Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Covok posted:

How does Cable exist, by the way? The Days of Future's Past storyline was stopped so should he just fade into nothingness?

For the first 30 years or so of Marvel's existence, the official in-universe rule on time travel was that if you go back and change something, you don't change your original timeline. You just split off a new alternate continuity in which your change was made, or more rarely, it turns out that you having gone back in the first place was always part of the original history. It was an explanation used to explain why, for example, Ben Grimm never went back in time to prevent himself from getting on Reed's rocket, despite having a couple of different ways to travel in time readily at hand.

In the '90s, Legion was apparently powerful enough to bypass that rule and that's how you get the "Age of Apocalypse" story. Since then, there's been some amount of official confusion regarding how effective time travel is as a change agent, which Al Ewing tried to discuss and deal with in his recent Ultimates runs. (There's apparently a bit of Doom tech that makes it possible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I thought "Nothing can Stop the Juggernoodle" was a good gag, but yeah, there's something precious and twee about Spencer's Spider-Man that I don't really care for.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When did Marvel take Thor from his "Warrior Born" personality and turn him into the Norse Party Boy? Reading back through old Thor comics there isn't really a lot of him getting drunk as poo poo as Aaron writes him. Is there a specific point where that changed? I don't even recall it being a thing in the JMS run.

I remember there being occasional moments of Thor liking to party when he was off the clock going as far back as Mark Waid's second run on Captain America, immediately post-"Heroes Reborn."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

although I just realized a bit of a plothole, Deadpool clearly wanted to die, and since the issue started off with him on Nowhere that means he had some sort of access to a spaceship, so why didn't he just fly it into the sun or something?

The first few pages of the book are a flashback to a previous arc where Wade was in space for a while.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'd read Kelly Thompson's Spider-Man. I'm not sure if that would make her the first woman on ASM (I'm sure there has to have been a Nocenti or Mary Jo Duffy story somewhere in there), but she couldn't be more than the fourth or fifth.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

EvilJay posted:

That being said: None of this--and I know this was not your point-- explains why Deadpool is suddenly an rear end in a top hat to everyone and Steve is just not only forgiven but tasked and OK with tracking down the man who only carried out the orders he thought came from the REAL Steve and not Stevil or Nazsteve (both are great names). From Deadpool's POV 'Captain America' gave him a job and he did it without question. I think it's messed up that Wade has to be tried in court for his actions when Steve is not only automatically exonerated but somehow cleared to testify against him.

I just went through a couple of the last few issues to refresh my memory, and it is explained. Rogue flat-out says it to him: they want to bring him in because he worked for HYDRA, but they're willing to take it easy on him. It's basically just a formality.

Wade evades capture in order to perform several hits on Stryfe's behalf, as otherwise, Stryfe will kill his daughter Ellie. On top of that, Wade's doing his usual self-sabotage schtick out of guilt, both over what he did for HYDRA and the people Stryfe is having him take out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It was Ellis. A goon bought him an account and he posted for a few weeks. Then he had one of his famous hard drive crashes and lost his password or something and never returned.

No, I remember that. Somebody made a joke at his expense, he said "We're done here, then?" and never posted again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bomber-jacket Sersi was the only one who came out of that looking good.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I first heard of Turner D. Century in the OHOMTU, when he was one of the 18 characters in the "Deceased" volume where they all had filler art depicting a panel, which never actually appeared in any comic, of Scourge shooting them with a machine gun.

I wonder how many characters in that particular massacre actually stayed dead.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I really REALLY hope Marvel lets Chad Bowers do a full Darkhawk series. Today's Infinity Countdown tie-in was probably the best comic I've read in a very long time.

I liked the art, but it's a little funny how far Miranda's model drifted between issues. Granted, most of it is just stylistic, going from Kev Walker to a dude who's either heavily influenced by manhwa, or actually is a manhwa artist; Lim doesn't have enough web presence for me to tell one way or the other.

Also, cool to see one of the Code: Blue guys show up again out of nowhere. This may sound like I'm damning them with faint praise, but I thought that was probably the best bit out of DeFalco's Thor run.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't activated charcoal a scam and actually bad for you?

It's actually not bad for things like gas or halitosis, and eating activated charcoal is a treatment option for several kinds of poison and toxin exposure. It can absorb substances from your system before they're absorbed and then get harmlessly excreted.

However, that also means that it can absorb any medication you're on before it finishes working, such as antidepressants or birth control. Just taking activated charcoal for the sheer hell of it, or as part of a "cleanse," can cause more problems and solve none.

That being said, if somebody's just using enough of it so it's basically food coloring, I don't think it'd cause any problems. I know that using charcoal as a treatment regimen means you have to pound it by the spoonful.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TheHan posted:

Spider-Man #800 really drove home that Norman Osborne and Aunt May are my least favorite characters in all of Spider-Man. Every five pages Norman’s just going “Hahaha! I killed Gwen Stacey! Remember that? Sure do love BRIDGES! Boy I could go for tossing a blonde or two around right now!” You’d think it’s all he ever does.

Yeah, #800 is very much a microcosm of everything that was flawed about Slott's run. I think he touched on every character he introduced or used, even if it was just for a couple of incidental panels; he killed a(nother) major supporting character on his way out the door; and he was really slavish about referencing the history of the title character without really adding anything to it. It's just a series of shout-outs, written for people who enjoy being in on continuity in-jokes more than they like reading a story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

American superhero comics do have a proud tradition of anywhere from subtle to blatant theft of whatever else is going on in pop culture at the time, but yeah, a self-conscious "Doctor Who" pastiche at what might be the height of the show's international popularity did seem a little too on the nose.

It wasn't bad for all that, but I'm on the team that says the Allreds carried that book across the finish line.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The thing with Wolverine's claws reminds me of the old Millennial Visions book from around 2000, where every second pitch seemed to involve something weird changing with one or more of the characters involved. Now Wolverine's got Adamantium teeth! Jean Grey's in a wheelchair! Rogue has permanently acquired more powers!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I kinda bummed myself out on Wednesday by reading Immortal Hulk and Batman one after the other. Just kind of a bleak way to start my new comic book day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Argue posted:

Wait, what was up with that random not-Infinity Stone Miles had? Is this from another comic? Seems like a weird thing to randomly introduce and drop in a single page there.

I thought the joke was that Miles thought he had one, but it clearly wasn't one.

• Locked thread