Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

That's good to hear someone liked it that much.

I've seen almost universal praise for the Punisher in DD season 2. This is just going off comments and reviews and stuff, but most people I've seen say that he's the best part of season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah for sure, but at the same time there's not much that's really unique about that take on the character, it's just good writing and acting.

Well, that is a huge part of it. Bernthal absolutely murdered it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Angela and Howling Commandos are done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really good interview with TNC about his upcoming Black Panther run.

I wonder if Fox News is going to help him sell more books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good issue, a lot of set up and ground work has been laid. It's interesting because there are a lot of people, I imagine, for whom this will be the first comic they ever read. BP is a fairly obscure character to people who don't follow comics, and he's all the way in his own country in Africa completely separated from the MCU NY that most people know about, so he's got to nail a lot of exposition. It's too early to tell if the overall story would be good, but for his first comic I thought the dialogue was very good and naturalistic.

I was also interested to see how he would integrate a lot of his political themes in, and I thought they were fairly clearly present but well integrated into the body of the story so that they don't seem to be awkward morality plays. Since abuse of power by police has become such an notable issue in the last few years, I think it's interesting that he flipped it a bit, where the "police" are acting in favor of actual justice, but are still in the wrong because they are acting extra-judicially.

Great art though, some real stunners of panels, and I like the look of Afro-futurism that Stelfreeze is bringing to the book.

Couple of questions, is the mechanical Iron Man style mask new to the character? Also, remind me of how Shuri died.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I hope it isn't any good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm down for more Dillon's Frank Face memes

I actually think Olivetti is about as bad.

He's on Venom right now right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since I'm only on this side of it it could just be bias, but is a lot of talent moving from DC to Marvel?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

At least until you scroll down to the faces.

Team Handsome Squidward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently Prez is still coming back with Caudwell, so I don't know if I'd count this.
Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire and Andreas Sorrentino were huge last year. They weren't exclusive, but were doing mostly DC, while DC got John Romita Jr. I think Marvel won that one.

Now DC's got a Sam Humphries comic coming out while Cullen Bunn's seemingly quit them. Greg Pak strangely didn't have a Rebirth comic announced, so I'd say that's one for Marvel, but it just got announced that he's on this new Kamandi project, so I dunno. His Action Comics artist, Aaron Kuder was absent from the Rebirth announcement, while just getting pegged for Marvel covers. That might be something. Tom King got married to DC, which put an end to him writing Marvel's best comic.

The biggest loss for DC right now is definitely the entire Batgirl team to an Image comic, but there was also Marvel guys Esad Ribic and Jerome Opena at that thing. Genevieve Valentine fell out of DC, but hasn't got a Marvel comic either. Both companies threw away Marguerite Bennett this year.

I'm gonna stop trying to think of examples now, but it doesn't seem to be a landslide either way.

I have no idea how exclusivity or contracts work, are most creators free to do whatever or are most locked into a single company?

X-O posted:

Speaking of previews, oh man, the art in Moon Knight is gorgeous

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/moon-knight-1-marvel-comics-2016-1

Should I be psyched about a Lemire Moon Knight?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah, but I've heard he's one of DC's better writers. Or at least one of the writers who I hear about at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When they "killed" Johnny, did they do that whole "Oh he's dead for ever and for sure" marketing stuff?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno, I guess I should be used to it, but I hate it when they do that. Like, yeah one day I fully expect Charles Xavier and Original Wolverine to be back but when you kill off a guy knowing full well when and how he's coming back and act like it's a huuuge deal, gently caress you.

Not that the death and resurrection of Johnny Storm wasn't fantastic but that's an exception due to Hickman's amazing powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People joke about Jean Grey but Professor X is the real culprit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oooh new Jessica Jones comic maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw a random panel with Cap Sam, Bucky and back-to-normal-Cap. How'd that happen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cap sure gets a lot of plot developments from Cosmic Cube wishes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Or they printed enough of #5 the first time around that it didn't need to go to reprints. Not everything is a big ol' conspiracy.

Oh my god this goes all the way up to Endless Mike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Guess what the last page of the issue before the crossover was?

This is my face while I'm loving you in the rear end :kiddo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never read Howard the Duck in my life, is that supposed to be Lea Thompson's character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This sorry son of bitch from r/marvel is trying to put together a reading order of every Marvel comic since 1998.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18NMoX6ZoiKDtOrOxxIRw1C2VRE5Io9aZWu2RZUW6cWs/edit#gid=1525803154

:patriot:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Modern" Marvel. I guess its post or circa Avengers Disassembled, which most people use as the mark of the "new" or "decompression" or "widescreen" or "loving Bendis" Era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

That was 2004-2005, so that can't be it.

Hmm, well here's the post itself. Looks like he just wanted to start post-90's and picked that year as a good starting point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

I have no idea what the hell is going on here, but god bless Al Ewing.

Is that Leinil Yu?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Rocafort , he's been the artist on every issue and his insane cosmic stuff is amazing. The splash page of Eternity bound in chains is poster material.

Yeah it's gorgeous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Black Bolt released the terrigen mists by himself and the rest of the Inhumans were pretty loving appalled by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Ultimates are aware that something happened and is the motivation of their first arc. I think T'Challa and Reed (and the FF) are the only ones that know exactly unless it's been explained elsewhere. Doom probably knows too. And I think the Maker in NA is aware of the universe rebooting.

Yeah somehow Ewing was able to make the name of IAP alternative currency have interesting meaning and plot implications.

• Locked thread