Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Years ago, Coding Horror reported what is perhaps the oddest Markov-generated Genu-wine Humon Comment I've ever seen.

I've been scratching my head over it ever since, but 'boil the orange sponge donkey' briefly went into my vocabulary, meaning 'kludge an impossible task'.

It's having unexpected new relevance in the era of Trump.

This post is bringing back fond memories. Years back I wrote a Markov babble generator and seeded it with the book of Revelation and legendary power rangers erotic fan fiction Agony in Pink. I used this to spam the off-topic minimal rules board of some computer game forum, maybe Warhammer online, I can't remember.

I should break that thing out again and go to town on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

"Vaguely north" is pretty much all that's going to be useful to you, anyway. If you're lost in the woods, you're probably not going to know which way you should be pointing within .0001 degrees. Even if you do know, and you have a hyper-accurate compass, the terrain isn't going to let you move on a laser line.

I don't know why I'm defending the cheap compasses, but there you have it.

is there a boy scout version of :eng99: because that's basically my reaction to this post

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scathach posted:

...oh. Guess this is the picture version of "runs great, in great shape except engine makes knocking sound."

To be fair, the truck doesn't look too bad aside from having been eaten by a vine monster. With thorns. Because of course.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jojoinnit posted:

I'm honestly surprised that a Dodge lasted so long and presumably well. When I was growing up you didn't touch American cars past the ten year mark unless you did your own work or it was a hobby car.

My first car was a '94 Plymouth Voyager. I drove it from 2003 to 2010. It needed a new front engine mount at one point and the rear windows opened if you took a turn too fast, but other than that it really didn't give me any problems.

The Dodge caravan my parents got after giving the Voyager to me would randomly lock and unlock itself, the CD player sometimes wouldn't eject, and the AC had to be fixed multiple times. But the engine never gave them any trouble.

American cars are weird.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AlbieQuirky posted:

I miss the shoplifting subReddit, that was hilarious. :sigh:

The best was people with posts in that board posting to r/legaladvice asking for help after being :frogsiren: FALSELY ACCUSED:frogsiren: of theft. It happened on a weekly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I like how the clown bust manages to not be the weirdest thing in that picture.