Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I'm curious how long it takes for Karnak to get to six issues and then canceled.

Ellis just needs to stop working with all these slow artists! Just so many slow artists.

Motherfucker needs to write more Fell, sllow art and unreliable hard drives be damned! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dunno how everyone else found it but as the parent of a 3 week old baby Spiderwoman #5 was pretty loving amazing

Congrats! :glomp:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Please stop posting spoilers for Identity Crisis 2.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

While I realize this was a joke, they totally can! I believe there was an A/T thread (or maybe just a thread diversion) awhile back with a blind person who posts/ed here. There's machines that hook up to your computer and output Braille for blind people to read. We even played with various formats to see what it could do. Spoiler text, for instance, just showed up as regular text to him.

Yeah but BSS probably doesn't have a lot of blind goons. Hopefully more than TFR and AI, but about the same as like project.log or Coupons.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

site posted:

Hasn't Xavier dying been a gimmick since like the 80s

Twice a year, the managing editor for the X-office flips a coin four times to determine if Xavier spends the next six months alive or dead, with the X-men or off to find himself, paraplegic or ambulatory, and powered or powerless.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

"Garbage" steak is still good for lots of things.

?????

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Banshee's been dead for roundabout a decade by now, unless smacking his corpse with something called a "death seed" has extremely counterintuitive outcomes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A little child believed in him and told him to be Captain America again, and the strength of that child's naïve wish gave him back his Super Soldier juices.

Also the child was a cosmic cube, in girl shape—a cosmic kid, if you will.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

We could also call her a "cosmic cub".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Doom's probably a Chicago style guy.

He'd have to be, since you know Reed is New York style.

There's no way he likes Chicago "pizza". He might be evil, but he's one of his world's finest minds.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Consider carefully if you want to call that era of X-men great when two of the three main books were written by Chuck Austen and Modern Chris Claremont.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm surprised that Jurgens has done anything notably bad. He's the Median Comics Creator in my mind: both his writing and art sit in the middle of the quality scale. He's the ling pf generic superhero comics. I'd be just as surprised if you told me he had done a blow-your-rear end-up excellent run on anything.

For reference, directly below Mid-Level Jurgens is the DeFalco Zone, and directly above him is the Marv Wolfman Zone.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How in the gently caress did my brain decide to write Marv Wolfman when I was thinking of Mark Gruenwald, the obvious choice for above-average but still apt to leave your rear end unblown-up comics? :catdrugs:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, but good in the "this is a fine genre story, told well" way, not in the "I could see reading this in a course not specifically about superheroes or comics" way.

Although a good friend of mine spent a bunch of semesters using the Dark Phoenix Saga, Star Trek, and kung fu movies to teach his undergrads about Foucault, so who even knows.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Oh my god this goes all the way up to Endless Mike.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Looks to me like some minimalist styling for Dagger's costume cutout. With the interest boost from Beaton, they're probably fast-tracking a Dagger's Visible Boobs series.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah the Sentry was cool and good until he actually entered the main MU. The early minis with him and various specials were interesting. Didn't Bendis muck the character up?

Bendis was all about using his Avengers books to raise the visibility of new characters for a while: Sentry, Marvel Boy, the Hood, etc. Except he's Bendis, and his skill runs more toward depicting emotional/social dynamics than in anything resembling consistent continuity. His portrayals were rarely consistent with the previous portrayals if the characters, and at times inconsistent with Bendis's own earlier portrayals.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I want a Venomm and Karnaj team-up, possibly involving Spider-Man overhearing a report on it as it happens (while he's visiting Wakanda I guess?) and waaaaaaaaaay overreacting.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dumping on Connecticut is right and proper. The only purpose Connecticut serves is keeping Rhode Island from touching anything important.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I like this article and it makes some good points.

I was honestly pretty blase about this whole thing until I thought about this perspective. It's not a perspective I have, but it's one I can respect. So, I'm glad I read it.

Eeeeh, I could get behind that idea if it were attached to actual reality at more than one point. Nazis and Nazism can represent a whole bunch of things, from the Holocaust to bigotry in general to Evil Germans to the enemy from the Last Good War. Nazis have been stock villains since before the US entered the war, and I'd say that culture decided they could be used casually sometime before a guy won two Emmy awards for playing Colonel Klink in 168 episodes of Hogan's Heroes, and The Producers won roughly every Tony on Earth for regaling us with the japes and follies of Springtime for Hitler.

It's obviously fine not to like a thing, and it's also fine to just feel that something rubs you the wrong way, but imo it's silly to pull a "No, it's the children who are wrong" and claim that it's outrageous to use Nazis in light pop fiction, when it's been so bland and unmoving as to be cliché by the time Indiana Jones did it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I think the issue is compounded because there's been a sort of casual flirtation with "cool Nazis" in genre media recently and it's starting to make the Jewish community really uncomfortable.

An instance that comes to mind is when you take Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, erase their Jewish heritage, and have them willingly work for Hydra -- in-universe associated with Nazis -- in your big summer blockbuster film, without even thinking for a second about how problematic that is, and feels like a direct insult to Jewish representation.

Which just reminds me of the horrid AXIS storyline that reamed out Holocaust survivor Magneto for daring to hate and kill Holocaust perpetrator Red Skull.

So, like, Marvel -- or Kevin Feige or Joss Whedon or what have you -- have historically proven themselves to be really tone-deaf, if not outright loving offensive, when it comes to dealing with Jewish sensibilities and people are starting to notice. I think instances like those are coloring people's initial reactions to this Captain America story, because on the surface "Steve was secretly a part of Hydra even from way back in WWII" as some sort of hyped up clickbait storyline really just comes across like Marvel being really obtuse about this poo poo again.

As true as that might be, I don't think that's a thought process anyone went through before formulating their reaction to this. It was more like "This is some anti-Semitic garbage" "It's literally a stock plot, to the point that Lee and Kirby themselves used it; check out this comedy panel of Hitler and chair" "I'm still feeling worked-up so my brain is going to try to attach a logical reason to that feeling, even if it's not remotely what motivated the feeling initially".

(Dialogue credit: C. Claremont.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah but it would own bones to be able to send someone around to prevent or even mitigate the immediate impact of the criming/disaster. And even if it advanced to the point of pre-crime detention, arrests have always been based on fallible analysis of imperfect knowledge. That's (in theory) why there are trials afterward. A decently-accurate pre-crime mindlord could provide cause to at least get a warrant to search for hard evidence of things that involve intention and planning, plus the aforementioned ability to intervene to stop accidents/disasters/crimes of passion.

It's not a whole lot different from pervasive surveillance with strong predictive analysis of the surveiled information—except it removes the creepy surveillance part.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There's a significant difference between fallible evidence and literally unprovable evidence.

Also "someone is literally spying on you through precognition or telepathy" isn't less creepy than surveillance.

Depends how it works. The newspaper from the hit CBS primetime blandfest Early Edition wasn't creepy. If the powers are literally mental flashes of the next week's police reports, that's not creepy. If they're visions specifically of deaths or violence or psychic traumas or w/e, that's not creepy to me. If it's just the ability to watch people, at will, with psychic remote viewing, but time-displaced—that's both creepy and too many commas.

Even if the predictions end up intrusive by, like, predicting suicides or domestic violence or other "in the home" things, I'm not entirely averse to that. It all depends what sort of system is built to handle it, and how well the people involved apply that system.

And for things like plotting to murder someone, you actually could prove stuff to within a reasonable degree of certainty. Record the mento-crimestopper's prediction, and seal it the recording. On the basis of that prediction, request a search warrant. Send officers who don't know all of the most specific details of the prediction to execute the warrant. If what they find is in perfect accord with the details of the prediction—details unknown to them, remember, because the prediction has been sealed—then you move forward with charges.

As a nice bonus, people end up with charges about attempting or conspiring to do a thing, instead of the harsher charges/penalties associated with doing those things.

We already live in a world where we handle crime by trying to reconstruct the past based on imperfect understanding of limited evidence. I'm Ok with the hypothetical scenario of trying to construct a model of the future based on strong, testably-accurate evidence, provided that: it's no less accurate than the existing retroactive methods; the application is overwhelmingly preventative instead of punitive; where it does become punitive, the same strong standards of proof are applied as to post-crime law; and that punitive action be based on conspiracy/plotting type charges instead of the charges associated with actually doing the thing in question.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This really isn't a new thing. Minority Report already did this and showed how even that can be flawed.

Edit: And even in Minority Report is relies on the existence of three different precogs and that really emphasizes the flaw there. For precognition to work it means the future has to be changeable and if the future is changeable then precognition is already inherently flawed,

That's a problem in application, not a problem in principle. Good record-keeping, strong and independent auditing, and timely release of records to the public would all do a lot to mitigate the problem of unacknowledged "minority reports". Get a big bank of psychics/run the model through the crimeputer tens of thousands of times. If a murder has, say, a 30% chance of happening, send an officer around to knock on a door or sit around conspicuously, keeping an eye on things. At 50%, idk, get a search warrant or put someone in detention for 24 hours or send some therapists in—something appropriate based on the predictions. At 80%, scale up a bit more, and so on. For smaller crimes, demand stronger probabilities before acting. For disasters (earthquakes, e.g.), evacuate the area or (for bridge collapse, e.g.) try to fix the underlying issue beforehand.

The future being changeable doesn't mean that you can't rule certain future events in or out of possibility, or at least ranges of probability. It's probably not going to snow here tomorrow, but it's technically possible. I'm not foolish for planting my garden today, or for putting my winter clothes in storage. Even it does snow tomorrow, I wasn't wrong to act reasonably based on the overwhelming possibly based on the information available, especially given the accuracy of that kind of information in the past.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This is now assuming infinite money, multiple reliable sources of information, and no corruption which isn't something Civil War II is suggesting in any case.

If you're arguing about the theoretical world of no-corruption perfect-prediction then it becomes arguably a different story but also an entirely meaningless one and it isn't the one either Minority Report or Civil War II (or any of these similar kinds of pre-crime stories) deal with.

Real-world police (as an aggregate) are over-armed, racist, and insufficiently accountable, but I still think that having a police force is preferable to libertarian dystopia. I want better accountability, transparency, and culture of policing. Those don't require infinite money. Paying for bodycams and a bunch of SSDs to store footage, instead of MRAPs and stingrays, would I assume/hope be close to budget-neutral. Properly employed, they'd also cut down on corruption (or at least wouldn't enable it).

And again, sources of information don't have to be perfect. They have to be testable and generally reliable. Law already works on imperfect information. A system that is at least as accurate, which prevents suffering instead of reacting to it, and which naturally inclines toward rehabilitation instead of punishment—that's an across-the-board win.

And Marvel has said over and over that they want the comic to provoke consideration of real-world issues, so I think this conversation is preferable to talking about the stacked deck in the story. :colbert: Ulysses being a black box with a shallow record of accuracy makes him an obvious bad basis for anything more important than low-dollar sports betting.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Inhumans are the replacement mutants, they are already a straight-up improvement in terms of characters who act as the team bus. MUTANTS: blonde girl w/ demon sword, pink-haired Welsh girl girl w/ demon sword, blue demon-y guy who likes swords; INHUMANS: Lockjaw, Eldrac the Door.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eldrac should make out with Hub the Living Engine.

They should kiss, with their Inhuman tongues.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eldrac Elfacts:
  • As the Living Door, is technically more successful than Jim Morrison
  • Once had a ro-body that gave him Kool-Aid Man powers:

• Did not think things through completely before practicing this party trick
  • Probably the most versatile teleportation person/device in the Marvel universe
  • Qualifies for rating as a MODOK:

MODOK LEVEL: 0.6 tarletons
    CREEPY -3 ◽◽⬛🔸◾◾◾ +3 COMEDIC
    -1: MILDLY CREEPY
  • Ride-or-die bros with Lockjaw
  • For real needs to make out with Hub, like on Easter Island maybe

e: aaaauuuugh code block not liking emoji

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 11, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't know if it's a must read work, but Gerber's Omega the Unknown is short, not overwhelmingly '70s, and interesting as heck. Pair it with his Howard the Duck #16, and you have a good look at a fascinating dude.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't care what it takes, just so long as Laura hooks up with young Jean and Old Man Logan has a perpetual thousand-yard stare and deeply furrowed brow after he finds out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ms. Marvel, probably.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Except that it's good, which I refuse to believe a Red Tornado story could be.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So is the story literally pre-emptive arrest vs. you hurt my pal? :psyduck:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Better than the reality show presidency would, at least.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Marvel's Binary mode is :krad: because it means she can go Super Saiyan, but sparkly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bill wasn't a replacement, he was a bro. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

We see Old Man Thor Odinson with the classic Mjolnir. Making the significant assumption that Aaron knew that the Ultimate Mjolnir was showing up and hasn't changed plans, I'm guessing that eventually Odinson ends up with his original hammer and Thor Jane Foster ends up with the U-Thor axe-hammer. She might get a new costume with it, as well, so that they can sell another round of Thor Jane action figures.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

U-Thor's powers worked differently, didn't they? A hammer swap might let Jane keep a-thunderin' without dying of the cancer.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

I hadn't seen this mentioned, and well, it sure is timely and topical to this here Cap discussion:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gay-captain-america-xxx-parody_us_5772bc91e4b0352fed3e092e

Probably don't click if you're working the front desk at LifeWay.

If the action choreography is even half as good as in Civil War, I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

They really didn't as they were just letting the series speak for itself, and not making a big deal out of it. There was no way of closeting her.

Mr. Alonso grew up in San Francisco and went to UC Santa Cruz and Columbia. There's remarkably little chance he's some sort of secret homophobe unless he spent the first ~25 years of his life shuddering with repressed rage at the cultural mores surrounding him.

I read his statement as understanding that how we talk about sex and sexuality has evolved a lot in the past 15-30 years, and continues to evolve at a pretty steady clip. Instead of saying "this is a lesbian and her lesbian trans partner", he'd rather just...show that. Describe the plainly-presented reality (of the fiction) in whatever terms are most appropriate, but Marvel won't risk either being offensively behind the times/inaccurate now, or describing things in ways that we as a culture might realize later are problematic.

Marvel under AA hasn't been shy or tawdry about showing diverse kinds of people and relationships, so it's not like they're trying to hide this stuff. Things are what they are, and you can call them as you see them.

• Locked thread