Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Toxxupation posted:

Vision was loving unreal in its quality. Tom King is incredible

Al Ewing needs to be writing New Avengers forever (and if you read CWII 1 and wanted more context for what happened in the Celestial fight, read the most recent issue). He's just killing it every issue on NA.

After a rocky first issue (with a pretty surprising twist ending that everyone knew how it was going to be resolved), Thunderbolts has really found its footing in its second issue.

I'm really digging CWII Spider-Man so far. It addresses a bunch of the hypothetical applications of Ulysses that everyone here was bandying about when he was first introduced, so if you want the more philosophical questions of "man who can predict the future with perfect accuracy" addressed pick that up.

I really liked the Spider-man tie in because, like you say it does nicely answer questions about Uyleses.

Like if he's telling you "big space monsters are going to eat New York" that's a fine tip off to work on.

When he's saying "this super villain that you have given a second chance to is going to betray you" it becomes very dicey.
Now I suspect Spidey is going to be paranoid of the guy and his mistrust will make it a self fulfilling prophecy.

As for Thunderbolts I was really turned off by this issue.

Like I am a huge fan of the OG Thunderbolts. I thought that I would love this series. But this issue was nothing more than the Bolt's straight up graphically murdering Inhumans while cracking jokes.
It was like some issue out of the Extreme 90's. It was such a bizarre direction to take the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

War of Kings was by far the worst part of that whole era of cosmic stuff. No one comes out remotely looking good other than Xavier for killing Vulcan and sparing us from more stories with him.

I love War of Kings for how it ends with Gladiator killing all the people responsible for the Empress' death.
And then as a result all the remaining Shi'ar realise he's the only one who can protect him and make him Emperor. It's just like the ending to Chronicles of Riddick.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

So far the Ms. Marvel tie-in is the only Civil War II thing yet to even introduce a hint of sketchiness to Ulysses' powers, something this event desperately needed.

Actually, a lot of those concepts have been brought in, in other books. In the Spider-Man Civil War 2 tie-in, Spidey compares his Spider-sense with Uylesses and talks about probability and how far in advance his warning gives him.

He also questions him about if his personal bias effects the predictions. (You said that guy is going to mug that woman. Is it just because he's a minority?
Lol, I'm hispanic, I can't be racist. But he totally has a gun and is about to mug that woman.)

In fact, even looking back over the Bendis issues of the main series Tony both raises the probability question ("IF these futures are garunteed to happen, these warnings are pointless because we can't change them. If they are not garunteed, then they are meaningless because they can be changed.") and in the second issue the question of personal bias is also raised by Tony.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So in other Civil War II news, I read the Captain America (Sam) issue. And it's the funeral of Jim Rhodes.

Which is fine, it's good to see him get a send off. And there's a bit where they talk about having the funeral in Philedelphia instead of Arlington saying this is what Jim would have wanted.

Then we go into a back room for before the funeral and Sam talks about how Jim's family is there. And it's Sam Wilson and Misty Knight, Luke Cage, Black Panther, Storm, Dr. Voodoo, Monica Rembeau and Nick Fury. (And Blade is sorry he couldn't make it.)

And there's a long back and forth about how it went down, that he's at peace, that this is what he would want and that as a community they have to show up when they lose one of their own.

And...the whole thing just really rubbed me the wrong way. Like I understand that they wanted to address the political issue surrounding a black hero dieing and not just write it off....

But part of me just said, I'd love for the ghost of Jim Rhodes to appear and say "What the gently caress is all this? I wanted to be burried at Arlington. I deserve that for dieing in the line of duty.
And while I appreciate you all for showing up at this funeral before the funeral....what the Hell? Storm? Dr. Voodoo? The new Nick Fury? I have never met most of you before today.
At least Blade made up an excuse and stayed at home rather then come to a funeral for a guy he knew nothing about." You know, have him just tear strips out of everyone.

Maybe this is just me, but the whole scene just felt so weird, because there was no connection between so many guys.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

X-O posted:

I can't really place what it is. I used to read Superman religiously and his stuff around the New Krypton era never sat well with me even though I really dug those stories. I look back fondly on those comics but not because of the art.

The best description of Frank Gary's art that sums up my difficulty with it is that he draws everyone as if they have been bitten and are slowly turning into a zombie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

All this talk about how John Walker sucks makes me want to post the story of his confrontation with Left Winger and Right Winger in the Touching/Sad Panels thread.

Because that was some of Gruenwalds best work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

Nope. Vengeance #1, part of the new Teen Brigade.

It's important to note that Vengeance was a really awful series. It was basically unused story ideas from Kelly's cancelled Defenders series, some really awful new characters and hung together by some awesome covers that were haphazardly folded into the plot.

It features a teenage Radioactive Man blow himself and a town up, and he gets all these tributes paid to him online and in the real world by teenagers.
Legit, it was one of the worst comics I ever read.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SilverSupernova posted:

Adds some interesting subtext to the fact that he shipped Kamala with himself AND Nova.

It depends. Maybe his stories end with Nova conceding defeat to Miles. And admitting that he is the better hero and more deserving of Kamela's love and that Miles has a much bigger dick etc...

Totally mature and well nuanced story telling from Miles.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

X-O posted:

Apparently the whole X-Men/Inhumans event is a trilogy of stories.

Part 1: Death of X
Part 2: Inhumans vs X-Men
Part 3: Inhumans/X-Men: ResurrXion

Part 4: Inhumans/X-Men: Deus X: Inhuman Revolution.
Part 5: Inhumans/X-Men: Deus X: Supermankind Divided.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I quite enjoy that they thought to position Captain Britain strategically there.

Great spot. Somebody did their job on that one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maybe they should go to New U and get him fixed right up!

Now I think about it why would the Jackal just focus on Spider-Man characters for DNM? Surely there's other heroes he could influence through resurrecting their loved ones. Other than 'it's a Spider-Man story', of course.

It's not the Jackal behind all of this.
It's Ben Reilly, that's why it is a Spider-man story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Good old Reed, he's an understanding sort when you get right down to it:

Ah the good old Jack Kirby googly eyed individual. I remember a picture of Captain America he drew with the lazy eye and someone just said that the other eye was always on the watch for Communism.
That made me laugh, a lot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

X-O posted:

The last rumor going around with Venom was that Sony wanted to keep it separate completely from Spider-Man and the MCU. Which is dumb, but you know it's Sony.

Sony: So we will sell back this Spider-Man franchise, since it wasn't making us enough money. But we will keep a hold of this tasty, tasty Venom guy who we know will be the smash hit of the decade, once we remove all the Peter Parker stuff from the script.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Now that you mention it, Carol did go through that period where her costume had all that body armour on it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Why would you name a comic book character Emma Frost and not give her ice powers?

There was a free Facebook movie tie in game called Avengers Alliance. Despite it's rough pedigree it was one of the greatest Marvel computer games ever made and ran for like five years. (What killed it was that Flash player died.)

One of the tips that always displayed on the loading screen was "Despite her name, Emma Frost does not have Ice powers."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Taskmaster is one of the only characters in Mark Gruenwald's Captain America where his writerly tic of having everyone's nickname be "______y" kind of sounds okay

"Tasky" is weird, but sounds like something a human being might say to be friendly or demeaning.

Far less so when it's
"Crossy" for Crossbones
"Diamy" for Diamondback
"Cobie" for King Cobra
"Anny" for Anaconda
"Herky" for Hercules
"Falky" for Falcon
"Chiney" for Machinesmith
"Supey" for Superia
"Quasie" for Quasar
etc. etc. etc.

Also "Crossy" is the same drat number of syllables as "Crossbones". He spends the entire run calling Rachel "Diamondback" Leighton "Ratzel" and it was at least fifty issues before I realized that's a terrible play on "Rachel who is a Rat" and not a weird variation on "gunsel" which he also uses a lot, in the (technically, English is a living language) incorrect way. He also frequently shortens the nickname Ratzel into the nickname Ratzy. Because again, writerly tics.

I love Greunwald work and all his stories. (Even Cap-Wolf and the Superia Strategem ) but the adding Y thing drove me nuts.

However Crossy doesn't bother me. Largely because Crossy is a common nickname for people with Crosby as a surname. In fact the Irish like adding Y or O to people's last name as nicknames.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pierson posted:

Have they done anything interesting with AI Tony Stark? Every image and interaction I've seen feels like they put Tony into a coma in CW2 but forgot they needed him later, so the AI acts and talks the same way and is basically him and even has repulsor-powered hands so he moves and interacts like a normal person? Like in a panel I saw he's talking with some black guy and instead of doing anything fun with the fact that he's a computer nope a hologram is sitting in a chair like a human, tinkering with some tech or whatever with a screwdriver in his human-shaped hands, and is acting and emoting like he's a tired human and not a computer.

This just reminded me. They had the AI backup of Tony Stark that lived inside an old suit of armour (and made a load of copies of himself to fight the real inverted Tony Stark) back in Superior Ironman.
That was before Secret Wars. They could have used him instead of the hologram Tony Stark.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I appreciated how Defenders 2 flipped the Jessica/Luke dynamic from the first issue and had Jessica be the one bursting into the hospital to check up on Luke and hunting down Diamondback. Also, that last panel was super rad.

Are the panels of Jess bursting into check on Luke a gender swapped version of Loss.jpeg?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Animal Man had that power for a bit.

It's arguably Mirror Master's power, too, when done well.

But Mirror Master doesn't have superpowers.

Everything is a trick...done with Mirrors.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Heathen posted:

They've also changed it so little Frankie Castle looked up to Captain America as a hero and wanted to be just like him. Captain America fought in World War II where America was undoubtedly The Good Guys who saved the world. Frank Castle fought in Vietnam where America was undoubtedly Not The Good Guys and lost pretty bad. Frank Castle didn't turn out to be Captain America, he's the Punisher - a broken man who's life is pure poo poo. It's "important" to have the Punisher being the result of Vietnam in the sense that it's "important" Captain America was a blonde haired, blue eyed white dude that rejected the Aryan ideal.

I don't know.

Like up until really recently, I was fully on board that Punisher only worked as a Vietnam vet.

But in recent years more and more stuff came out about Afghan and Iraq 2, that has tarnished how those conflicts are and what they can do to people. (One need only look at the people who took over the running of Abu Ghraib and became just as bad as Saddam's people. And then claimed the place was haunted and made them do it.)
It's also become a thing because of how the Punisher is portrayed in Season 2 of Daredevil and the clips we have seen in the Netflix Punisher series.

I think you can do a very compelling take on Frank Castle where it was Afghan or Iraq or the idea of a fundamentally flawed Military/Industrialization complex that turns him into the broken Vigilante killbot he is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mulva posted:

I mean his stated motivation is pretty much always "I kill because I'm a killer, I will never stop killing because I can always find someone I think needs killing, and if I couldn't I'd just kill myself". Which.....isn't really a lie. It's the thing that makes it that much more disturbing that so many people with guns are into him. Like this dude is suicidal and only marching along because he can usually find someone else he wants to kill slightly more than himself. Is your Punisher onesie a cry for help?

The vast majority of people (or as we shall call them, Norms.) often miss the point of a stoey/character or get a skewed reading.
Like these people who see the Punisher as a guy who has the right idea on how to treat all them criminals and scumbags that the liberal justice system is too soft on.

The other perfect example of this is the number of people (mostly rappers) who watch Scarface, and get the idea that the film is about how baller Tony Montana is and how he made it. And somehow forget the last third of the film apart from him saying "Say hello to my little friend."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

site posted:

(mostly rappers)

I watched a whole bunch of MTV cribs in the early 2000's. Scarface got mentioned a lot.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

KaosMachina posted:

That would require Marvel to make good decisions for their big events, and their focal titles, which you cannot argue they have had a poor track record since Secret Wars 2

Edit: I forgot it's actually Secret Wars 3 since there was an event called Secret Wars 2 already

And there was a Secret Wars 3 (it was a story arc in the Fantastic Four.)
So it should be Secret Wars 4: The Quest for Peace.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I didn't know that Wayne Knight traveled back in time to the 1970's..

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I really liked Legacy.

Two points.
So the Black Panther planet. A little odd but I will see where it goes.
It reminds me of an idea I had which was Vibrinium ended up on Earth because a meteor of it landed on Earth and it is such a wünder metal that it makes the Wakandians a super power.
But if it came from a meteor, that means there has to be a planet of it SOMEWHERE. And I figured that would make a good story.
I guess this BP planet idea is this idea just extrapolated further.

And the second point.
So the Infinity stones.
I took that they are separate and distinct items from the Infinity Gems.
And they are ones that people knew about but never sought out before.
And like are they supposed to be the same as the Gems? As powerful? More powerful? Less?
Are they the cheap off brand knock offs of the Infinity Gems?
Did Franklin remake the Gems as stones because Stone sounds cooler than Gems and the Thing is made of stones not gems?
What is going on?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

they renamed the infinity gems infinity stones because that's what the movies call them

Oh I know that is what they did. But at no point has anyone said that.
And while I realize that you can't have someone look at the reader and say "these are stones now. Ya dig?" I'd expect some mention of it.
Even if it's a cosmic dude yammering about how are puny human brains could never process the majesty of stones and just saw them as uncluttered gems.

Because as it is, it just looks like these stones were another cosmic artefact floating around that no one ever mentioned before.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nilbop posted:

Bit out of the blue, but is Death of Wolverine worth a read? The preview on Marvel’s app looks really good.

Is it the Last part of Paul Cornell’s run on Wolverine or the Limited series.
Both are okay stories, with good endings that make the story better. But they both go in different directions.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

From what I can remember, JMS was posting pictures of graphs of different sales figures.
Then people pointed out he was comparing issues that were a part of Civil War (which would have a sales boost) against issues from the middle of Brand New Days story arcs.

JMS replied with a "what I wasn't implying sales were better under me. I just posted these photos, and you jumped to conclusions. :smug: "
I think that was when Waid replied with his Long Walk comments.

Edit: I found an old BleedingCool article that sums it all up.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/10/fanboy-rampage-jms-vs-steve-wacker/

What I forgot was that JMS got the image he posted from someone else's blog. That person being some crazy online person who went on long rants about how much he hates Dan Slott.
So in a way JMS was just doing what Donald Trump does when he posts a GIF that someone else made of him punching people on Twitter.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 4, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

My favourite part of Skaven lore is that they use advance magic to make everyone* in the Warhammer world think that they are an Urban myth.

So even after the Britionan's field a massive army to engage them in a mass battle, they come home and go
"Who were we fighting there? I'm going to say the Orcs."

*= Except for the Tillians. Because your magic doesn't work on Italian stereotypes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Onmi posted:

Basically, there's nothing actually wrong with Jean as the Phoenix, provided the writers paid attention to more than the selective parts they need to tell their dumb story. And, frankly, going back to the well of Scott/Logan/Jean drama is frankly really loving insulting for all three characters at this point. It essentially boils 3 full grown adults, almost a Century in Logan's case at LEAST, pining over each other and ignoring every development and relationship they've ever had TO that point. That was ultimately my main problem with Schism to. What causes Logan and Scott to finally throw fisticuffs? Was it truly "Should children fight?" NOPE, it was "JEAN NEVER LOVED YOU!"

You see that was my favourite part of Schisim.
How everything built up and the conflict was over Scott's "we have to keep training kids to fight or we have no future" versus Logan's "If all they know how to do is fight then there is no future."

And that was what the conflict was about. But when it came to the two leaders and friends fighting, of course they bring up personal, petty slights. Because that is what happens in family disputes.
Ancient history is always brought up.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m only talking about Marvel in the silver age, and I dunno what you’re talking about wih Cap. Marvel heroes written by Stan, all of them, were racist in the sense that they contributed to systemic racism, but otherwise they’re about as progressive as could hope for from a mainstream media publication of the time. Cap has some great silver age speeches about how racists are actually enemies of America trying to divide the country with their hatred.

And nothing in the last three years was about Cap being actively racist. Definitely fascist, but I read secret empire and I didn’t see anything that Cap did was that racist.

The difficulty with HYDRA is that it oscillate between a group that are "villains from a James Bond movie" to "guys who are super Nazi's."
And that leads to a really bad argument where you have to look at a load of different portrayals of HYDRA (even during Secret Empire) and figure out if making camps for Inhumans are on the same level of saying derogatory language.

And when you go down that rabbit hole, there are no winners.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

He quotes one of the best ever Cap lines (even if it's from Frank Millar) He's going to be great.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

Those were just the ones that made sense in my head. The Orphans of X arc of All-New Wolverine probably stretched the credulous limits of a Laura/HB/OML/Daken/Creed/Lady Deathstrike team-up, and there still wasn't Jimmy Hudson or the Wolverine hopping around with the Space Stone. I'm still probably forgetting some!

There is of course Albert. The robot Wolverine who hung around with a little girl robot called Elsie Dee. (LCD.)

And there was a Wolverine made of alien nanites from that Heuston Wolverine Max series (The Best There Is).

And the lil' Wolverine from the X-Babies that Mojo created.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Was the Wolverine MAX comic any good?

The Best There Is?
It's not a Max series as in being out of continuity. It was just super violent and with a bit of body horror.

But I really liked it. Nice 12 part limited series with great art by the guy who drew Black Summer and Robocop.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Decius posted:

I can nearly hear the cocaine being snorted before and after this stroke of a genius.

By all accounts the director was a guy who had never worked on anything this big before. So he pretty much cracked under the pressure. Stories abounding of him staying inside a tent unable to come out on set, that kind of stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I don't think people were annoyed that the Human Torch likes fast cars.

More the dumb and contrived plot that Johnny is bad with said cars and makes them explode. So his dad punishes him by putting him in charge of a super secret government lab.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

X-O posted:

I mean, not really. They kept his comic backstory about being the son of an alien and then growing up and stealing a ship and going into space but filled in some existing holes by having him meet up with Yondu like in the movie.

Did they modify/get rid of his 70's original origin about how he joined NASA specifically to get into the Space program so he could murder aliens, and they kicked him out for being too obsessive?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The more interesting implications are things like Franklin Richards wondering "so what if all the heroes died except Wolverine and also the Hulk hosed his cousin?"

Actually time-jumping the kids' ages makes a lot more sense. A teenage Franklin would think of a lot of Marvel's "edgier" ideas

After Secret Wars finished, the name of the DC thread on BSS for a while was
"The New 52 DC Thread: Not one of Franklin's better ideas."

I found it hilarious.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

When Galactus freaked out because the Human Torch was holding it and had no idea what he was playing around with, he wasn't kidding.

I always preferred when the Ultimate Nullifier was treated as this unimaginable cosmic weapon of destruction. Not like the time Scott Lobdell had it show up in his Fantastic Four run and it's treated like an energy shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Archyduke posted:

I mean the angel of death stuff was silly but most of what you're describing is in, like, the very first story the character ever appeared in, which wasn't even by Bendis.

The Best origin for the Sentry is his origin from the Ages of the Sentry mini series. That he's a Cosmic being who is constantly re-writing history to let himself exist in the 616 universe.

• Locked thread