Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cabbit posted:

"Please follow and subscribe to my friendly neighborhood Twitch.tv channel!"

"Here at Parker Industries, we try to do our best to keep a friendly and neighborhood image. Now, we know everyone loves my personal bodyguard, Spider-man. For years, all you could find about his exploits were misrepresented photographs in the tabloid paper, the Daily Bugle. But, today, we are bringing his adventures straight to you. Partnering with Twitch.tv, you can tune in when he's out patrolling to see all the action live from a body camera we will be fitting to his costume. All the action, all the villains, all the web-swinging thrills, right on your screen. Subscribe today!

Was that a good take? Never really did commercials before. I mean, I think marketing wrote up a good spiel for this. Oh, are we still rolling?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Remember when the Fantastic Four was their main bread winner and comics giant? What losing movie rights can do to a franchise, am I right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Depending on how they mean this, this might be a good thing. If they mean " they will be no events, just series running their normal course", that would be perfect.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I stumbled across an article -- while looking for an article on reccomendations for indie superheroes -- where someone was saying that Marvel Legacy was the victory, well as they put it, "of the rational majority over the SJWs." Only read the headline as you can't pay me to read that article.

Now, I I know Marvel CEO complained about some of the new heroes by claiming they were failing due to diversity or something like that. Sounds like rubbish to me, but he's the individual who gets the call the shots in the company.

I like some of the new heroes, are they getting rid of them?

Obviously, the articles exaggerating as most articles written like that do in their headlines (I swear, they're made intentionally to be obnoxious), but has there been some announcement that the new heroes are going away.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, as of November solicitations (Month Three of Legacy), Steve Rogers is back as Captain America and Sam Wilson is back as Falcon.

Thor is still Jane Foster, but they're starting a storyline called "The Death of the Mighty Thor".
Riri Williams is still the protagonist of Iron Man, but they're starting a storyline called "The Search for Tony Stark".

Also I guess they renamed the book Hulk starring Jennifer Walters back to She-Hulk.

Other than those three, and they're a big three (though the Thor and Iron Man storylines appear to be continuing along the multi-year arcs that Aaron/Bendis plotted out respectively):

Miles Morales still has his own book called Spider-Man
Amadeus Cho is now the star of Incredible Hulk instead of Totally Awesome Hulk
Laura Kinney is still Wolverine
Kate Bishop is still the star of Hawkeye

Also Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, America, Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen, Gwenpool all still have their books continuing.

Though on the other hand, Marvel is a bunch of shitheads eating poo poo and are full of poo poo and may just cancel all of these books and publish nothing but white supremacy poo poo written by poo poo for shitfucks starting next month. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

I mean, that'd be a pretty stupid decision. Even a lot of the conservative individuals I know loving hated Secret Empire for making Captain America Nazi and odinson a Nazi collaborator and such. So, I don't know if any white supremacy poo poo is going to be in there pipeline since they got so much poo poo for it, at least from the comments I saw.

It's good to hear that the characters I like still have their own book and likely will. It is strange they're killing off the mighty Thor. I thought she was popular?

I'm not surprised that Sam Wilson is back has the falcon. Having two Captain Americas was confusing and he's the Falcon in the movies right now so it fits.

It seems like such a small yet insulting thing to go back to She-Hulk and I don't even know why. Its her original name but turning it back for no reason just feels like saying she's not worthy of the title for some reason.

X-O posted:

That was marketing saying that the newer heroes don't sell as well, not the CEO of Marvel. I'm not really surprised that new heroes don't sell as well as heroes that have been around decades and I'm sure nobody else is either.

Oh, that's a lot better than I suppose. Better some marketing director than a CEO. And, no doubt. New characters always got it rough.

Lurdiak posted:

I doubt they're going to stuff America Chavez and Miss Marvel in a closet, but Marvel Legacy does seem to focus on bringing back "all your old favorites", which all happen to be white dudes. I don't think any of the new heroes are going to go away, but we're probably going to stop seeing a focused effort on creating new ones and they're less likely to keep a failing book about a new hero going because of critical praise.

Honestly I think whatever they're doing it's out of panic since they went from being on top of the world to eating poo poo compared to DC in like 2 years.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-marvels-legacy-projec-1797202223/amp

I ran into this article while looking into one of my own. It looks like their real Focus officially is to balance the new Heroes and the old Heroes. Or more precisely they seem to think they lost fans and they want to see if they can get people back.

So, it's probably exactly what you think. It seems like they are not stupid enough to just erase all the new Heroes and it seems like a lot of them keeping their own series and that they're going to do a thing now where the Legacy Heroes do team ups in their own specialized comics.

They are saying that specifically not a a rejection of the diversification and modernization of comics. But that's just words. Guess actions will need to be seen.

The list of new ideas worries me. I don't know why Spiderman always have to go back to being poor and working with the bugle. I really worried about Captain America doing a cross-country road trip to reconnect with America. That can be a shitstorm. And making Deadpool evil again just seems like a bad idea considering his recent success as a superhero movie with sequel coming soon.

As an aside, apparently Marvel Legacy is having some trouble getting comic shops to buy it because they are demanding a high minimum of each issue from retailers. Seems like a bad idea considering the fact that they're trailing DC ever since rebirth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not even sure what you mean, are the beta cuck SJW piece of poo poo assholes at Marvel not writing their piece of poo poo garbage cuck characters up to your high standards?

I think he was actually trying to say as a joke that "we could expect them to stop playing to the far-right and finally give the new characters a chance...NOT!" Sounds like he was just making fun of Marvel and secret Empire.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's loving psychotic Kamala Khan doesn't have a cartoon. It feels like money left on the table.

She actually does appear in The Avengers cartoon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Isn't it arugable the current model of selling comics in general is outdated and ineffective?

Covok
May 27, 2013

To further that subject, does Marvel considered the comics that are read through MARVEL NOW when determining sales and popularity because I used to read all my Ms.Marvel comics through it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Scyther posted:

You mean Marvel Unlimited?

Oh, right. Yeah, Marvel NOW was their rebranding effort or something a while back, right? Or I'm just an idiot.

X-O posted:

I'm sure they look at what people are reading, but I also doubt that has any effect on how they view a book is doing. And in reality it shouldn't. I read stuff on MU that there's no way I'd be buying on a monthly basis.

Yeah, that's a fair point actually.There is always the "only buy it if free" factor.

Covok
May 27, 2013

El Tortuga posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't Black Widow gotten a movie yet?

You know the answer to that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

Now that it's over, we can all say it: Secret Wars Empire was a lovely event that probably did damage to Captain America as a character, and more relevantly to Marvel as a company, as a brand, that it's going to take years to come back from, and saying that you didn't cheat and use reality warping to solve your problems at the end of the story when you literally did, you just didn't have it solve all the problems, including the literal destruction of Las Vegas and the murdering of every single person in the entire city sans a single baby on the order of Steve Rogers, is loving bullshit.

E: Calling the big event "Secret Empire" when your last original event was Secret Wars and the actual most recent event was a sequel event was also loving stupid.

Wow, they had Captain America kill everyone in Las Vegas? That's 632,912 people. Which is, admittedly, much, much smaller than I expected, but this doesn't account for all the tour

Covok
May 27, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Uh, he's one of the many listed writers. I think you can safely skip over his stuff and enjoy North and Zdarsky and company.

They already dropped what his joke section is. It's taking a piss out of the negative reaction to Secret Empire. It's like Captain America does a twitter post saying "hail hydra", gets flooded with negative replies saying how terrible this is and how dumb he is for doing this, and, frightened, follows up with a "j/k" tweet.

Edit: Found it

Covok
May 27, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, you read about the man's political career.

Also, I have never seen a picture of Nick Spencer, but my mind always gives him the appearance of Richard Spencer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Revol posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy #151 has been cancelled. "Not postponed, not to be resolicited at a later date, simply cancelled."

Is this one of those technicality cancellations, where the same content will get resolicited, perhaps at a later date? Or is this story getting reworked?

Do you think they're just going from Bi weekly to monthly or is it because of low sales?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Marvel seems to be removing all of Bendis' works from Icon. Reportedly, you can't buy Powers, etc digitally right now.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11/10/brian-bendis-powers-brilliant-united-states-murder-inc-takio-scarlet-etc-pulled-kindle-comixology/
Don't know if it's Bendis' idea or not, but they're entirely creator owned, right? So, probably.

This is probably just him taking back ownership since they're creator owned.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Man, DC is probably going to re-release Powers yet AGAIN. I wonder if they'll create another I themed imprint for him like Marvel did. I wonder if they retained the rights of the IMPACT brand.

They'll probably just use Vertigo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bringing back Moon Knight makes sense. Many view him as Marvel's Batman and literally every high selling comic in the last few months had Batman in it. Like, literally, the top 10 on average have been all Batman since well before Metal. So, perfect time to bring back what people who never read it view as Marvel's Batman.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I loved Spectacular Spider-Man and Mighty Thor. Reading Punisher now. I thought the Avengers cross-over is going good as well. I liked Loki Doctor Strange. So far a pretty good haul for my Marvel stuff.

My only complaint: like a ton of poo poo on my pull list had to come out all the same time. Oh well, got a new job, but, still, RIP wallet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I kind of disliked the decision to draw the Punisher in Bernthal's likeness.

All I noticed was that his nose was oddly rectangular and long.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I wonder why Axel left.

When my company needs to lay off some people, they told me I was being mutually separated. That could mean that he quit, but, from experience, it could equally mean he was told to quit. I was told to accept mutually separated or be fired because they needed to cut people and I made 10,000 more than everyone else. So, I'm not saying he was fired, but he could have been fired.

Covok
May 27, 2013

God drat it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

http://www.comicsbeat.com/c-b-cebulskis-appointment-as-eic-signals-that-the-old-marvel-is-dead/

Comicbeat has an interesting article on this. They feel Marvel might be trying to grow its hold on international markets with this move in EIC. Apparently, Cebulski was head of a project to get a foothold in asian markets and there is some evidence they may have moved him to head due to this experience. There is certainly some resentment hidden in their view ("over the last 10 years, books have grown 60%, comics 30%" certainly gives away some feelings on the subject in their press release) over how little comics were growing in the US market so its possible Marvel's new solution is to to get a bunch of new markets opened up and grow through those means.

Covok
May 27, 2013

All-New Wolverine continues to be good.

Not Brand Ech was mostly funny. Some jokes fell flat. I liked the Secret Empire recap, the final page, and the gwenpool short.

I didn't realize Marvel had a brand of comics where they tell mature stories with their characters so, since I just have Punisher on my pool list, I was pleasantly surprised with Punisher: Platoon. What else do they publish as Max Comics?

X-Men Gold had another okay issue. It's such an "X-Men" series, you know? I prefer Blue to Gold because of that. It's so...safe. It's not bad, but it's what a faceless corporation pursing the concept of X-Men would create: a perfectly safe X-Men series that hits all the right notes but never really crosses boundaries. Even the political commentary on deportation feels phoned-in. Also, it really doesn't loving make sense. Where would you deport Mutants to? They're American citizens, they can't be sent anywhere else. If you deport people without a place to put them, you're just de-naturalizing them and that's a loving human rights violation considering what that actually means.

Edit: I prefer Blue to Gold because Blue isn't as "safe" as Gold. Generation X is less safe, as well, but I don't really care for Quietin Quire.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 23, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

I super loved the first issue of Mark Wade Captain America for this very reason. It was a one issue story, get in get out, hit all the key points, and didn't make me feel like I was missing out if I didn't buy more. I don't know why they don't make comments like that anymore. It's a lot easier to read a book like that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Pat Mustard posted:

Can you share a marvel unlimited account like you can with Netflix?

No, but you can just give them your username and password. That's what me and my brother do. They don't care if you login from two different places at once.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since Disney owns Marvel and Disney owns Pixar and Pixar is bringing back The Incredibles for Incredibles 2, does this mean there's going to be an Incredibles comic book series by Marvel?

Covok
May 27, 2013

No idea what this has to do with comics, but Baby Drive deserves to be on that list. Good loving movie. Y'all should have watched it in theaters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's even the story here? So he used a pseudonym for a person of a different race? I mean, it's not that uncommon. I mean normally, it's a woman pretending to be a man to avoid prejudice or a non-white individual pretending to be white, I've actually done that one since I pass for white since it helps with the job hunt I found, but it's really not that big a deal. Like I said, I've pretended to be white before to help me get a job. I'm not exactly going to get angry at a guy who used a pseudonym.

I guess it's a little hosed up with the power dynamics flipped, though. And it probably did cost of the actual Asian guy job. I guess I can actually see where the issues coming out. Since it is easier for a White Guy to get a job than an Asian guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

In light of the news of the Marvel EIC, this review has become retroactively amazing;

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel has a problem with their asian characters in general. I've pointed this out before.

Shang Chi is a kung fu man and the son of Fu Manchu.

Yellow Claw and Mandarin are named Yellow Claw and Mandarin, for starters.

Sunfire has nuclear powers and his name is basically a reference to the imperial japanese flag, as is his outfit.

Jubilee is of Chinese descent and has firework powers.

Armor's mutant power is to channel her honorable ancestors and turn them into mechs.

Agent X is a goddamn yakuza ninja with a code of honor.

The least racist asian characters in Marvel are Nico Minoru and The Cat, although you could make a case the latter is just a different kind of ninja stereotype.

I think you're reaching a little bit with the Jubilee one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was Monster-Ock from the Spider-Man PS1 game ever in any comics?

No.

:(

Covok
May 27, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What should I be reading, Marvel-wise right now? Most of the stuff that interested me about Marvel when I was in a bookstore recently was retro stuff (aside from Deadpool which is still very enjoyable) like Kraven's Last Hunt, recent Hulk runs by Waid and Aaron, etc.

Gwenpool
Ms.Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy (for the two issues it has left)
I liked the Avengers/Champions cross-over, but I can't speak the quality of the individual series
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man
All-New Wolverine
Jean Grey (for the two issues that got left)
X-Men Blue
X-Men Gold
Mighty Thor

That's all that comes to mind now. Might be more. Been on a DC kick because of Rebirth so Marvel been pushed out of my mind a bit.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 10, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Add Thor, Hawkeye and depending on whether you like positive humor, Squirrel Girl to that and you've got my list.
Though, Ms. Marvel has been a bit of a grind lately.

Oh! And Hulk (or as it's called now again, She-Hulk) is also quite good.

Thor! You're right. Definitely read Thor. Jason Aaron's Thor is like one of the best runs. Possibly better than Walter Simonson!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

With Legacy being a rolling turd they need to do something. Maybe it's time to truly reboot their universe.

That's a bad idea. DC did that 6 years ago and it was a rolling turd that kept them depressed for 5 years until they basically put out a comic apologizing for the whole thing.

All they really need is to promote their younger Talent more, let the writers write and put less editorial mandates, and stop doing gimmicks like events and relaunches and variant covers and other quick shots into your arm to boost sales in the short-term. If they just went back to basics and focused on quality across the entire line and not just in a few really good series, stop giving big names the run of the place like with Bendis where they can do anything and even the editors can't stop them, and stopped with the bad PR somehow, they'd be fine.

It's like losing weight. If you keep looking for some miracle cure, it will never work. If you just regulate your diet, eat a little healthier and eat a little less, and exercise a bit, the basics, you actually lose weight.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nah. It's a good idea. Steve is thawed out in 2017, immediately starts pinching girls' butts and has to learn a hard lesson.

I really hate, and I know you're being ironic, all those people who say that Captain America should be a piece of poo poo and completely forget the point of the character and how he's supposed to be the best America has to offer, the Marvel Superman.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mark Waid has a comic for you!

Dude, I own both issues and plan on owning all the rest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I, for one, welcome the death of Fox and future inevitable death of Rupert Murdoch and our new Disney overlords.

In all seriousness, better than Comcast. Sounds like Fox was looking to sell so this would happen one way or the other.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Marvel should let Echiro Oda write all their comics till he dies of exhaustion in 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Top Gun posted:

That's fine but you and a handful of people don't speak for the entire fan base and the fact is marvl sales are in the toilet and screaming matches erupt every time marvel shows up for a convention or a sales meeting with retailers so clearly there is a problem. Didn't they just fire Alonso and replace him with that Japanese dude because they recognized there is a problem that needs correcting?

To quote Luke Skywalker from The Last Jedi, "Impressive. Everything in that sentence was wrong."

• Locked thread