo island?

It sounds to me like a round of corticosteroids might be good. Ask the vet if some prednisolone or a similar steroid might help. It's stronger definitely than fish oil.

As for his behavior it sounds a lot like he's in pain, so maybe some buprenorphine would help too until your vet can figure out the swelling. The good part about bup is that it's readily absorbed by the gums and cheeks, so you don't have to fight too much to get it down him.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Alteisen posted:

My kitty was given Orbax to counter the stuff in his mouth, I assume to not let any bacterias set in due the lacerations.

Anyone heard of it? Read up on the side effects, they seem a bit lovely.

I haven't used it or heard of it before, but keep in mind that the post-approval side effect reports tend to be the stuff that's major and thus likely to be reported. Usually, cats just develop diarrhea from antibiotics. Fluroquinolones need to be taken on a full stomach (ask me about springing a nosebleed while taking Avelox on an empty stomach!), and keep an eye on him for leg weakness or pain, as they can rarely screw with tendons. If he starts acting particularly off, call the vet back.

Fluoroquinolones are mega-strong stuff, used for p bad infections. So, it sounds like his mouth was really hosed up. I'm so glad he's already doing better and will be an indoor cat from now on. Get him a nice cat tree, put a plush throw in the top bed, and he'll be good to go, I think.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

porkswordonboard posted:

Hello again friends of animals, do y'all remember Zenni? Well, it looks like she's home! The lady who rescued her decided to keep her, of course. Apparently she spins like a top when you brush her :3: (which I didn't notice as I was brushing her in a tub). Still sad I couldn't keep her myself, she's a goddamned treasure.

Look at this beautiful little girl, waiting for some chicken with her new brother:

A Good, Good Dogge...finally home.

p sure that's just a funny looking cat. we'll need more pictures to decide :kimchi:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

"You humans picked a terrible orange for president. Should've voted for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Marchegiana posted:

Happy New year! Have some kittens playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxfagSBRUMc

those cats are weapons-grade cute. Tadpole sitting there waving his paws! I'm dying :kimchi: