Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I like Red Wolf a lot and I will be sad if (or apparently, when) they cancel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Spidey #7 is on the June solicits as far as I can tell.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Here is how I'd rank the Marvel titles I've tried out since the launch of ANAD.

Titles I still buy and look forward to regularly every month (my favorite of ANAD): Agents of SHIELD, Captain Marvel, Invincible Iron Man, Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, Red Wolf, Silk, Spider Woman, Ultimates, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vision
Titles I buy monthly but can't quite call my favorite: A-Force, Daredevil, Old Man Logan
Titles I tried out and dropped down to reading trade only: Amazing Spider-Man, Contest of Champions, Patsy Walker, Silver Surfer, Star Lord, Spidey
Titles I tried out and dropped entirely: ANAD Avengers, All New Hawkeye, All New Inhumans, All New X-Men, Angela, Black Knight, Doctor Strange (biggest disappointment of ANAD), Extraordinary X-Men, Howling Commandos of SHIELD, Illuminati, New Avengers, Scarlet Witch, Spider Gwen, Squadron Supreme, Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny Inhumans, Uncanny X-Men
Titles that I like but are too new to have made a real decision on yet: Black Widow, Karnak, Mockingbird, Power Man and Iron Fist

And I'm looking forward to the launches of Black Panther, Nighthawk and Punisher here soon.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm not normally too into the Marvel Cosmic stuff, but seeing the Abnett/Lanning Guardians omnibus coming out in a few months sort of made me want to check out their run. I realize they did a lot of cosmic stuff across multiple titles (and over a long period of time), so I'm wondering if there is an accepted reading order or recommended high points from their stuff that I should check out. Is it all related or can I pretty much read whatever runs/events look good?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Has New Avengers gotten that much better? I dropped it after the first arc because I wasn't into the story or art at all, which was a shame because I'm a big Ewing fan. I also dropped Contest of Champions because it felt completely divorced from everything else and I thought I'd be fine to read it in trade or on MU. Sounds like that might have been a mistake too.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've found a lot of good reading orders (and a lot of good reading guidance in general) at comicbookherald.com. The guy goes back quite a ways and has rankings/recommendations for tons and tons of Marvel.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you liked Kill Bill, today's Spider Woman is, uh, really something

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Its sales are in the safe zone. It doesn't do gang busters but it's above other titles that are in no danger of being canceled. And if historic trends are any guide, it probably does better than average in digital sales.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/08/civil-war-ii-3-and-marvel-now-previews-to-ge-a-midnight-release-on-tuesday-july-12th/

A midnight opening for Civil War #3 and Marvel NOW! Previews. #2 better have a hell of a cliffhanger, I guess?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is Aaron also staying on Doctor Strange? FosThor, Odinson, Dr Strange, Southern Bastards, The Goddamned... that's a lot of writing.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The Big Bang Comics guys were posting on Twitter that they did a big FOC cut on Champions at the last minute because it didn't seem to have much buzz or many preorders among their customers, and even then it only sold half of what they ordered. Lot of retailers seemed to be expressing similar sentiments. So that Bleeding Cool poll isn't a big surprise.

And for a more local anecdote, I was in my LCS today and asked the owner how it sold. He said they were selling 200-250 copies of the biggest Marvel books when when ANAD launched, but for Champions he had 14 pulls. Those all sold and he ordered another 20 for the wall. Most of them were still there after 5 days on sale. Cage and Jessica Jones did worse and he didn't even sell a dozen Death of X. It does sound like some of the Now books that launch in November and December will sell better, but for now it's pretty grim.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I haven't paid close attention to what's going on with the Legacy stuff but as far as I can tell it isn't going to touch Ms. Marvel or most of the new X-Men books they've got started, which is fine with me since that's all I read from Marvel.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm just sitting down now to finish up the Waid/Samnee run on Daredevil and I have enjoyed it as much as any comics I have read in quite some time.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

How much of the pre-Claremont X-Men stuff is worth reading? I just picked up the three omnibus hardcovers of Claremont's stuff, but I thought I might try to use MU to read the 60-odd issues that came before his run started. After 20-25 issues I'm not finding much to like, as the stories are usually incredibly verbose and use a ton of words to tell stories that are ultimately very simple and rote. If it gets better at some point and the next 40+ issues are worth checking out, I'm happy to keep going, but if people only read this stuff nowadays for the sake of history and/or completionism, I think I'd rather just get started on my omnibus.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've been reading the Claremont X-Men omnibus editions and I'm about done with the third one. For some reason, I never realized there are no more after the third one even though the series goes on for like 100 more issues. Is there any reason they stopped where they did? Does the series go way downhill after this? I like the run well enough that I'd just keep reading it on Marvel Unlimited, but if it takes a sharp dive that might make me reconsider.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Maybe that will change when that new Lemire series starts because that will undoubtedly be the only good extended run the Sentry character has ever featured in.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I just got home from work and had a chance to read the X-Men Gold issue. I'm glad I was able to avoid spoilers because reading that final twist and then seeing the splash page advertising the new series was awesome. I'll be picking that up for sure.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Most of it is setup about Reynolds's life in New York and how Strange set the Sentry/Void up in a pocket universe (I had no idea about this, but I wasn't current on Sentry's story at all). The plot kicks in on the last few pages and there's a cliffhanger. If you're iffy on it I'd wait another issue or two to see where it's going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I hadn't been keeping up on Weapon X but I just sat and read the first two trades and the crossover with Hulk. What a big bunch of nutty fun that series is. I'm strongly considering trying to catch up and start picking it up in floppies. Is Weapon H as good?

• Locked thread