Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pram posted:

cucked im gay cucking

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

please don't delete yospos :ohdear:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

~Coxy posted:

modern BB software is universally pretty terrible so I'm kinda glad SA has stayed the same

i like the barely held together rented to students sharehouse vibe but its probably less amusing when its your source of income or whatever

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
lowtax should just let the goons start their own offsite webforum using their own homebrew forum software and see if THAT ever gets anywhere.

i think not my friends.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i think not my friends.

we know :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

hell most of you all seem to really hate it here, wierd why is this sub around?

dom/sub relationship

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zen death robot posted:

because it's a quarantine zone for angry nerds. do you really want us posting up a storm anywhere else?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

infernal machines posted:

because it's a quarantine zone for angry nerds. do you really want us posting up a storm anywhere else?
I'd prefer if you kept SASS on SASS.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
one can both like and enjoy the forums as well as laugh at past bad technical decisions, like they are not mutually exclusive

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
the spineless bitch thing was prob unnecessary tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

this forum has higher availability and greater uptime given the user load than software/services multibillion dollar companies crap out

not very hard to have high availability/uptime when you've only got like a dozen users tbh

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sass is mad about sa
yospos is mad about computer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mm we're more depressed about computer i think

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

pram posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
lomarf

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
realtalk i enjoy posting here about how bad sa is but i also just enjoy posting here in general, ilu lowtax :glomp:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

zen death robot posted:

i don't think you really grok the zeitgeist :smug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sa changing to some "modern" forum software is akin to chrysler trying to solve its troubles by starting to make toyotas instead

the analogy extends naturally to how stupid it is to post about it, just buy the camry and go on reddit like the rest of the world

:iiaca:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pram posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:mome:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:wth:!!
no one here is mad. we just like talking poo poo about computers. the radium stuff is computer talk so that leads everyone to talk about the forums. pram is a funny man and i dont think he should have been banned for what i read as a jokey joke

please dont delete the funny computer forum.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bloody posted:

mm we're more depressed about computer i think

hm yes i think this is more accurate, can i change my order

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I love my dead gay forums, and its cool and funny that guy got banned/owned. lomarf indeed.

:chome:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
free pram

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
with a pram of equal or greater value

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

obstipator posted:

pram is a funny man and i dont think he should have been banned for what i read as a jokey joke
:agreed: that it's not actually worthy of a ban but otoh pram getting owned by lowtax was p and we're all on a p deece six and a half figgies here so i'm not gonna complain about his :10bux:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Jabor posted:

or greater value
free pram with every shaggar

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jony ive aces posted:

free pram with every shaggar

this is not a particularly good deal, please do not get suckered folks :shobon:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

my stepdads beer posted:

please don't delete yospos :ohdear:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Necc0 posted:

so after it was all over how much did lowtax end up paying, total?

all your 5s

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sa changing to some "modern" forum software is akin to chrysler trying to solve its troubles by starting to make toyotas instead

the analogy extends naturally to how stupid it is to post about it, just buy the camry and go on reddit like the rest of the world

:iiaca:

You see, the SA forums are a lot like middle Earth

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

fishmech posted:

all your 5s

i thought you were trained to coupons & deals

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
which subforum is the shire

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lowtax posted:

You see, the SA forums are a lot like middle Earth

oh go ahead, just drive into a car analogy

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
it would be nice if there were an actual requirements document for a migration to a modern codebase

i know there's a lot of cruft and old code around and all kinds of crazy hackish behavior, but a specific audit of those things would help people understand exactly what was needed, and what could be dropped/rewritten

like, i'm sure it would be a lot of work, and a lot of dealing with databases, load balancers, everything, but that requirements document isn't impossible

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

horse mans posted:

it would be nice if there were an actual requirements document for a migration to a modern codebase

i know there's a lot of cruft and old code around and all kinds of crazy hackish behavior, but a specific audit of those things would help people understand exactly what was needed, and what could be dropped/rewritten

like, i'm sure it would be a lot of work, and a lot of dealing with databases, load balancers, everything, but that requirements document isn't impossible

lol

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

what part of my post is funny

is it the implication that the forum maintainers can't be arsed to do this work?

they've kept the lights on for a decently long time now, i give them slightly more credit than you i guess

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Why do a ton of unnecessary work for no benefit when you said yourself the forums work fine?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

emoji posted:

Why do a ton of unnecessary work for no benefit when you said yourself the forums work fine?

every part of this sentence is wrong

it's not a ton of work, the work isn't unnecssary, it would have benefit, and i didn't say the forums work fine, i said they've been maintained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

completely understandable

i didn't really assume that e.g. the latest vbulletin would have all of the functionality we needed, but there's got to be a piece of forums software that allows for sane extensibility; in which case knowing what features you have the ability to rewrite and bolt on atomically might be feasible, and unless the features are completely intertwined, work on those can be done in parallel (i'm always looking for code poo poo to work on in my spare time, and i'm sure i'm not alone)

edit: okay you answered my reply as i was writing it :-)

thanks for the work you've been doing in any event, i'm sure it's slowly but surely getting better

• Locked thread