Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So apparently the girl who is dead is still on life support is still dead but the mom keeps her brain dead corpse hooked up to life support because some shithead prolife nut told her the hospital was lying to her. Basically she went in for tonsillitis surgery and apperently ate soon after the surgery cutting stitching, so she now she is brain dead. and has been for TWO YEARS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...to-warrior.html

so now the mom lives in denial and talks about how her child will comeback any day now and takes pictures with her slowly decomposing corpse.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
this is really sad op

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I feel like that daily mail site needs more hyperlinks on it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

flerp posted:

this is really sad op

yeah, it is. I wish they would just unplug her. :( the mom and family then could finally get the proper grief therapy they need. I am curious how long they are going to keep her "alive" my guess is until the mom dies.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

The doctors lied to your mom too op when they said you weren't brain dead

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/22/can-a-brain-dead-teen-claim-religious-freedom-the-case-of-jahi-mcmath.html

apperently the religious right is championing her case and trying to rewrite laws the classify "brain death" as death.

quote:

The body of a young girl permanently occupies a hospital bed in a rental apartment in New Jersey. The letters of her name, pink and surrounded by paper butterflies, hang above her head; inspirational quotes and Bible verses are mounted on pastel-colored paper and stuck to the wall. A striped blanket hides the medical technologies that keep her in this world: There is a feeding tube surgically inserted through a hole in her stomach. There is a ventilator tube inserted through a tracheotomy in her throat.
Her mother and a 24-hour nursing staff change her diapers and turn her body from side to side to prevent her skin from developing dangerous bed sores. She cannot eat, open her eyes, speak, or leave her bed. New Jersey is the only state in the country in which this girl is not dead.
Her name is Jahi McMath and just over two years ago, after an extensive tonsillectomy, she began to hemorrhage blood and became unconscious. Doctors in her home state of California ultimately issued her a death certificate. Jahi is in New Jersey because her family refuses to accept the doctors’ assessment that she is dead. Or to be specific, because it is the specifics that are now at issue in multiple court cases at the state and federal level: Jahi McMath is, according to every doctor (not employed by her parents or lawyer) who has examined her, brain dead.

Jahi’s mother, Nailah Winkfield, says she is waiting for God to intervene. She has told the press that Jahi is improving. On Jahi’s birthday last October, the family posted on their Facebook page:
Thank you Heavenly Father for the Gift of Life, the Life You granted Jahi, a Life she so much deserves and desires to live faithfully for You through the next year and many many more years to come.

Happy Birthday Beautiful Jahi, You Are 15 today, your friends love you, your family love you, many many people worldwide love you, but most importantly God loves you.

May you, Jahi McMath receive the gift of continued healing and full recovery.

May God protect and keep you safe, showering you and your loved ones with strength, love, health of mind, body, soul and more blessings in abundance. Keep Winning, Love you always, #TeamJahi.
In all 50 states, brain dead is dead. Brain cells have never been shown to come back to life once dead. But in New Jersey, state law permits those who do not agree—those very few who have religious convictions that the heart is still the sole indicator of death, even if that heart is artificially supported—to keep their loved ones on physiological support. Some family members are willing to huddle in daily prayer for as long as a miracle takes. In this new formulation of “natural death,” the sustenance of machines becomes natural.
The difference between alive and dead may seem quite clear, yet the definition of death has changed over the past several decades because of medical advances. Death once meant the almost simultaneous cessation of heart rate, breathing, and brain function. The advent in the late 1960s and early ’70s of defibrillators and respirators, able to keep the heart and lungs functioning indefinitely, shifted the definition of death to the brain and its mysterious, complicated activities.
To address those resulting ethical questions and establish a public policy consensus, a presidential commission in 1981 concluded that “humans shall be pronounced dead when all brain functions are lost irreversibly, even if the heart and respiratory function continue.”
But problems with the commission’s statement persist. Many find that the requirement that every part of the brain be irreversibly dead for death to be pronounced ignores the fact that ancillary parts of the brain are still active after a person has ceased to exist. Other parts of the brain may survive and be detected by scans, hormonal regulations may continue despite the death of other parts of the brain. Are these “residual functions” really signs of life? And what then, is the difference between biological life and sentient life? Where in your brain do you exist? And what makes you alive? Are you alive if you grow? If you menstruate? If you recognize your mother? If you can open your eyes? Or yawn? Others have contested the very term “brain death” because it creates confusion, as though brain death is a stage and not the end. Call it what it is, they say: death.

Controversies—and all too sadly, multimedia extravaganzas—have surrounded other types of brain damage, like the medical and court cases of Karen Ann Quinlan (New Jersey, 1976), Nancy Cruzan (Missouri, 1990), and Terri Schiavo (Florida, 2005). But these women were all diagnosed with persistent vegetative state, meaning their brain stem, at least, still exhibited activity. Yet their cases all concerned removal of physiological support.
In every instance, the primary opponents of removal were Catholic leaders, whose position was later articulated by Pope John Paul II, and their “pro-life” allies, who had built at least part of their political platform on opposition to women’s medical privacy.
Terri Schiavo’s legacy can still be felt. She had been kept on a feeding tube for more than 15 years as her husband, Michael, and her family, the Schindlers, contested her status and health in the courts. Finally, a Florida judge ruled that her feeding tube could be removed and she died on March 31, 2005, but not before a media spectacle that involved the governor of Florida, state senators, and the sitting president. After her death, the Schindlers, devout Catholics who considered Terri to be severely disabled, looked for a way to help others in their situation. As Bobby Schindler, Terri’s brother, wrote last year:
“After Terri died, my family’s experience, contesting this powerful right-to-die movement, led us to establish the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network, which seeks to raise public awareness of the looming culture of death, and to educate the public about care potentialities. Most importantly, however, is to help families in situations similar to what we experienced—loved ones in danger of being killed, like Terri.”
Bobby Schindler is now president of the organization and a full-time advocate for “pro-life” ideals. His work has been endorsed by Catholic archbishops and evangelical leaders alike. And it is because of Bobby Schindler and the Life & Hope Network that Jahi McMath is in a hospital bed in an apartment in New Jersey.
After the news broke that McMath’s parents refused to remove her ventilator, they got in touch with Schindler, who helped the parents find a suitable facility for their daughter. New Jersey, because of the state’s religious exemption for brain death, was the ideal choice. Cases like Jahi’s are incredibly rare. But they are often fueled by political and religious ideologies that conflict with standard medical practice. State laws, which govern how those ideologies are applied to individual cases, are now at the heart of a series of lawsuits; if her parents can prove she is alive, if they can invalidate the California death certificate, they can return to their home state and receive funding for their daughter’s continued treatment.

Jahi was only 13 years old at the time of her fatal operation. Now, two years later, doctors are concerned that public perception will be muddled or swayed regarding the general medical definition of brain death. Already Bobby Schindler has conflated his deceased sister’s illness with Jahi’s in an article for Time magazine. Doctors and bioethicists have been busy with brain-death conferences the past two years, asking their colleagues what Jahi’s case bodes for their ethical standards.
But religious actors have found a compelling issue in a young child, her desperate and grief-torn parents rightly skeptical of the hospital and doctors whose treatment has harmed their daughter. If the Jahi case results in California rescinding the girl’s death certificate, we may see a broader political push for religious exemptions from certain kinds of deaths. The ramifications are hard to predict. In January, a California judge issued a tentative ruling that allows Jahi’s family the chance to prove that she is alive. Either they will have to present medical information that contests Jahi’s brain-death diagnosis, meaning her brain death was a diagnostic error, or they will have to show that brain death is not death. Either would will be, for the family of Jahi McMath, some kind of miracle.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember Huckabee and Jeb Bush could tell Schiavo was brain active and sending messages out by looking at a TV recording of her.

Get these two on your case Mrs and your kid will live forever

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
drat I hope that was a good meal at least

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Was a kit Kat bar. Kid just needed a break

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
Having your throat scratched hard enough to cause intense internal rupturing is terrifying and I'm glad my tonsils and adenoids were removed with incident 9 years ago. It's pretty easy to see why the mother is desperately holding onto the hope that her kid isn't gone forever because she had a snack, though.

e: holy poo poo OP, you probably should have mentioned this girl has been gone for two YEARS, I was expecting it to be like a couple months or something

TheRecogScene fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 21, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tonsil surgery is way way worse than it seems like it should be. I got mine out in December and I'm still dealing with some of the after effects. She must have hemorrhaged something fierce. This is sad as hell.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004
Thanks for sharing this really sad story and adding all your dripping contempt to it, really spices up the flavor.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I was gonna make one of those "um, beautiful? let's see: buck teeth, average skin/hair, can't even see her eyes, is technically dead. 4/10" jokes but then I remembered she's still a kid so I'm not gonna make that tasteless joke

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ahaha

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heath posted:

Tonsil surgery is way way worse than it seems like it should be. I got mine out in December and I'm still dealing with some of the after effects. She must have hemorrhaged something fierce. This is sad as hell.

Gatekeeper posted:

I was gonna make one of those "um, beautiful? let's see: buck teeth, average skin/hair, can't even see her eyes, is technically dead. 4/10" jokes but then I remembered she's still a kid so I'm not gonna make that tasteless joke

yeah. I am not making fun of the kid(well as much) its lovely ZOMbaby like situation. the mom is in denial and turned to lovely fundy nuts who feed her false hope and sweet nothings while she keeps the dead girls body sorta functioning. Basicaly she got the body taken to a religious hospital so it will never be taken of the off life support. and she is going to just sit their until the mom dies.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 21, 2016

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
The way I would like to be known and remembered is through pictures of me in a persistent vegetative state, especially if those pictures are widely disseminated by media covering the legal battle to unplug my corpse.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
corpse mama is pretty fine tho she could "unplug" my "breathing apparatus" iykwim (aiktyd)

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
Where is the money coming from? Because there is certainly no insurance company on earth that is going to keep paying the bills once there's a death certificate, no matter how many miracles are expected. Like I could see a fundie gofundme working for a couple months but 24/7 nursing for a vented tubes body ain't cheap.

And on that note they must be doing a STELLAR job with the nursing, because again there's no hospital on earth that is going to accept a corpse for inpatient admission, and 2 years without a severe infection or a g-tube malfunction for a motionless, trached body is impressive.

That being said the fact that it's been 2 years does suggest that maybe there is some brain stem function left, because totally brain dead people usually become hemodynamically unstable from the loss of central blood pressure regulation. Brain death exams are 100% sensitive and specific in the studies, but if enough of them are done eventually you might accidentally declare a person who still has a couple reptilian neurons firing. Chance of recovery obviously still 0% though.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Bleak Gremlin
Also by the way if you are ever in a situation in which a loved one is not brain dead but looking at needing a trach and a PEG for anything other than head and neck cancer with a defined treatment plan, don't let it happen. That is one of those "fates worse than death" that you hear about.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RolandTower posted:

Also by the way if you are ever in a situation in which a loved one is not brain dead but looking at needing a trach and a PEG for anything other than head and neck cancer with a defined treatment plan, don't let it happen. That is one of those "fates worse than death" that you hear about.

I loving hope she's braindead...

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i bet if nobody else was around Huckabee would try to sneak into her room to give her a hot dickin and then prob have a heart attack and drop dead on top of her

pls note: my comments still arent as remotely classless as taking selfies with ur braindead relative on their deathbed and then allowing them to be published on the internet

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 21, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
cuck

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 21, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

RolandTower posted:

Where is the money coming from? Because there is certainly no insurance company on earth that is going to keep paying the bills once there's a death certificate, no matter how many miracles are expected.
That's a really good question, I thought it was in the UK since it's daily mail but it's in California

AugmentedVision fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 21, 2016

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Bleak Gremlin

Cumslut1895 posted:

I loving hope she's braindead...

Please note that there is a huge gap between "brain dead" and "aware on any level of what is happening." 100% of the brain that handles sensory input, motor output, and thought can be dead, but if you have enough brain stem neurons left that it is possible to demonstrate a reflex that had to travel above the spinal chord, you are not brain dead.

The person Jahi McMath is dead. She is almost certainly truly brain dead and just an anomaly in terms of her stability on life support. However I would not 100% rule out that she still has some portion of the brain stem regulating her blood pressure, which would technically make her not brain dead. The chance she has awareness or can recover is 0% either way.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
does the family also ooh and ahh when they witness her filling her diaper in addition to twitching her foot?? pull the goddamn plug u ignorant loving ghouls

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
they should just let her go to heaven

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I still have my tonsils, but its good to know you shouldn't eat after having them removed.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Jahi McMath sounds like a character from game of thrones

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hell Yeah posted:

Jahi McMath sounds like a character from game of thrones

Or an educational show about math for kids.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Microwaves Mom posted:

I still have my tonsils, but its good to know you shouldn't eat after having them removed.

I had my tonsils removed and didn't want to eat for like 2 weeks because I felt like poo poo. Parents had to force powerade and stuff on me so I didn't lose electrolytes or whatever. I can't drink them now because of that.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I hope the snack was tasty

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cowman posted:

I had my tonsils removed and didn't want to eat for like 2 weeks because I felt like poo poo. Parents had to force powerade and stuff on me so I didn't lose electrolytes or whatever. I can't drink them now because of that.

What can you eat after tonsils removed? Like are you even allowed to drink water?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mariana Horchata posted:

does the family also ooh and ahh when they witness her filling her diaper in addition to twitching her foot?? pull the goddamn plug u ignorant loving ghouls

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9LYZHF6P3GB6OQEcxh2aXg
here is the law firm representing the body. they have tons of videos showing "evidence".
yeah they do.

Microwaves Mom posted:

What can you eat after tonsils removed? Like are you even allowed to drink water?

only very soft poo poo. my guess is mom didnt pay attention and fed her crackers/chips.

RolandTower posted:

Where is the money coming from? Because there is certainly no insurance company on earth that is going to keep paying the bills once there's a death certificate, no matter how many miracles are expected. Like I could see a fundie gofundme working for a couple months but 24/7 nursing for a vented tubes body ain't cheap.

And on that note they must be doing a STELLAR job with the nursing, because again there's no hospital on earth that is going to accept a corpse for inpatient admission, and 2 years without a severe infection or a g-tube malfunction for a motionless, trached body is impressive.

That being said the fact that it's been 2 years does suggest that maybe there is some brain stem function left, because totally brain dead people usually become hemodynamically unstable from the loss of central blood pressure regulation. Brain death exams are 100% sensitive and specific in the studies, but if enough of them are done eventually you might accidentally declare a person who still has a couple reptilian neurons firing. Chance of recovery obviously still 0% though.

from what i can tell, its a charity/christian hospital. I am sure they are either on charity/welfare or fundy welfare.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
This is a comedy forum OP

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Terri schaivo was sexier imho.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
:smithcloud:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
hang on a minute imma let you finish but first lemme drop these sick beats

https://youtu.be/B9-0WxQp2wA

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

That's a really good question, I thought it was in the UK since it's daily mail but it's in California

California said she was dead, Mom moved the body to a religious hospital in New Jersey because they don't think brain dead is dead there.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

dreezy posted:

Terri schaivo was sexier imho.

Set your clocks goons, only three more years and she's legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
so who is footing the hospital bill to keep the brain dead hippo technically alive?

• Locked thread