Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He is right the gay thing is different as you are seeing an attempt to co op the gay panic arguments of the 80s. Which is weird. While the nick fury was just straight up not my fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah legacy heroes are devalued by the existence of the original, as that is the whole point of legacy continuing where your predecessor left off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair it has nothing to do with profit per say, but risks. The big two are rather risk adverse which has hurt them just more subtly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He is right as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wanderer posted:

This is an argument you see a lot in nerd discussion, and it's always an argument that ignores the business side. If Marvel "just [made] new characters," those new characters would be DOA because they haven't been around for 25-plus years, with the notable exception of Kamala.

Marvel is largely staffed by progressive dudes who see the value of representation, but it's a catch-22. They can't just introduce new characters to broaden their world, because it's throwing money on a fire, but they can successfully diversify their audience by handing off the mantles to new characters. That, in turn, gives them a ton of mainstream press, changes up the stories they can tell, and at least in the case of Thor, gives them a huge sales boost.

One thing I don't think enough people have noticed and/or given Marvel enough credit for, though, is how they've been handling the supporting casts lately. Tony's dating that girl from Sri Lanka and hanging out in Japan, Peter's spending a lot of time in China, Daredevil's sidekick is an undocumented Chinese immigrant, Silk's best friends are two women who are dating, Deadpool has a Latina daughter, etc. The world feels a bit wider and less homogeneous than it did before.

Prove it, prove anything you just said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Ok so it's not a big mega event, but it's comparable to what Age of X? I mean it's still a decently sized event that spans three of the main X-Men titles. It's not like it's confined to it's own tiny corner of X-Men titles.

But all the titles involved are X-men titles, what point do you think you are making.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The same way anyone's hair fits under form-fitting Spider-Man masks or whatever.

Unstable molecules.

Unstable follicles.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure that's a valid a complaint at all because it's a basic part of superhero storytelling.

It's a valid complaint just not against a particular character/writer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You know outside of branding nothing changes with new number ones, everything prior is still canon and whether they build off the SQ or not is up to the writer.

All that new number 1s really accomplish is get Marvel a little extra cash. It also makes jumping in harder unless you only care about the current writer, which it makes it a bit easier I guess?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So we are approaching the point where half the characters in the MU are Iron Men.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

If everyone ca be a Spider-man then everyone can also be an Iron Man.

Including Spider-man!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Hey, we want to give people a chance here, no way Batman could beat Squirrel Girl. Though Damian vs Kamala would be pretty good, and i thought of another Mera vs Medusa, and Star Lord vs Red Hood.

While i don't like current Star Lord, comparing him to Red Hood is rude as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Lots of cool art. I don't think it'll change up my reading list too much, though; stuff I'm already reading looks just as cool while stuff I'm not reading isn't enticing me that much.
Please be sarcasm. Like, you have to know Storm and T'Challa were married and both of them are Luke's friends.

They were married specifically because they were black. They hardly interacted prior and during the marriage itself. It was weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

WickedHate, stop posting. Thanks.

She is right in this case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They don't know each other very well they hardly interact at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

They're also both African royalty.

Storm isn't royalty she has delusions of grandeur there is a difference.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

I don't really care at this point, it's less about the point and more that she is terrible. You can make the point if you want, you're not terrible like she is.

WickedHate stop posting. Seriously.

That is fair.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Heard of this thing called Civil Wartoo?

e: I forgot to mention it last post about Silver Surfer #5, but Watcher Nick fury appeared in that. Is that the first time?

I thought you said Waterloo and I would support a duke of Wellington ongoing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

And if you want to criticize a relationship for being forced Peter Quill and Kitty Pryde basically started dating for no other reason than sheer proximity due to the trial of Jean Grey.

They started dating because Bendis has a crush on her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's just funny because it isn't even the first time, he did it in USM. I expect her to start dating Moon Knight had that lasted.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't think editorial cares, it's not like these big events actually have any big impact.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Like, when we got that vision of the Hulk killing everyone at the end of issue two, my assumption was that we'd get a series of events leading up over the next couple of issues towards that eventual outcome. Maybe it would even be the climax of the entire story, and only by looking back in retrospect would we think, "Ah, the mystery is finally revealed. This is how it came to be"...perhaps even as a self-fulfilling outcome of the vision itself or somesuch. Cause and effect. Buildup and resolution.

But no, in the span of ten or so pages a character that hasn't done anything in the story gets killed by another character that hasn't done anything in the story because a flashback between them that we don't get to see until after the fact tells us they'd arranged for this before anything had actually happened in this story. And what does this have to do with anything going forward? Who knows! We end on the "cliffhanger" of Tony discovering the truth of how Ulysses' powers work, but the fact that the next issue could reveal this truth to be literally anything whatsoever because nothing in the story so far has established any indications for anything about it at all. Bendis could tell us in the next issue that Ulysses is powered by Spider Totems and it would make about as much sense as anything else in this book's narrative progression.

Maybe we can chalk all that up, on a technical level, to just "this story is bad" instead of "there is no story," but the reason I think the story is bad is because there's no throughline sense of plot or structure to the events we see unfolding in it. It genuinely does just feel like the events we see so far have been planned by throwing darts at a wall.

Bendis has always had issues with plotting, big events just aren't a thing he should do. Considering they are basically all about plotting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ferrule posted:

I grew up on Atlantis Attacks and Inferno so CW2 really ain't that bad to these old eyes.

Inferno owns tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

It's not bait when the central theme of the X-Men is that they're a persecuted minority in constant crisis and under constant threat of extinction and the image shows X-Men in crisis and extinct. That's called thematic coherency.

That is not a central theme really. I mean it has been since House of M but that is just a decade and it's been a really bad one for the X-men.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah they are trying to push Inhumans but it probably won't work and it will be given up in five years. I know why they are doing it but whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait the mists aren't a choice they happened because Black Bolt is a huge prick. Who isn't even around anymore because monarchy got in the way of them being a X-men knockoff, which they are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

If you read more than the first paragraph of that post, you'd see where they acknowledge the change and how that's changed the Inhumans a bit. It was just beginning with 'this is the historical precedent that causes the current world'

I was pointing out how dumb it was to use info that isn't relevant to try and make a point yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well he is basically writing Iron man, he just happens to dress like Spidey.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

The Whitewashing of Roberto Da Costa

That event has been going on for twenty years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Annihulis is a huge MRA, let's not pretend.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't see why I should care cap. Hitler can't have been that hard to kill at that point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But he is anti communist. That will get you far in 50s America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It was a story because a major character did something major. Sam is a gimmick that Marvel had been doing since the 80s and will do for the foreseeable future.This isn't hard.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair Hickman is a bad writer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I assume rape wasn't involved.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

We've got a good Scott right now. Let the old one lovely one die.

I thought Lang was already dead?

Also young Cyclops suuuuucks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well even then he is bases his hypothesis on incomplete data, that I assume he knows is incomplete. So yeah duh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

site posted:

They did admit to arguing solely on belief and faith and not facts :shrug:

Why the gently caress would you do that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

If that's the worst he's done, he's far, FAR from the worst mutant.

He's committed genocide before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but so has almost everyone in the Marvel universe at this point.

Beast wasn't even possessed tho.

• Locked thread