Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Am I the only one that hopes Vision doesn't make it out of the series and one of his kids takes the mantle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Would they do that? We've already had a Vision replacement and they sort of bent over backwards to restore the original.

I am aware it's a fool hope, but Vivi might just pull it off if Vision takes the rap, goes to jail and sends his daughter to the only people he trusts, The Avengers.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

I'm so sad that Rachel-Cole Alves didn't get a bigger push as "female Punisher". Rucka did such a nice job building her up. With Marvel doing a big push to get other races/genders into the mantle of their popular guys I was surprised there was nothing announced for her coming out of the ANAD wave of books.

I'm not. Most of the vocal Punisher fan base I've been exposed to would red pill out and on the list of roles people want women to fill mass murderous psychopath is somewhere near the bottom.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, promocode SEASON2, if it's showing 100 then you got the yearly unlimited DELUXE that comes with figures and stuff and I don't think the code applies to it.

drat, already reupped my subscription.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Well you see SHEILD is dumb and Maria Hill is super bad at her job, this week.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

How can she hook up with every writer's proxy if she's stuck in a relationship?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Oh yeah that Ennis book with zombie Vikings killing and raping their way through new york. Don't read that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

If they killed her off how would they show that women are arrogant, stupid, selfish and unable to handle real power without loving up through sheer incompetence?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

I think that's more a problem with how SHIELD has been established then with Hill specifically.

The whole point of SHIELD is basically as the superheroic version of the CIA. There are plenty of strong capable women in positions of power, especially in the marvel universe, they're just not the ones in charge of the black ops secret super organization that nobody really trusts because their true motives are always unclear.

Every gently caress up is traced directly to back to Hill though, while every dude that has run Shield has at least a 50/50 ratio of "I hosed this up" and "Somebody hosed this up behind my back". Hell, Maria Hill was pretty much created to be the character that fucks things up when Nick Fury had his back turned for five minutes.

But now Fury stuck on the moon and Maria Hill is starting to come off like an MRA wet dream about affirmative action hires putting womenfolk in un-firable positions and the glass ceiling is there for a reason, biotruths.

Nick Fury was written, 90% of the time, as a competent leader drowning in a sea of idiots, Maria Hill is just written as king idiot when she could be written as another competent leader drowning in a sea of idiots.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

The mansion which is now apparently a themed sex hotel (as of Standoff). Stay classy, Marvel.

Wow, I missed that.

So in the story where the female leader of shield fucks up horrendously and white bread Captain America is restored there is a sex hotel at the old avengers mansion.

Who masterminded standoff again? Because I don't think they're handling the whole pushing women and minorities to the forefront very well.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man. I'd love a new take on the Sentry that handled his mental issues more accurately and with something approaching respect.

They are going to smush Blue Marvel and Sentry together and say it was a mental illness that made him rewrite the world again to be sunshine superman.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Weirdworld was lightning in a bottle I don't think anybody will ever use it well again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

The Odinson is a pretty big supporting character in Thor (lady version)'s book.

That's a stretch, when Aaron was spinning his wheels until Secret Wars started and he could drop the big identity "shocker" Odinson was but he's been on one page and in one flashback issue in the current run. He's about to get another hammer, which Jane will wield by the end of her tenure as Thor so she can be Thunderstrike the 2nd or whatever.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Ms Marvel is great as always and Spider-Gwen has always been mediocre, it was just briefly not in Spider-Women until it sunk back to explaining how wild n' crazy different earth-65 is.

I know it's all been under a single writer who created the character but man does it feel like the writer doesn't get what made people like the idea in the first place.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm talking about the disappointment that is Spider-Gwen not the actual good book Ms. Marvel.

I figured I didn't have to clarify because common who doesn't like Ms Marvel?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Mutants are going totally going extinct we swear! Is the bog standard X-men over arching story at this point. It's basically the only way they can enforce the "we are a minority" status when 8 out of 10 people with superpowers, you know the characters the stories center around is a mutant.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

No. They gave him Xavier's brain, that made him too powerful so now he's basically shelved.

It was a really stupid idea.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Ramadu posted:

SO why is carol gonna make tony stark register?

Tony doesn't meet his talking head quiping quota.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

So fair cop I was wrong and they are using Red Skull and Xaivers brain, in the most obvious way possible. Countdown to the "No it's not mind control" damage control tweet starts now

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2016

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I really don't know why writers still give the standard PR bullshit about dismissing all the explanations except super double secret actual factual backstory. It makes it meaningless because everyone knows it's going to be retconed, just go with mind control ,mind control has given us plenty of good suspenseful stories.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm expecting a super dumb twist at the end of the run now. Chekhov's mind powers are sitting on the mantle and so Red Skull unable to cope with Steve not being the perfect representative of the America he hates fixes Steve's brain and that how they tie it all up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

There is no amount of faith I could have in a writer to believe a twist this dumb and played out will be good especially after the boiler plate "totes really him no mind control guyz" quotes. I might be proven wrong when it's over but I'll be waiting until it hits unlimited and getting a butt load of positive praise.

I mean I wasn't gonna pick it up anyway cause I don't care about Captain America outside of group books but hey I'm talking about it and they probably count that as a win.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 25, 2016

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

If Nazi Captain America can't bring in new readers what can?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm from the future and I always knew you were a secret Nazi Steve.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It ends with Galactus waking up.

I do get where people are coming from now, it is a temporary clickbaity thing that shits all over the gently caress you nazi's meaning they saw in Cap and no amount of pretending it's gonna be important to the character in the long run diminishes that feeling because no it's loving not and we all know it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Totbot posted:

I hate the term "clickbait" being used here. Comic books have been doing this forever. Hell, so many comic covers show things that don't even happen in the actual comic itself in order to make it look more exciting than it actually is. Been catching up on Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel comics and one cover has her fighting/being swarmed by aliens and that never happens in the comic in anyway. But it made a decent looking cover since the previous comic revealed those aliens as traitors. 60's and 70's comics were basically nothing but that as well.

Comics being "clickbait" is like 100% of Marvel and DC comics for the past 60 years.

It's just the language of the time like this "#" is now pronounced hashtag.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The argument that you should have read a bland overshadowed crossover event to get the real set up is a buncha bullshit, they could have tossed that into the recap page at least.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The idea that this is somehow supposed to not overshadow Sam Wilson as Captain America is absurd on the face of it. "How do we keep Sam Wilson relevant? I know let's explode the internet with Steve Rogers being a Nazi!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

How is She-Hulks medical file not just a post it note that says "Get her really mad"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

(Current event here) is going to lead to a reboot because it makes the Marvel universe too complicated.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

They are doing a great job of balancing the sides. Tony is an idiot for being mad they stopped Thanos and got Rhodey killed while Carol is an idiot that took on Thanos with less then the entire superhuman population.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Carol's backstory has basically been boiled down to "Ex-Fighter Pilot".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Oh Rhodey probably the most currently well know black hero got fridged, and fridged hard, to set up the motivations of the two whitest leads in marvel that aren't off recreating the multiverse. When the poo poo splashes back onto Marvel they are going to be utterly surprised.

[Edit]
Even if it's not on purpose, Bendis probably just decided Rhodes was expendable because he writing a teen girl War Machine replacement in Invincible Iron Man, it was still dumb, dumb, dumb.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 2, 2016

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

X-O posted:

I think people are vastly overestimating how many people give a poo poo about Rhodey. Also the fact they've already introduced his successor. Plus the comic that killed him came out what a month or so ago and leaked weeks before that? Nobody cared then.

I'm sure this it's going to grab more "real news" headlines then comic news headlines. His roles in the movies makes Rhodes more popular out of comics then in.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Captain America Hydra grabbed "real news" headlines. I guaran-loving-tee you absolutely nobody outside of comic news, and not even then will give the slightest gently caress about Rhodey being dead. You are vastly, vastly overstating how important War Machine is.

Important? No, but people on the street can name him and that's all that really matters.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I never understood why people thought anybody but Tony was going to be written as wrong. He's been on every writer's poo poo list since he kicked the door to the clubhouse down and made movies more important then comics.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It'll only get dumber from here, five gets you ten Tony tries to have Ulysses killed to stop this.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Is the prostitute stuff even still a thing anymore? I thought it was well deservedly swept under the continuity rug.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Everything that changed after Secret Wars hasn't been written. It ended with a semi blank canvas and it was up to everybody else to cover it not Hickman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It is drat close to perfect funny books though, the only real flaw I've found is the artificially high stakes. "World is gonna end because of the events in this gook guys, totally, this is in no way out of tone with the books narrow focus on characters and family"

• Locked thread