Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like all things X-Men, ESPECIALLY X-Men of that era, it builds on everything that came before. 17 issues isn't really a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And games with Dark Souls.

It used to be Dwarf Fortress or Mount and Blade.

"I want a Space Empire Builder."
"You should play Mount and Blade"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And games with Dark Souls.

I remember for a period Book Barn would relentlessly recommend Song of Ice and Fire to everyone even if they explicitly said "I hate everything that even remotely resembles medieval fantasy"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Let's bring this all back but with Nancy.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

twistedmentat posted:

It used to be Dwarf Fortress or Mount and Blade.

"I want a Space Empire Builder."
"You should play Mount and Blade"

My favorite Dwarf Fortress memory is seeing people recommend it as a great time killer, "5 minutes here and there" kind of game.

It's the greatest time killer!... With like an hour of prerequisite reading/watching before you play.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrProsek posted:

My favorite Dwarf Fortress memory is seeing people recommend it as a great time killer, "5 minutes here and there" kind of game.

It's the greatest time killer!... With like an hour of prerequisite reading/watching before you play.

Hah, yea, I remember thinking about trying it because it was so recommended, and looking at the mountains of pre game stuff you had to go over and just said forget it.

I bought my very first statue today, the Magik ArtFx one. Basically, all I've wanted have been either way to expensive, or just non-existent. This is the first time one was in my price range. Though now I feel obliged just to get Cyclops and Emma to recreate that Uncanny X-men cover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The art on Ultimates #6 :stare:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-previews-unbeatable-squirrel-girl-7-hyperion-5-astonishing-ant-man-7

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
So I'm guessing that's Master Order that Galactus is punching in the face? What a rebel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been catching up on this month's Marvel books, specifically the Standoff stuff and I feel like i've missed something.

Why are there two Maria Hill's?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Rhyno posted:

Been catching up on this month's Marvel books, specifically the Standoff stuff and I feel like i've missed something.

Why are there two Maria Hill's?

Clone, LMD or long-lost twin? Taking all bets!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

plainswalker75 posted:

Clone, LMD or long-lost twin? Taking all bets!

Created by the living cosmic cube as hinted by the last page

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is Pleasant Hill all in crucial chapters? The only comic I'll be reading between the bookends will the Captain America, so I'll probably be lost at the end.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

My god, it's beautiful. They can just do 21 pages of that from different angles, I won't complain.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is Pleasant Hill all in crucial chapters? The only comic I'll be reading between the bookends will the Captain America, so I'll probably be lost at the end.

I'd say that yeah, you'll be lost if you don't at least read the Avengers books. So far I think it hasn't been too bad, but now that all the teams are meeting up it'll probably get jumbled together where you have to follow each chapter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It looks like ANAD Avengers vs Uncanny Avengers, and New Avengers vs Agents of SHIELD. I'm only reading the first of each of those pairs and it's not so bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Created by the living cosmic cube as hinted by the last page

The last page of which issue?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

quote:

Jake Thomas: Err, uh... Kamose1234, you might want to sit down for this. Sadly, things haven't worked out so well for StarKat. In the most recent arc of Guardians of the Galaxy we saw that Peter and Kitty had split up in the time jump after "Secret Wars." Both the current "Guardians" and "Star-Lord" books are dealing with the whens, whys, and fallout of the Kitty/Peter split, so if you're curious, you can find the rest of the story there. But if you need a moment to collect yourself, we understand. We miss StarKat, too.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/x-position-marvels-x-editors-tease-civil-war-ii-showdown-tackle-big-questions

Don't know if anyone else cares about this (I want a superhero space wedding, drat it), but I went back and re-read GotG #6 as I didn't even realise that Kitty and Peter had broken up post SW. I just didn't take the 'I lost my friends' and 'I lost you' lines as anything other than Peter beating himself about Spartax getting hosed up. Was this me being dumb?
Having recently read Ultimate Spider-Man, at least I know that Bendis does put his couples through the ringer so there is still hope for my space wedding. Their whole scenes in GotG #6 seem pretty low-key though, since while they're obviously busy, they don't particularly act very differently, even for an amicable break-up, and they don't actually talk about it as they immediately go on to discussing her terrible taste in costumes, which is a part of her cheering him up.

Also, even allowing for 8 months post-SW they were not engaged for very long, though Peter was still very much into Kitty in their SW mini after he got scattered in Battleworld, so he must really have been bad at ruling Spartax.

I also thought that the new Star-Lord book was focusing on his early years in space, so I'm a bit confused that the other story is dealing with their breakup?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Unless they're just going to straight up put Kitty with Illyana or Rachael, whats the point of breaking her and Peter up? I thought it worked really well.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
How can she hook up with every writer's proxy if she's stuck in a relationship?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's most likely that Quill has a love interest in GotG2 and they need SYNERGY.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Rhyno posted:

The last page of which issue?

I also have this question. Unless the implication is being drawn from the Tommy Westphall homage in All-New Avengers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
edit: wrong thread!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 29, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanted.

It's Wanted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Thank god, what a stupid relationship that was.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but that'd be a hell of a synergy Marvel has going if Venom, Thing, and Kitty are members of the GotG but the characters being introduced in GotG2 are nowhere to be seen, Nebula isn't around and isn't Gamora's sister, but Starlord's love interest is kept consistent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mantis is going to be Peter's love interest and Englehart is taking over the comic. But he kills off Peter two issues into his run because he's not good enough for Mantis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but that'd be a hell of a synergy Marvel has going if Venom, Thing, and Kitty are members of the GotG but the characters being introduced in GotG2 are nowhere to be seen, Nebula isn't around and isn't Gamora's sister, but Starlord's love interest is kept consistent.

They did completely change Peter's appearance, history and personality to match the film and you think changing who he dates is a bit much?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They did completely change Peter's appearance, history and personality to match the film and you think changing who he dates is a bit much?

I would put money on the table that that isn't synergy, it's Bendis seeing a rough cut of the movie and deciding he wants to write him without doing any research on the character in the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I would put money on the table that that isn't synergy, it's Bendis seeing a rough cut of the movie and deciding he wants to write him without doing any research on the character in the comics.

When Bendis brought the GotG into Avengers Assemble it was pretty respectful of what came before. The first year of their own new series built upon that. Then we got close to movie time so everything related to Star-Lord's history got chuck out the window.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

How many guys named Peter has Kitty dated? Are there any left?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

head58 posted:

How many guys named Peter has Kitty dated?

If alternate universes count? At least 4.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When Bendis brought the GotG into Avengers Assemble it was pretty respectful of what came before. The first year of their own new series built upon that. Then we got close to movie time so everything related to Star-Lord's history got chuck out the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CN6ZKezhc

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Kitty Pryde so omnipresent in Marvel books? I only liked her in Excalibur and Doop.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Fsmhunk posted:

Why is Kitty Pryde so omnipresent in Marvel books? I only liked her in Excalibur and Doop.

I think it's because lots of current comic book writers read X-Men as teenagers and now they can finally act out the fanfiction they wrote way back then. And also they all want to bang Kitty. She was like the sex symbol for an entire adolescent generation or some poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kitty Pryde despite not being a sex bomb like some other X-characters was written as the ultimate perfect girlfriend. Whedon and Bendis have openly admitted that she's their comic book mega-crush to this day, and I'm sure many others their age feel the same.

Which is dumb because Jubes is where it's at.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

About half the current Guardians of the Galaxy are characters who aren't in the GotG movies, characters who are being added to the movies aren't around in comics, and there are so many other film characters whose comics status quo is totally out of sync with the films, but you think Peter's love life is the one place Marvel demands the comics and films stay in sync?

I can believe Marvel made a onetime change to Peter to make the movie and comics version more noticeably the same character but Marvel hasn't been keeping the film and comics in sync too closely for any other characters in the Marvel movies.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

Give it another 5 years or so and the Jubilee generation will seize the day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

plainswalker75 posted:

I also have this question. Unless the implication is being drawn from the Tommy Westphall homage in All-New Avengers.

Yeah that's were I am getting the assumption. It's a cosmic cube and that fucken thing can do anything

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Lurdiak posted:

This guy gets it. Is she still a vampire raising a kid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

This guy gets it. Is she still a vampire raising a kid?

Who the gently caress knows. Nobody at Marvel gives a poo poo.

• Locked thread