Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading through the original Luke Cage comics and it's interesting that "Sweet sister!" is his main exclamation early on. I just finished an issue though where Señor Muerte is defeated and Cage goes "Christmas!" twice in the span of a few moments. Makes it seem like originally it was a very PG way of having him yell "Christ!" maybe.

Eagerly awaiting when Englehart finally fuses the two!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does anyone care about Happy or Pepper? They're gone for so long in the comics and that happens to be the best period of Iron Man comics to boot. They came back when Busiek relaunched post-Heroes Reborn but I dunno how influential that run is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toxxupation posted:

This is the most spiderman.jpg panel I've seen in a long, long time.

I really wish colourists could colour the web pattern on Spider-Man's costume so that it doesn't look like it's made of segments of some hard/shiny material. We've been there before:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Comics should always be trying to infuse new experienced and ideas into their worlds. Get people of colour, make sure there are plenty of women, try to get young talent, people outside of comics or who weren't huge fans growing up, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The 80s had some of the best Marvel runs ever, for so many different characters. I don't know when exactly Shooter presided over them (well, I know during Secret Wars at least) but it would make sense that some people pine for that era again even if what they're doing is attributing the stories to Shooter and not the rest of the editors and writers/artists.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Byrne also has a story where he claims that Shooter was criticising a piece of Spider-Man art out where the entire office could hear him - I believe it was by Saviuk - and Byrne claims he delivered an epic :iceburn: that left Shooter speechless and resulted in the whole bullpen bursting into applause. I'm somewhat less inclined to believe this, because I have also heard that John Byrne once hosted a barbecue where Jim Shooter was burned in effigy.

If it was Saviuk I'm not surprised. Getting to Web Of in the rotation of all the Spidey comics always a letdown.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SynthOrange posted:

If Vision and Kitty both go intangible, can they slapfight each other?

I really don't know why but I pictured Vision and Kitty going intangible and then Doctor Strange in his astral form doing some Three Stooges slapstick hits on the two of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There are some things that the movies and later comics pulled from The Ultimates so if you're interested in that kind of stuff it's a good read. Cap's look, SHIELD's designs, the Chitauri, and obviously the big one being Nick Fury who is straight up Samuel L. Jackson.

But if you can get your hands on The Authority I would read that first to see where The Ultimates comes from.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How did Peter David describe those kids walking?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I hear Aunt May likes stocky, balding, funny men.

Pray she never meets Puck.

"So, tell me, how is it that a man like you, so bald and so quirky and funny... how is it you're not taken?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Foolkiller is a bad name. It was silly when he showed up in Spider-Man back in the day and it's silly now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Marvel is doing bad because they killed Cyclops. They deserve all of this.

An eye for an eye, then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

First issue better be titled "Ice to Meet You".

They have to be careful not to use up all their pun energy on story titles when the letters page will need a good name.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Fist really improves once Claremont and Byrne come aboard. Iron Fist's early stories in Marvel Premiere are good but by the end it falls into a predictable pattern familiar to anyone who's ever seen cartoons, Power Rangers, etc. where the beginning and middle of every fight is just the reader waiting until the Iron Fist is unleashed at the end to win the fight. Claremont starts playing around with that almost immediately with Iron Fist's self-titled series and it's much better for it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spoiler discussion: Tony being dead for a while is good, right? Seemed weird if they were going to try to make Riri happen with the original still hanging around

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cannonball looking super pumped to be on that cover.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope the Phoenix brings everyone back but then singles out Hank and burns him to nothing in a 2 page spread while everyone claps because gently caress you, Hank. You are and will forever be the worst.

Ewww, burnt cat hair.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

It ended but it ended with Flash still being Venom, he's just back in Philly and no longer being in space. He didn't lose the symbiote or anything.

I hope the symbiote remains with him. Bonding it with Flash is one of the best ideas about symbiotes they've ever had.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Flash's character will always be the absolute best any storyline can get out of Venom without huge changes and I hope they stick to it.

The reverse is also true, Venom getting the most out of Flash, which is why I think it was such a great pairing. It physically rehabs Flash in a way that isn't a cheap magical hand wave, it fulfills his Spider-Man/hero envy, and it utilizes his military background in a way other than making him a sad sack vet. They had basically turned him into mid-movie Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump. I remember reading the comic where he was framed for the accident and crippled, thinking they may as well have just killed him.

Edit: Wait, conflating two different events here. I meant framed for accident and left comatose. Losing his legs came later.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

Did Flash have a military background prior to being paired with Venom?

He went to and came back from war in the Gwen Stacy era. It's where he met/rescued Sha Shan, his wife.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Venom hosts, I thought Anti-Venom was a great direction for Brock. He's been a deranged do-gooder for so long that making him a twisted white knight was a cool idea. Gave Brock new potential. Oh well...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finished "Triumph & Torment" over the weekend, that Strange/Doom comic where they travel to Hell Mephisto's realm to save the soul of Doom's mom.

drat (no pun intended). That is required reading for any Marvel fan. Even the ones who aren't fully up to speed on either character because one nice bonus of the comic is that both of their origin stories are covered (Strange's being much more brief than Doom's). Actually it is more of a Doom story, really, with Strange there to get and keep the plot moving and indeed make it possible even in the first place since Doom is not as powerful a sorcerer. I've read comics that tell a similar origin for Doom and I'm not a Doom expert but these comics I'm talking about came much later so it feels like T&T was an important milestone, like one of those old issues you read and you go "aha, this is where it came from!" An influential work that later writers built upon, but maybe I'm wrong and Roger Stern is re-telling material that someone earlier wrote?

The art is gorgeous. Pencils by Mike Mignola, and if that's not enough to get you to read the colours are also fantastic. A lot (all?) of the comics on Marvel Unlimited seem a little too perfect in that decades-later-clean-up-job way that should be familiar to anyone who's read Marvel Masterworks that cover the really old stuff. Maybe it's just my expectation that reading anything old should look like faded newsprint that's been in the attic for too many years but ANYWAY this graphic novel does not have that issue. The colours look painted, specifically watercolours, and they are really beautiful but also quite different than most comics you'll read from that late 80s era.

Carve out some time for yourself since it's 80 pages and read it. Highly recommended.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe Mjolnir just likes the ladies more.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Onmi posted:

In a move that shocked... no one. Seriously raise your hands if this shocked you, it appears that Solo is dead before Issue #2 comes out, "Vol 1" was taken off the trade in amazon, which is what happened to Black Knight, Howling Commandos Of SHIELD, and Angela. The only book this happened to that wasn't cancelled was Moon Girl, I figure that was mostly due to it being an all-ages title.

Turns out nobody really gives a poo poo about Solo. In fact I am almost certain that beyond my directly mentioning him in this post, the fact that Solo existed was something your minds had wiped over, if you even know who he is to begin with.

I remember a lot of green and brown pouches and vests.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

I don't really care that books like Black Knight, Hyperion, Red Wolf, Nighthawk or now Solo get cancelled and end up being minis. I like that Marvel is giving them a chance to have a series in the first place and I hope they continue to do that. I like having stories from these lesser known characters and eventually one or two of them will probably turn out to be popular if they keep giving them a chance.

Why aren't they just intended as mini's in the first place? If they do gangbusters, consider an ongoing. If not, oh well.

Look at the history of Marvel's A-list and B-list characters. There's no one way these things happen. They all have varied publication experiments and successes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

When I was young and into comics for basically the first five years or maybe more, I never knew of any of the creators involved. I just followed the stories and characters I liked. The one exception was Jim Starlin because I liked the Marvel Cosmic stuff so much and just noticed that his name was on a ton of the stuff I loved. Honestly I didn't really know much about who did what until I started reading Wizard Magazine. My first comic shop was more of sports memorabilia and trading card shop that also had comics and my friends that also liked comics were just as clueless as me when it came to creators on things.

I started noticing artists long before writers (though Starlin is both so I'm not sure which half of his duties caught your attention more). I'd pick up an issue with such-and-such doing the pencils and be more excited about reading it and then eventually I would notice their style without seeing their name. Of course, having cover artists be different than interior artists always sucked. It felt like it was always the interior artist being a let-down from the cover artist and never the opposite. Never a good surprise.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh poo poo, Marvel Unlimited added Damage Control this week. I've always wanted to read those.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

The way I understand it is that he is pure energy so when he "dies" his energy is just being scattered and to be "resurrected" he just needs to be gathered.

Not gathered. Reshuffled.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Isn't Jonboy what Garfield's Jon is called by his family?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It was all just a TV show that someone was watching on Mojoworld.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fadam posted:

Yeah, I'll definitely check out the first issue at least. I'm not smart enough to articulate what it is about that art style I like, but I really dig it.

-vibrant
-expressive
-clear visual storytelling
-no T&A
-no excessive detail like cross-hatching, lets colours do the heavy lifting (could also simplify this to "cartoony" or "like an animated series")
-different models for the women

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, the characters do actually have boobs and butts. I guess "male gaze" or "sexy poses" works better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People find it hard to say "woke" sincerely because they're not black and they correctly think they sound like awkward white people trying out new slang.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who is that at the end? Ultron? Annihilus?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maxwell Adams posted:

Pretty sure that was the final boss of Super Ghouls & Ghosts.

Oh so that second pair of eyes was actually there in the scene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

My first thought was Thanos because of the relevance of the Infinity Stones.

Has to be everyone's first thought given the Stones and the throne but there's no visual match to how Thanos has ever looked.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not joking when I say it is probably this guy:

Not doubting you. Just saying how not-Thanos it is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Part of Captain Marvel's power set that she shares with lots of energy-based or cosmic characters from Marvel and DC is an ill-defined magic costume ability so her look can be whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Since they probably won't put Hank Pym in the game they'll need to do the classic combo move that Scott Lang used.

In that second panel all of Scott's cognitive function has completely disappeared. I'm talking Westworld-style shutdown.

• Locked thread