Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Secret Wars hardcover only changes the order of events in issue 7: First three pages are the same, with Maximus revealed to be the Prophet, and Doom summoning the Thors. From there the hardcover shows Reed talking to T'Challa, and T'Challa releasing the zombies. The comic shows Sinister betraying the Goblin Queen, the battle amongst Thors, and Maestro's arrival first.

Issue 8 begins with more Hulk stuff, so it flows better. Ending 7 with the zombie reveal works for the monthly, but the way the hardcover makes 7, 8, and 9 into one chapter, you're not worrying about cliffhangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'll gladly argue that it was the best comic book event. The creative freedom of the tie ins made sure there was something for almost everyone. Secret Wars showed the ability of Marvel's editorial team to organize all these various writers and artists onto a wide array of titles with a high rate of success. This has carried on to All New All Different Marvel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'd like to know which current Marvel book is very bad. Is there a Lobdell's Titans I'm missing amongst the ANAD books? Uncanny X-Men maybe? Anyone reading that?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I would reverse this.

Captain America: Sam Wilson and Astonishing Ant-Man are both really dumb but people seem to like them. Black Knight, Guardians of Infinity, and Red Wolf might be really bad but I don't think anyone is actually reading them.

Not reading any of those other books, but Ant Man was the first book I dropped. Not bad, just kind of dull. A-Force was the next one dropped. I like the characters, but I just don't care about them hinging the whole book on Singularity. Maybe I'll check on it next arc.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

It's not exactly a 'space' book, but it is pretty good, and is where Thanos is showing back up. Original pre-SW, remembers being melted by Doom Thanos. I know Rocafort is divisive, but I think the book is really pretty and is exactly the style needed for the concepts Ewing's throwing out there.

Only minor quibble I have is... are we supposed to know anything about America's girlfriend? Like, she talks like she knows Kate Bishop, so is she from Young Avengers?

She's just her girlfriend and knows who her friends are.

Ultimates is really good, and is probably the first attempt at a in universe explanation of Marvel time. It's practically Grant Morrison's Avengers, and I love it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Avengers #O.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just his Mighty Avengers related stuff. The actual issues of Ultimates even gives you some recommend issues to better understand what's going on. The latest issue points you towards Gillen's Young Avengers and Secret Wars #9.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It looks like ANAD Avengers vs Uncanny Avengers, and New Avengers vs Agents of SHIELD. I'm only reading the first of each of those pairs and it's not so bad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Shogo is yet another weird rear end concept from that X era that will probably never been seen again.

I'm still rooting for Shogo. That Psylocke panel where she's all "That ball weighs ninety pounds and I swung it one handed and I think this baby just pooped. Being a mom's easy." He's an adorable baby, and also a future sentinel colored Iron Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

By that point it's hard to tell if Stan was even involved with FF or Thor at all. Kirby's later work shows that he can follow Lee's style almost exactly. My favorite era of Thor, 160-169, you can tell that Stan only polished some dialogue because the plots are the sort of sci fi god stuff Kirby did when he went solo in the 70's.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Cassandra Nova also caused him to wet himself once?

Yes. His power is proportional to his confidence. A few of those fights are bullshit, but you just have to make him doubt himself to kick his rear end.

Now I miss Kid Gladiator. Same powers, but with added teenage overconfidence.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I've always felt that America in Battleworld was 616 America. She just saw the world ending and kicked a hole in reality and went to Battleworld. Though that implies that there is a 1602 Kate out there somewhere.

I dunno, Kamala would probably function well on a Young Avengers team, being the heart of the team that calls everyone on their poo poo.

In the Siege tie in she mentions how there was pizza on her Earth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's the Macronaut! No way related to the Micronauts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Macronaut! Probably comes from outer-outer space. Legally distinct from Micronauts.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I was thinking the other day that Avril Kincaid got a little too much of an introduction, but assumed she was going to be supporting cast going forward in the Thunderbolts series or something.

She was headed to the museum looking for a special weapon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Paul Jenkins' and Jae Lee's Sentry mini was also good, regardless of whether or not you like the concept. That whole Marvel Knights era doesn't get talked about much after the Ultimate era took over, but there was some drat good mini series by people like Jenkins and Morrison.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Bummer everyone brings up those two panels, and not how he was best buds with Reed Richards, or how he turned the Hulk into a happy child when he was around.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I liked what Bendis did with Sentry for the most part. His interactions with Norman were pretty great. Bendis totally crapped the bed with Marvel boy. I thought it was funny that he had no clue he was on a team full of bad guys, and bounced the gently caress out after finding out, but everything else was the drizzling shits. He gets turned into generic space man, with the most god awful white soul patch. Luckily Gillen's Young Avengers brought sexy back.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Doc Strange #7 and Last Days of Magic were both pretty great. Doctor Strange is really hitting its stride now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I liked the rogue planet because it tied into that awesome Original Sin tie in, but those alternate Avengers were pretty drat weak. Only good thing to come of that was the unworthy hammer of Thorr.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Or him and Old Man Logan tearing poo poo up together. One from an alternate past, one from an alternate future.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The issue before last he was shown captured by some sort of aliens. Shame on anyone not reading Thor.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Personally, this is my favorite one.

Also Steve really looks like an rear end in a top hat without the wings.

Because he looks almost exactly like Ultimate Captain America.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It really says something about how people read comics that they'll get whipped into a frenzy over an obvious mind control story, but nobody bats an eye at the implications made by that Multiversity issue that had the JLA characters as Nazis, and Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters as terrorists who were the heroes of the story.

Don't let these people watch the 66 Batman show. They'll freak out about Batman being in a death trap instead of tuning in at the same Bat Time and same Bat Channel.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Amazing Spider-Man had a gay wedding recently and nobody batted an eye.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

No seriously, why is Spider-man about to THWIP himself in the face on the cover of CW2 #1?

Can't recall where I'm remembering this from, but sometimes sometimes he does that pose, and "throws" the web. I think a lot of people do a similar motion when they imitate Spider-Man.

EDIT: When did A Force get good. The first two issues were a snooze.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wasn't there some rumor about Mar-vell coming back, or was that just that Quasar tease? There was definitely one of his nega bands in ANAD Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Iron Man is a futurist the same way Batman is. Scarily specific contingency plans. Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers had a good deal of it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I love that they have Vermin on the New Revengers to counter Squirrel Girl.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'll put Morrison's New X-Men and Whedon's Astonishing X-Men up for consideration. Whedon walks back a lot of Morrison's work, but looked at together, really give a great picture of what makes the X-Men such an endearing property.

Brubaker's first 25 issues of Captain America are pretty iconic.

And if you only read one Marvel event book, Hickman's Secret Wars is easily my top pick.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If Marvel Unlimited has Fantastic Four #45-53, and Thor #160-169, you'll see Stan and Jack at their best.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Avengers Arena wasn't as bad as people act like it is, but it's still not good. I almost feel bad for whoever downloads that torrent, and hits that wall.

Avengers Initiative was pretty drat fun. I miss those characters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

If you're not reading Uncanny Inhumans right now: Yo, gently caress you.

#10 might be the best single issue of a comic I've read this year. It's loving transcendent.

What happens. Dropped Uncanny Inhumans a couple issues ago because I read too many books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ultimate X-Men was the third wheel for the Ultimate books. It was still insanely successful, but Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimates were the game changers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

TRICYCLES HAVE THREE WHEELS.

Yes, but it'd be a tricycle with two big wheels, and one slightly smaller wheel.

Ultimate Fantastic Four did well for a while, but it didn't light the world on fire. I can't properly express what a big deal the Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man were. Ultimate Spider-Man #1 being worth $100+ was loving insane.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Right. Ultimates #2 was worth more than #1.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

All those books explain their status quo in the first issue. And Secret Wars was a secret because pretty much nobody remembers it besides Molecule Man, Thanos, and the Future Foundation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That and the Future Foundation are off the table for now.

Thanos finally got over his love for death when he realized how sexy absolute nothingness is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ultimates, Vision, and Mockingbird are like the Marvel trifecta. They're all quite different from eachother, but all have that certain something that defines the current core of Marvel. I don't know what the fourth corner would be. Maybe something that's more traditional like Amazing or ANAD Avengers, but they're not quite on the level of the other three books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Oh god. We're going to get Ultron with Vin and Viv for hands.

• Locked thread